will patch .22 be save breaking?

AfailingHORSE

The new update probably won't break saves. However, to take advantage of the new R&D and tech tree features, you will probably have to start a new "career mode" save - as all of the current saves are just sandbox mode (everything already unlocked with no R&D). Your old sandbox saves should be perfectly safe.

I hope not! I'll be annoyed if two consecutive updates break saves! Its nice to have to start over everything on a fresh save every so often, but not every update.
Huh! I start over for every update. I expect things to change in each version. So I don't build massive things that I want to hang around.

I wouldn't expect it to break anything existing at this point.

They haven't indicated that there will be any physics, existing parts updates, or environment changes.

The only issue most of us should face is incorporating the new parts onto existing craft. That and a career mode base game with a tech tree will necessitate a new game save.

I am still on the same mission I started when 21.1 released. Although that mission will be complete any day now, I dont really care if the new .22 breaks my .21 saves. I will just keep my .21 folder handy and start a new mission in .22, no harm now foul in fact I like starting over with a blank slate.

Before I get hit with a barrage of disagreements, I am in the demographic that only gets to play a few hours a week. My thoughts may be different if I was playing heavily and had a lot of time invested in ships.

So far, nothing we've added has required us to break compatiblity with previous saves. That said, there's never any guarantee that it won't happen. We do try to avoid it as much as possible though.

Keep in mind though, that even if saves do remain compatible in 0.22, the R&D features won't be available in sandbox games. You'll have to start a new Career game to have a tech tree and actually do science. In sandbox mode, the experiment modules don't do much.

Cheers

.21 (which I skipped and waited for .21.1) came out only 6 weeks after I got the game so I'm not well versed in how long Squad typically goes before updates. Is there any sort of regularity to it or does it come when it comes? If there is a pattern, what does that put the ETA at?

they generally come when they come, I just saw the tech tree and thought it might break saves.

Its awesome to see Harv posting on the forums!!! :D

With any case since this is still an Alpha game, dont get to attached to your save files :) Updates come, and Ive never even tried to keep a save, I always have just started over every update. It gives me the challenge to do it better the next time :D

.21 (which I skipped and waited for .21.1) came out only 6 weeks after I got the game so I'm not well versed in how long Squad typically goes before updates. Is there any sort of regularity to it or does it come when it comes? If there is a pattern, what does that put the ETA at?

From what I've seen each update takes roughly 2 months.

Keep in mind though, that even if saves do remain compatible in 0.22, the R&D features won't be available in sandbox games. You'll have to start a new Career game to have a tech tree and actually do science. In sandbox mode, the experiment modules don't do much.

I hope they do some things. It would be cool to do science even if you can't use the points you collect from it.

I expect they'll still pop up with info... the humorous quips about the planet being round and things about the mystery goo... But the points it generates would be useless because you've already got everything unlocked in sandbox.

What I want to know is what happens to the existing science stuff? Do they generate points too?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.