2nd KSP Install for modding.

I use Steam too. I don't understand why you would remove parts for testing, as you simply don't need to use any parts you don't want to use. I do not use a separate install just for testing parts (as opposed to in game software like auto pilots), however I DO use a separate saved game just for testing mod parts. Each saved game has its own persistent file so if something gets messed up it should not affect your other saved games. But some here do use a vanilla (stock) install as well as another version for use with mods. I defer to their experience with the subject.

Dispatcher

Depending on your processor and harddrive it can sometimes take several minutes to load KSP with only the stock parts. If you're a player who uses a lot of add-ons this can get much worse. I've had loading times as high as twenty minutes. KSP also loads slower if it's not the focused window.

By having a separate instance of KSP you can have a different set of stuff for it to load, and you can also have different settings to make it run faster in general or test edge cases without messing with your play instance.

When cut down to the bare minimum parts required to test your parts/plugins, and stripped of it's IVAs, KSP can be loaded in under a minute. This is important because you may have to restart KSP many times an hour to test what you're making, and if it takes 5-20 minutes each time, that's going to slow you down, and kill your enthusiasm. Once you have it proven in your test environment you move over to your play environment (making appropriate backups), and when you find a bug you change your dev environment to suit it. Lather, Rinse, Repeat until you're happy with it.

For those who might want to do this, here is what i did to have two KSPs installed. (thanks to UbioZur for the help)

Basically i copied the whole of the KSP directory from the

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program

and placed it in its own directory somewhere else, for me I created:

C:\DEVELOPMENT\Kerbal Space Program

I then placed a shortcut to my desktop, deleted all the mods i have in GameData (except /squad), just created some subfolders to hold my parts i'm trying for learning.

I also deleted many of the Squad parts and just left a lower selection of essential parts for testing, for controls stuff, tanks, and side and bottom mount rockets etc.

I then started my KSP lowered the RES, there i had it a DEV version that for me loaded in less than 30 secs.

EASY.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.