Kerbals in Space! (but I'd rather they not be)

Bandus

So, I find myself in a bit of a bind.

I have been building a space station for some time now and for whatever reason it did not occur to me that each module I was sending up had Kerbal's in it. So at this point, I have a space station jam packed with Kerbals (to the point that sometimes multiple Kerbals appear on the portrait's area.

What I am trying to do is remove most of the Kerbal's completely at this point. I don't really want to fuss at this point with sending several rockets up to manually remove them, etc. I just want them gone. I tried playing with the Crew Manifest mod it seems to not have the ability to remove Kerbal's from already launched flights. I also tried editing my persistence file with limited success. It seemed like I was able to remove some Kerbal's, but removing others would cause the persistence file to become unloadable.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish my objective? Thank you!

Build a vehicle with a whole mess of Hitchhiker modules, add lots of parachutes, and return them to Kerbin en masse.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely do this if it turns out to be the only way. That said, I was hopeful for a "poof they're gone!" type solution.

Build a vehicle with a whole mess of Hitchhiker modules and slam it into the station on a retrograde course. Poof, they're gone.

LOL! Touche! Still not exactly what I meant, but that gave me a good laugh. Thank you again.

To be clear, I'm mainly wondering if there is a solution/mod/etc. that would let me just to remove them from the game and/or move them back to the recruitment center, etc.

if it doesn't like it when you remove too many kerbals from the persistence file, what if you make an empty version of the station on the ground, switch them around in the persistence file, then recover the full station and all the Kerbals inside, if that's possible.

Crap! Totally missed that. Sorry. (Reads all posts again). Lazors teleport feature? Send up a small addition to the space station with the lazor system on board. Teleport them out. They fly forever. Lol. Or just EVA them and terminate them from the tracking station.

Edited by BostLabs

Lazors teleport feature? Send up a small addition to the space station with the lazor system on board. Teleport them out. They fly forever. Lol. Or just EVA them and terminate them from the tracking station.

Unfortunately, none of them can EVA. It indicates the hatch is blocked. It seems I am about as good a space station engineer as I am a rocket engineer. :) That said, I do have the Lazors mod but never used the teleport feature. I'll definitely look into this as a quick solution. I really appreciate everyone's help!

I'm trying to understand why you'd build a station with all that crew capacity if you didn't want to crew it.

A fair question! I intended for it to be crewed and still intend for it to be crewed in the future. However, at this point, there are so many Kerbal's in it they are literally on top of one another in various portraits. I can only imagine the insanity that is occurring inside that station at this point. But in all seriousness, there are far more Kerbal's than I intended in the station at this point. I think there are only 2-3 left in the recruitment center, for example.

Hit Alt + f12 to open the debug menu. Load the "What-a-Kerbal"

This was very close to a solution. However, the problem remains that I can't get them to EVA as it indicates the hatch is blocked. In the absence of another idea, I think I will try to edit the persistence file again and move the Kerbals to a different ship on the landing pad, and from there, use crew manifest to remove them from the crew altogether (I think that'll work).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.