1st time see the "Girl" Kerbal.

Sirine

It would be really nice to have companions for kerbals, like kerbal dog or kerbal giant cat. But if there would be kerbonaut girls, I won't make mixed crews - don't want them to do anything "funny" inside my rocket.

And you think having a same-gender crew is a guarantee against 'funny' business?

...How charmingly naieve. :)

Even though this is no confirmation of female kerbals, this wouldn't work anyway; the chin is too masculine, and needs to be more smooth, more rounded before I'd even think of adding females to the game. I've seen a few pictures that others have done and they all essentially have this chin I've described and it works well to establish a feminine character. Of course, it's all still up for debate as to whether or not they should be added, but I wouldn't be happy if they ended up just being long-haired versions of the guys we know and love. I guess time will tell, eh? :P

Even though this is no confirmation of female kerbals, this wouldn't work anyway; the chin is too masculine, and needs to be more smooth, more rounded before I'd even think of adding females to the game. I've seen a few pictures that others have done and they all essentially have this chin I've described and it works well to establish a feminine character. Of course, it's all still up for debate as to whether or not they should be added, but I wouldn't be happy if they ended up just being long-haired versions of the guys we know and love. I guess time will tell, eh? :P

They're Kerbals, not humans. Gender differences between species/races vary.

The only difference between male and female Kerbals might be long hair and an alternate snack preference, who knows? :P

Kerbals are asexual. They have neither males nor females, nor giving nor taking in marriage, on Kerbin or in whatever afterlife they have. Kerbals are demonstrably fungi. They reproduce by releasing a huge cloud of spores when they die. Any resemblance of any individual Kerbal to some gender in the Animal (as opposed to Fungi) Kingdom is purely coincidental. At best it's the result of some aspect of their alien biology unknown to us human observers. At worst it's yet another example of the human tendency to anthropomorphize all other lifeforms.

Universe replacer just changes the textures, last time I checked.

This makes it pretty limited. You can modify shadows to make a male face look more female in 2D, but this is not going to work as well in 3D. Modifying shape is more effective, (I've done this kind of thing with Photoshop) but not possible with Universe replacer, as far as I know.

Alien biologies aside, I'd love to see more female looking kerbals, as I view them as human analogues, with some extra toughness for better gameplay/space exploration.

Claira's kerbal avatar looks more feminine due to the effect the hair has on the look of shoulders, and the association of dresses and long hair with being female. (Though my hair is almost that long...). Closer inspection of the face looses the effect slightly, but it's not too bad, for just an avatar.

Edited by Tw1

Kerbals are asexual and reproduce via spores upon death, in my headcannon at least. Since they aren't human, their culteral and social systems are wildly different than ours, Even if they WERN'T genderless we'd probably never be able to recognize it becuase we base our views of Male and Female off of ourselves.

Therefore it's entirely possible that every Kerbal in the space program, Jeb included, is Female or feminine in personality. PLOTTWIST

For now, I'll just say that the female astronauts are "in training"

They're actually all held in the unclickable mission control building, sewing space suits and making sandwiches for the astronauts.

It's not the best of working conditions (hence it being unclickable) and as far as I'm aware they're yet to organise a suffragettes movement.

RAHHHHHH THE DEVS HAVE SAID TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT KSP IS GENDERLESS RAHH. /rage end.

I counter this by saying that the devs also stated they have the right to change their plans at anytime so although that my be the current official statement it could change at some point.

in my opinion I think that was just something to help lessen the arguments and female kerbals are an unanounced planned feature. Though I wouldn't expect to see them added anytime till the game is out of alpha.

look at the arguments started about warpdrives when it was mentioned as an idea.

link please?

Have fun:

http://imgur.com/a/wOGg3#0

Universe replacer just changes the textures, last time I checked.

This makes it pretty limited. You can modify shadows to make a male face look more female in 2D, but this is not going to work as well in 3D. Modifying shape is more effective, (I've done this kind of thing with Photoshop) but not possible with Universe replacer, as far as I know.

Just lengthening the hair using that texture instantly changes the perceived gender, you don't even need to give them chin surgery!

Anyway, my theory of female Kerbals is that they do exist but none have become astronauts, given how real life astronauts are predominantly male. KSP's parts are clearly inspired by the USA's space program, so the first female Kerbal isn't due to enter space until 1983-Kerbal-equivalent. If we take the Kerbal Space Program to begin in 1957-Kerbal-equivalent, that's 26-Kerbal-equivalent years and KSP hasn't been released for that long.

Edited by Holo