[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

@linuxgurugamer Sent another PR  - added OSX/linux shaders ( I think , I can't test that)

Build is here  for those who want more testing - I updated the MM Configs to reflect part name changes.

The rest of the issues I see are due to the parts being updated and the paint masks for the parts are probably 1.0 versions (they are the files in PluginData name <part>_paint, which are jpg/png files)

I have no clue how to part model or any artistic ability , someone will need to update these masks to fix any remaining gaps 

Edited by gomker

Problem: painted parts have no shadow. The ones that aren't painted do have a shadow and they're visible through the painted parts. Here you can see the chairs through the door, if you look closely.

j5t5erI.png

And you can bring up the interface during the simulation.

DJBEbGe.png

14 hours ago, Azimech said:

The ones that aren't painted do have a shadow and they're visible through the painted parts

I have no idea how to fix that :P

14 hours ago, Azimech said:

And you can bring up the interface during the simulation.

This bug seems to be a known issue from the change log - I do have an idea how to fix.

EDIT: removing the extra shaders for the different OS does not fix the shadow problem, and the blue highlight comes up when pressing P in flight.

Maybe I will have to uninstall and then reinstall certain things. Plus, weird black things appear on landing gear (specifically in front of their lights) after reverting to SPH.

I will look into this a bit more. Let us hope that kind of bug is fixable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2017 at 5:52 PM, gomker said:

@linuxgurugamer I think I got it working a bit , sending a PR 

Test release here - https://github.com/gomker/kerbpaint/releases/tag/1.2

//Note : Windows only for now, I need to upload mac/linux bundles

SLApp7L.png

So so so happy for this, thankyou!!

I'm not getting the paint menu with the 'p' key however.. Am I doing something wrong? Extracted the above linked archive to gamedata, is there anything else required?

Edit: Nevermind. I am a moron. Was running my clean unmodified install. Smh.

Edited by Capt. Kerb

Leg Ends! Yes, LEG ENDS!

*cough*

That's legends... *ahem*

I honestly thought I'd never see the day. Well done! Though, I think I may have some bad news. Emissive Bump Spec...

Spoiler

1FE751F164E5C76DCD83429505D364BDD8C2E790

...unless things have changed this shader was required for cockpits or else the window lighting would not work. I confess, I've not tried changing things around (see below) just downloaded the latest .dll and threw in my old configs to confirm it was real. When I'm able I'll do some digging and testing and try some things out, if noone does first.

Uch, I'm knee deep in tax return land and all I want to do is paint...ach, I'll quickly try changing the shader applied and see what happens.

Edit: Yeah. Changed the MK3 cockpit shader to BumpSpec and the paint side works fine, however, the lights are on but nobody is home. By that I mean they don't show when you toggle them on.

Edited by Manwith Noname
Testing

• 2 weeks later...

How do i use the mod?

The Paint icon simply doesnt appear and P key makes no action.

Having KSP 1.2.2.1622 x64 and kerbpaint.1.0.1.0_01112017.zip

Log file says the mod is loaded.

[LOG 15:27:25.248] [KerbPaint] Shader "KerbPaint/Specular" loaded. Shader supported? True

18 hours ago, _Astra_ said:

How do i use the mod?

The Paint icon simply doesnt appear and P key makes no action.

The first two things that spring to mind.

1) You need to have your mouse pointer over the part you wish to paint when you press P.

2) Even with (1), if the part isn't configured for KerbPaint the menu will not show.

If you only downloaded the latest dll by gomker, you will not have any paint masks. Probably the best thing to do is download the version from this post...

...and replace the dll with gomker's latest....and place the paint masks from it in the right location of gomker's pack. You might also want the configs and delete the KerbPaint.cfg if you do, I didn't get round to checking that much and personally did that because I wanted to test my MK3 and MK2 paints. You'll also need module manager.

I don't think I missed anything but it's very late and I've had my fair share of tipple.

Edited by Manwith Noname
Brainfart

Manwith, thank you, but at the moment of  message I had installed a release archive, not a plain DLL.

Module Manager version is 2.7.5 means the latest one.

I don't understand what exactly are masks. Why they aren't included into release yet ?

@_Astra_ The latest archive you listed does not include the paint masks which determine where the shader applies colour. The folder layout isn't so simple so having taken the time to look further, the easiest thing to do is download gomker's earlier release which does.

https://github.com/gomker/kerbpaint/releases

You already have the latest archive, so grab the prior release. Delete the Kerbpaint folder in your KSP/GameData. Place the earlier archive in the gamedata folder first, then merge in the latest release and replace files when asked.

Now, the only issue here is, not all the paint masks are "current". By that I mean, many parts are outdated (model changes) or not covered and anything that myself and selfishmeme have covered over the years to extend KerbPaint's "library" are also not included.

I kind of get the itch from time to time to fully flesh out the masks but it's a fair bit of work and because this mod got so broken with the Unity change it seemed rather pointless at the time. If this mod can be resurrected with all of it's shaders functioning correctly and not destroy shadows, I will work on getting all stock parts covered. I'll probably even start checking what needs to be done tonight.

If by violet you mean what I would define as a very bright pink, then either that part is using a shader that isn't working correctly (see the spoiler section in my post about emissive bump spec just above your initial question) or you are running in DX11 or OpenGL (I haven't actually tested OpenGL but I imagine it might produce the same result).

To go into more detail about how to paint...

1) Mouse over the part you want to paint and press P. If the part is configured with the kerbpaint module the paint window will appear.

2) Select one of the three layers and then a colour. Click on the advanced button to open more options.

3) Close the Kerbpaint window, mouse over another part and press P.

Step 3 isn't required but it will help identify whether the part you wish to paint is configured to be painted. If you don't close the window, you will not get any noticeable indication (edit: Actually, this has made me realise something, I seem to recall Kerbpaint at one time gave the part a blue aura). Some parts also only have very basic support as specific paint masks have not been made for them, so they use a default "slap paint everywhere" mask and in other case where Squad have changed the models and textures, the mapping of the shader may seem strange.

Edited by Manwith Noname

Finally you're right. But only a very limited subset of parts can be used. No mod parts, no parts changed since 1.1 (gears cannot be colored)

It doesnt show the mod icon. And has a big problem with antialiasing, a white glow around the colored part's edges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2017-5-19 at 7:24 PM, Voyager1Fan5213 said:

does this work with m-1x1 structural plates?

It can work and indeed, it used to work. Things have kind of got a little confusing with the recent repacking of the mod. I've just checked the old post where it was available and sadly the link is dead. All is not lost though, I am feeling kreative so I'm slowly bumbling through various parts and working on getting things functional. If you don't want to wait you can make your own config and paint scheme, it's not too hard just takes a bit of tinkering with notepad and a paint program.

On 2017-5-20 at 3:54 PM, xZephy said:

Why does the mod even paint the glass of the cockpit ? Why the mod don't work like in 1.0.5 ? :'(

Following on from above, things have got a little messy over time so the latest download with a functional dll doesn't include configs and / or paint for some parts. In some instances this will cause parts to have a very simple "cover everything in colour" scheme.

@gomker

I've been doing a bit of snooping and I noticed in the source something that might be causing the EmissiveBumpSpec shader to fail. I'm not a coder but I spotted a possible typo...

https://github.com/gomker/kerbpaint/blob/master/ShaderLoader.cs

Line 114, there's a space where perhaps there shouldn't be. Reading through this it does make me wonder though, isn't EmissiveBumpSpec then just the same as "Alpha"?

Edit: In fact, looking further, why isn't this calling "KerbPaint/Emissive/Bumped Specular"?

Edited by Manwith Noname

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.