Comet Discovery via R&D

First thread was closed out due to talking about the A-word. So ignoring the A-word part of my old post... how about the idea of the random orbit comets? Here is the old closed thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/49606-Comet-or-Asteroid-R-D

Idea: With the new purchase system in the R&D system, perhaps we could use science points to "Discover" a comet roaming the Kerbol system. When we purchase the discovery, a ship or debris object is placed into a random orbit. Being considered a part allows the comet to interact with planetary bodies and other ships.

Second of all, it's unrealistic. I'm pretty sure NASA didn't "purchase" comets.

No, but people do discover these kind of objects. Fluff wise, these objects were always there, but your brave Kerbals used their science to find them. That is the main part of this idea, another use for the R&D mechanic being introduced. Obviously I don't expect this in the next build or even many down the line. Just... making a suggestion.

Also I checked, Comets are not outright banned on the list. It was my bad that I had not checked the list prior to the last post.

Well of course people discover them, but they don't just purchase them. It would be much better, if you, well, FOUND them!?And that aren't on the list because asteroids are almost the same as comets (balls of stuff floatin' in space), so they are pretty much the same category.

Also: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/49196-Aliens-disasters-asteroids-and-comets?highlight=Comets

Hello there :)

Comets, Asteroids, whatever you want to call it: It's a prerequisite for this suggestion, and any such bodies are covered under "New stars, planets, moons and asteroids" in the What not to suggest? list. Reposting this and "ignoring the A-word" doesn't change that.

There's also a valid point in waiting to see just how the R&D system works. Perhaps you can think of a much more fitting idea on how to implement it once you have actually used it.

With that said, I'm closing this now.

FEichinger

I agree, now if the mods close this thread it would be madness. I mean, it is a valid suggestion. And you aren't saying just add them. It is a good idea real space programs do. And astronamers

Thank you, we still decide for ourselves what we do and don't close. Funny how that works. Please do refrain from telling us how to do our jobs, will ya.