[WIP] R.E.L Skylon C2. Alpha Released. FAR config broken. (08 Dec 2014)

CaptainKipard

dose not load up for me in 1.0.2

As a general point, it's worth making sure that you have the current version of such plug-ins as FireSpitter. I had a bit of trouble this week with another mod that used Firespitter, and discovered that Firespitter had been updated twice last week. The latest version fixed the problem I was having, which did involve loading.

The "correct" version is not always the latest. It's possible that you might need to use the Firespitter version included with the Mod.

Since I am using 1.0.4 and there have been some significant changes to re-entry I wouldn't expect this current Skylon version to work well. I reckon there might be an earth-shattering kaboom. I got that with a few stock rockets that were suffering from heat-flow from chemical engines. It's a trade-off between the kaboom and using a heat barrier that leaves a red-hot engine in orbit as debris.

The Sklon bay is designed to match the shuttle bay width, does your model match the MK3 bay width?

No. The size was scaled down to 66% of real life and then the hull was scaled up to the nearest standard width, which is 5m.

As a general point, it's worth making sure that you have the current version of such plug-ins as FireSpitter. I had a bit of trouble this week with another mod that used Firespitter, and discovered that Firespitter had been updated twice last week. The latest version fixed the problem I was having, which did involve loading.

The "correct" version is not always the latest. It's possible that you might need to use the Firespitter version included with the Mod.

Since I am using 1.0.4 and there have been some significant changes to re-entry I wouldn't expect this current Skylon version to work well. I reckon there might be an earth-shattering kaboom. I got that with a few stock rockets that were suffering from heat-flow from chemical engines. It's a trade-off between the kaboom and using a heat barrier that leaves a red-hot engine in orbit as debris.

I'm taking a break from KSP. I wont be working on this for a while. It probably wont work well as is. It's still in alpha obviously.

• 3 months later...

Sashan, since you're educated I might have some questions for you at a later time. How active and how available would you be? Could you maybe subscribe to this thread?

First question I have is please have a look at the renders on the first page and see if you can figure out how much lift would the fuselage generate in proportion to the wings.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Sashan, since you're educated I might have some questions for you at a later time. How active and how available would you be? Could you maybe subscribe to this thread?

First question I have is please have a look at the renders on the first page and see if you can figure out how much lift would the fuselage generate in proportion to the wings.

I'm checking forum often enough, once a day at least. You can also find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Sashan13

Hmm, I'll check it, but for sure that wouldn't be some neglectible amolunt. FAR will model it automatically, without any additional configs tho.

EDIT: Apparently the simplest way would be to check the model with FAR. Can you provide some version that at least lets the game load in 1.0.4?

Edited by sashan

I haven't updated this mod at all since last December. If you're asking about changes to the game itself there are bound to be countless cfg additions that will be needed, of which I'm not even aware.

Maybe someone else is, that's why I'm asking.

One thing that would need to be made for sure - reorient left wing so it's flipped upside down. It may actually be simpler to get this working with FAR than stock, but that needs the wing to be oriented certain way, and have origin at the root.

If we can do both then that's fine but I'm more interested in stock compatibility at the moment. I'll move the origin only if I can offset the CoM to a realistic place.

Center of mass can be moved freely with CoMOffset = 0,0,0

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/11/2019 at 7:55 AM, NiL said:

I could continue this mod developement if i had models, where can i download this mod (download link broken - it's www.[nothing]/downloadlinkstuff)

If anyone is still interested, there are live repositories for this still. I recommend JadeOfMaar's repo and I have my own fork where I'm working on 1) getting a 1:1 model working for Realism Overhaul and 2) fixing FAR compatibility. I think I fixed the FAR instability issues, but the control surfaces still need their config files tweaked to make the aerodynamics more reasonable

Wait, @NiL, were you saying you need something other than the .mu files? I'm currently trying to fix the nodes on the pieces by rotating some transforms in Blender from the .mu files, and you could save me a huge amount of wasted energy if you know that's not going to work.

oh but I think I fixed FAR completely. We still might need to fudge some numbers to get it to fly well, but I think FAR compatibility is at least error-free right now on my fork.

Edited by Waifu Art Thou Romeo
Additional info

37 minutes ago, Waifu Art Thou Romeo said:

I'm currently trying to fix the nodes on the pieces by rotating some transforms in Blender from the .mu files, and you could save me a huge amount of wasted energy if you know that's not going to work

Oh, aren't nodes defined by a .cfg? I'm not very knowledgeable in modding and was hoping to restore it from .mu files only, learning on the fly (pun not intended). Never heard of placing nodes in blender through...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.