Decal Letters and Numbers

AncientGammoner

This is something I made for myself but I thought other people might have some use for it. Earlier today I was thinking "It sure would be nice to be able to write on the side of my vehicle". Not wanting to write yet another complicated plugin, I thought why not just keep it simple and make an ultra thin part with a transparent shader that surface attaches. A couple hours later...

2qx0u45.png

Why are they blue? Because I had to choose a color and I like blue, that's why. If you want to change it to black or alter the font or use the Greek alphabet or whatever, the textures are very easily editable pngs. I included a txt document on how to make your own, it's really simple, just plop the texture into the folder and change a few lines of text. You can put really anything you want on it, like this picture and flag I tested out (which are not included in the download to avoid any copyright issues):

z3245.png

Download here

How to use

The decals can sometimes be tricky to attach or can jut out at odd angles when attached to curved walls. This is because collider meshes for most models are very simple and boxy. Use Shift + W,A,S,D,Q,E to fine tune the position of the decal on curved walls.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

WOW! Simple and elegant! Excellent work bubba!

Literally laying in bed thinking about this EXACT thing last night. You are inside my head! Great work.

EDIT: My idea was to somehow implement this as some sort of plugin to add layers to already existing textures procedurally, with alpha layers and everything. Not even remotely sure if this is feasible.

Uuhhhh this looks great! (But im also at Work :( )

I prefer em to be black, to make some neat decals on my Saturn V.

Anyway... a scaling option would also be great :D

1: Grrr why would you want black, the Saturn V decals are clearly red. But the model I have gave me black whyyyyy

2: Back on topic, you could probably use rescalefactor = whatever to rescale.

Anyway... a scaling option would also be great :D

You could change the rescaleFactor if you want it bigger or smaller.

Literally laying in bed thinking about this EXACT thing last night. You are inside my head! Great work.

EDIT: My idea was to somehow implement this as some sort of plugin to add layers to already existing textures procedurally, with alpha layers and everything. Not even remotely sure if this is feasible.

A plugin is probably feasible, I just went the simpler path with parts so I could whip it up quickly and it actually works pretty well. I'm just happy I can put flames on the side of a rocket (it does indeed make it go faster):

screenshotser8.png

As The Destroyer pointed out, reaction images are prohibited. We had a bad time a while back when many threads degenerated into nothing BUT reaction images, making it impossible to find the useful stuff buried in amongst them.

@AncientGammoner - wild, WILD mod - I hope we see lots more "useful" decals!

So we can just change the textures and add custom logos? And if we make the texture file for the existing letters bigger will it expand the part? I would think that if I were to modify the texture for one of your letters, it would just be cut off beyond the original size of the part...? Or will the part expand to fit the texture?

Very cool! I was thinking about putting a flag on some of my mod parts (layer in a texture file) but this is much more flexible. Keep up the good work!
If you want to glue flags to your craft, there's this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46856-0-21-1-Flag-Decals-and-Flagpole-New-File-Structure

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.