[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

KerbPaint still works like a charm, why close it? I think if a moderator is going to close this thread in lieu of another it should be for a thread that actually already has the "new" mod available, otherwise it's unreasonable. If anything what this thread needs is savy people making patches for more mods :) though I think the main problem with that is that mods and the game itself are in constant change still.

It has many bugs, and many features are missing. For example, painting with symmetry only works half the time. Copy/paste doesn't work. There is no save/load preset. There is no custom colour saver, but there is a custom colour creator. A replacement would be better for us all. If you don't think so, you don't have to. I just think it would be for the best...

It does have some bugs, I'll give it that :P but everything I've encountered has a work-around. For example if you are painting a wing that has a symmetric clone, you simply copy the set from the wing you first painted and re-paint the cloned wing with the paste set button, even if the wing shows already painted. The other bug is with the copy set itself, and the work-around is to simply click the paste set button once on 2 of the 3 colors available. For instance, if you copy the set color for the wing, in order to paste the set on the cloned wing you pick any of the 3 layers (primary, secondary or tertiary), click paste set, and then pick another layer and paste the set again. It *is* a bit of a hassle but at least you don't have to repaint the entire part all over again or re-create your custom color :P Keep those 2 tricks in mind and paint will work 100% of the time =D

The "unincluded" features are just convenience things that one could argue are out of the scope for the mod :P I mean the mod works perfectly for me and aside from being unable to paint a mod part because there is no direct patch for that mod, I can do exactly what the mod is made for, paint parts. Mod does not need a replacement, and this is exactly why I don't think anyone will go out of their way to basically make a clone of it :P A fan-made update though, I'm all up for that ^^.

In any case, because of possible bugs or possible new patches for paint-able mod parts I think it's even bigger a reason to keep the thread open, so people can discuss and share within the same mod's thread. Now a new thread that has, say, a link to every patch made on the first post, now that could be very handy :)

As for part patches, I think I may tackle a couple of those myself. I enjoying building things in KSP and I find myself often needing to paint a part that is not currently paint-able, so I might just make a few of my own and post them here. Not entirely sure when though.

Cheers!

I am going to have to go with MonaBabii on this one. As it stands now, some one can update this and post the update here (as people have done with adding additional parts since the last release). If any one, such as Espresso truly feels this mod is done, and needs to create a new one fully, then they still can. When that day comes, and they release there mod, we can close down this thread... Until then as people can still positively contribute, and there are not other options, I see no reason to end this thread.

Can anyone confirm for me if this is working with version 0.25? If so, I'd be willing to repackage it with an updated module manager and if anyone has a more complete/functional cfg for it to ship with, as the download needs to be updated to conform to the license inclusion rule changes in my absence.

Edited by Texel

TEXEL'S ALIVE!!! Actually, it works excepting the occasional bug. If you look back through the pages, there's a few mod part packs. If you get the chance though, could you fix the symmetry and copy paste bugs. If you've got the time, could you please add presets, numbers to the sliders, and an option to save a custom colour. Also, a Paint all button would be great.(I did notice you replying to my other thread, sorry if anything I just listed isn'r doable) Just my requests, it works still, like I said, excepting the symmetry and copy/paste bugs.

Edited by Espresso

TEXEL'S ALIVE!!! Actually, it works excepting the occasional bug. If you look back through the pages, there's a few mod part packs. If you get the chance though, could you fix the symmetry and copy paste bugs. If you've got the time, could you please add presets, numbers to the sliders, and an option to save a custom colour. Also, a Paint all button would be great.(I did notice you replying to my other thread, sorry if anything I just listed isn'r doable) Just my requests, it works still, like I said, excepting the symmetry and copy/paste bugs.

Going to try to avoid having to recompile the mod if I can help it, at the moment I'm really just looking for updated .cfg's, anyone whose made updated/improved textures (I know there are some issues with the current release, for instance) for inclusion in the main download, as I'm going to need to update it to comply to the new terms and supply an updated version of ModuleManager. I know serveral people made additional mod support packs/cfg tweaks, but as I believe Manwith Noname put it, the licensing is weird with respect to distributing textures derived from KSP.

Ideally what I'd like to see, is including a subfolder with appropriate cfg's and license for any masks/part configs in an addon, in addition to if somebody has completed stock support I'd be particularly eager to swap out the stock configs and credit contributors- That said, there are quite a few addon downloads in this thread, none with the kind of licenses I'd need to distribute alongside the mod, nor do I have the time or resources to download every additional mod and confirm compatibility (B9 support is what killed me in the first place)

Little off topic, but where have you been Texel? You just sort of, disappeared... Was it personal issues, an accident, something else, or are you unable to say? Just curious, don't mind if I don't get a answer. The weird thing was that your profile showed you were online every month or so, but you never posted...

...at the moment I'm really just looking for updated .cfg's, anyone whose made updated/improved textures (I know there are some issues with the current release, for instance) for inclusion in the main download...

You have my approval to include any of the stock parts I have covered. This is basically the stockified SP+ parts and the small landing gear. I do have plans to revisit them at some point but that will not be in the near future. I'm kind of waiting to see if any changes get made over the coming updates.

As far as the packs for mods, I feel mod packs are best left as seperate installs as not all kerbpainters may be using the same collection of mods. I would however approve linking to the post from the opening thread. This will allow me (or others) to update packs without hassling you to update the link in the OP.

I guess there is some crossover with the Procedural Wings I painted and configured as you already included support. I have updated my own files to include the Proc SP+ wings but can't remember if I uploaded the new pack. If you feel you want to include mod support from the base pack, I'm not saying you cannot include them, just that I personally feel the base pack should cover stock and mods be covered by additional downloads.

In regard to permissions and licenses, to me this is a bit of a grey area. Technically, there is nothing in any of the packs I uploaded that belongs to a mod author. I did however use a given mods textures as a reference to paint over. Nevertheless, with any mod I covered and uploaded packs, I did seek approval from the mods author to do so if their license required it.

You have my approval to include any of the stock parts I have covered. This is basically the stockified SP+ parts and the small landing gear. I do have plans to revisit them at some point but that will not be in the near future. I'm kind of waiting to see if any changes get made over the coming updates.

As far as the packs for mods, I feel mod packs are best left as seperate installs as not all kerbpainters may be using the same collection of mods. I would however approve linking to the post from the opening thread. This will allow me (or others) to update packs without hassling you to update the link in the OP.

I guess there is some crossover with the Procedural Wings I painted and configured as you already included support. I have updated my own files to include the Proc SP+ wings but can't remember if I uploaded the new pack. If you feel you want to include mod support from the base pack, I'm not saying you cannot include them, just that I personally feel the base pack should cover stock and mods be covered by additional downloads.

In regard to permissions and licenses, to me this is a bit of a grey area. Technically, there is nothing in any of the packs I uploaded that belongs to a mod author. I did however use a given mods textures as a reference to paint over. Nevertheless, with any mod I covered and uploaded packs, I did seek approval from the mods author to do so if their license required it.

Great to hear! I am now required to include text on the usage terms, if you could PM me with links to your configurations I'll write up a license agreement to have you proof, list you as a contributor and get a fresh KerbPaint out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.