[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

Guys, I'm almost ready to release Real Ships 0.1. Would you mind if I distribute KerbPaint with it so users don't have to search for files in this topic, until a stable and complete 1.1 version is posted?

On 4/12/2016 at 7:13 AM, Azimech said:

Guys, I'm almost ready to release Real Ships 0.1. Would you mind if I distribute KerbPaint with it so users don't have to search for files in this topic, until a stable and complete 1.1 version is posted?

Go ahead.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:24 AM, Texel said:

@linuxgurugamer

Given I've now made a tool which can update the shaders, it seems best to include a package with the source that lets people update the shaders as KSP updates. Especially since they are not using Unity5's special material setups yet, I suspect 1.1.x or 1.2 will require another shader update.

I've put my recompile of KerbPaint on Github here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/kerbpaint

There is a prerelease containing the recompiled dll only

1 hour ago, Whovian41110 said:

Thank you all for your wonderful help with my question

Thank you very much

Ah these things happen on fora. Sometimes people just forget to reply. It's something to get used to, happened to me a lot as well.

Anyway ... you're talking about a texture like it's done with B9's Procedural Wings? I don't think so. Creating custom masks for every wing so you can paint half of it ... yes but it's a lot of work.

What I did was just double the wings, giving the bottom wing a different colour than the upper wing.

59 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Ah these things happen on fora. Sometimes people just forget to reply. It's something to get used to, happened to me a lot as well.

Anyway ... you're talking about a texture like it's done with B9's Procedural Wings? I don't think so. Creating custom masks for every wing so you can paint half of it ... yes but it's a lot of work.

What I did was just double the wings, giving the bottom wing a different colour than the upper wing.

Damn.  I'll just deal with the unrealistic re-entry.

14 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

Damn.  I'll just deal with the unrealistic re-entry.

I did see your question and then saw the request to delete it, so I thought you had found your answer and did not need help anymore.

Unfortunately @Chris P. Bacon re-used textures in such a way (a memory efficient way) so that you cannot paint just one side of the spaceplane parts, mk2 or mk3. Like @Azimech said above the best you can do is use two wings in place of one, offset them slightly and paint them different colors. I also use wings on the bottom of my shuttle (mainly because the mk3 cargo bays are 64% of the width of the IRL cargo bays, but the wings are quite small compared to real shuttle wings) so I can paint them black.

9 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I did see your question and then saw the request to delete it, so I thought you had found your answer and did not need help anymore.

Unfortunately @Chris P. Bacon re-used textures in such a way (a memory efficient way) so that you cannot paint just one side of the spaceplane parts, mk2 or mk3. Like @Azimech said above the best you can do is use two wings in place of one, offset them slightly and paint them different colors. I also use wings on the bottom of my shuttle (mainly because the mk3 cargo bays are 64% of the width of the IRL cargo bays, but the wings are quite small compared to real shuttle wings) so I can paint them black.

I was talking about the double post but darn.  

On 4/5/2016 at 7:33 AM, Texel said:

So, licensing wise, I actually had a folder of shader sources I'd indented to distribute with the mod, but because the Part Tools shader sources are 'presumably' property of squad I shouldn't be redistributing modified copies of, I only included the precompiled shaders in the old mod. Whelp, looking at the sources now seeing how bad it would be to update them, turns out to save space (as compiled shaders can be huge) I had "#pragma only_renderers opengl d3d9"

Whoops. 

So essentially, the precompiled shaders appear fine, they are missing some of the new stuff that had been added since (Temperature Color, and Burn Color, for the reentry emissive effects).

I'm at a weird crossroads on how to update the mod though, since I can't distribute sources of Squad's shaders to others to be maintainable and I don't want to leave the community hanging dry for years again. Spending a bit of time seeing how bad it would be to make an add-on for PartTools that patches the shaders.

Why don't you contact Squad and see if they have any ideas/suggestions for this?

I am a bit confused, But how do you get this set up to work with 1.1? I am not asking for an update, Just currious how people have gotten it to work since it does seem to be working, I just am confused by how to do it myself, as I found the 1.0.5 release for Kerbpaint, but I am not understanding about how to do the update of that to 1.1 from what I have found in the thread so far.

2 hours ago, Ryusho said:

I am a bit confused, But how do you get this set up to work with 1.1? I am not asking for an update, Just currious how people have gotten it to work since it does seem to be working, I just am confused by how to do it myself, as I found the 1.0.5 release for Kerbpaint, but I am not understanding about how to do the update of that to 1.1 from what I have found in the thread so far.

OK so in 1.1 you have to be using Windows to start with, It does not work with OpenGL so Linux and Macs are out.

Download one of the packs referenced on the front page and install it as per usual

Then get the recompiled dll from this post mentioned above

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/kerbpaint/releases

and replace the one in your KerbPaint directory

you need to make sure you have ModuleManager

and it should now work.

52 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

OK so in 1.1 you have to be using Windows to start with, It does not work with OpenGL so Linux and Macs are out.

Download one of the packs referenced on the front page and install it as per usual

Then get the recompiled dll from this post mentioned above

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/kerbpaint/releases

and replace the one in your KerbPaint directory

you need to make sure you have ModuleManager

and it should now work.

Thank you, Thats what was confusing me, as for some reason when I tried to get it, I could never actually find the download link for the re-compiled dll file., though I'm still sometimes confused by Github X_X

maybe this is answered elsewhere but hitting P while mousing over the parts only shows the 'available parts' hilight and there's no stock apps button. does it need the Blizzy bar? I can't figure out how to open the GUI window

edit: LinuxGuruGamer DLL works fine

Edited by Hyratel

OK either I'm an idiot or this isn't working for me. Followed what was mentioned on the last few pages (I think), got the recompiled .dll from the 14th, but I can't figure out how to paint anything. If I hit P the paintable (I'm assuming) parts turn blue, but then I can't do anything. No interface that I can see, new menus, etc. Does it need the old Toolbar mod or something?

7 hours ago, Hyratel said:

maybe this is answered elsewhere but hitting P while mousing over the parts only shows the 'available parts' hilight and there's no stock apps button. does it need the Blizzy bar? I can't figure out how to open the GUI window

edit: LinuxGuruGamer DLL works fine

It has no button, just the P while highlighting parts

6 hours ago, Venusgate said:

I ctrl+F'd  "procedural" for the last few pages and couldnt find it.

Is this/can this be used on procedural parts ( http://tinyurl.com/grs9ra8 ) textures? Would it be hard?

You would need to make your own masks and configs for the parts you want to paint

9 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

OK either I'm an idiot or this isn't working for me. Followed what was mentioned on the last few pages (I think), got the recompiled .dll from the 14th, but I can't figure out how to paint anything. If I hit P the paintable (I'm assuming) parts turn blue, but then I can't do anything. No interface that I can see, new menus, etc. Does it need the old Toolbar mod or something?

You may have the dll in the wrong place, you must replace the old dll of the same name.

1 hour ago, Chris P. Bacon said:

Same problem here, GUI isn't opening on mouse-over, only the blue part highlighting is working.

Sorry but you probably have more chance of fixing it than nearly anyone else, the shaders changed so much only a subset of people can get it to work. @Texel has disappeared again and @linuxgurugamer is not that knowledgeable about shaders. The mods source is released and @Texel said something about having a tool that can export the shaders from PatTools but thats where it is right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.