[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

I'm sorry i think didnt explain correctly :P

English not being native language does that sometimes.

It's not the KerbPaint patterns that aren't cycling, it's the textures from stretchy tanks itself, the 'shaded' stripes (really don't know what to call em)

When cycling through them with 'T' the striped pattern "hangs" and displays on all following stretchy patterns, such as the kosmos texture,

This only happens with KerbPaint installed.

It's like some striped overlay gets put on all other textures, seems like maybe it's only with the ferram textures, don't think blackheart's has any striped things in it.

The Blackheart textures are Png, Ferram's are targa, don't think that matters but hey ^^

Edited by Masakakihara

Ah, if stretchy tanks now has multiple sets of textures that can be used, then that would not be compatible as the maps are made from individual textures and currently Kerbpaint cannot alternate through different shader maps for the same part. You can disable Kerbpaint for stretchy tanks and that would remove the problem, but you can no longer paint them. Just go into kerbpaint.cfg and delete the entries dealing with stretchy tanks.

This mod is awesome! It lets me paint up my spaceplanes like it's Macross. Totally rad.

However, I'd like to report a strange bug. Depending on the lighting and angle viewed, the Small Control Surface (and only the Small Control Surface, from what I can see) can lose its colour. Here's two screenshots from the same spaceplane:

Wi9DdhT.jpg

YfvREUo.jpg

As you can see, in the first picture, the rear control surfaces are black. In the second, they are white.

S.O.P.H.I.A. : Hmm, this is probably a shader setting problem in the .cfg. I will take a look at it and see if I can fix it. Most likely I will need to set DeepReplace to true. Hopefully i can fix this and put that fix in the next update.

Please post any other parts doing this, or any other bugs that pop up.Sadly some of the bugs may be plugin related which at this time I do not have the knowledge or time to fix.

By default, the smallCtrlSrf does have DeepReplace=true. The only thing sketchy I can see (and I really don't know anything) is that it uses the same texture (Ailerons_Paint) that the much larger StandardCtrlSrf uses. maybe there's some kind of resolution mismatch? Do the _paints have to have the same size/dimension as the original texture?

Looks like you might be on to something. Just checked the files and small has a different model and texture than standard. I'll make up a new map for small and test it out. If I can get it working it will be in the next pack. ^_^

I did the shader map and config and it looks like I fixed it. I simulated it from every angle I could think of, night and day and the color never vanished. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Also, my map is very different from the standardcontrolsurface because I didn't want to just copy Texel.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

Hey people, i've got one question about this mod, if i repaint one part which use light feature, do it break this one ?

i've just finished to repaint some part of B9aerospace mod :

YWyA7Ul.jpg?1

as you can see, i can't illuminate the cockpit since i've used this .png file.

Any solution ?

may I make a suggestion? an option for a sort of paint scratching?, like sort of a wear and tear effect, preferably a layer on the paint?

EXAMPLE (not exactly like this, doesnt have to be around the edges, but you see what I mean)

iron-man-helmet-battle-damage-paint-job-photo-3-.jpg-32305d1282333534

I could technically do this, but it would mean remapping all of the parts, and carefully putting in areas that wouldn't get shaded meaning the wear areas would just be the base part color. Also, parts can only have one map at a time so this would replace the current maps so if you wanted one part worn but not another, you would have to hunt through the pack and replace the specific _Paint that you wanted to look worn.

Its not likely that I will do this as it takes far longer to make detailed maps like that than the kinds of maps I currently make. Also, its highly likely that the maps will come out looking terrible which would suck.

However, I may be willing to do one or two parts as an optional download. If you could request a few parts you would like to see messed up a little then I will attempt this and if they look good, I will make an alternate release for them. Please remember I'm doing this for fun, and to be honest making one of these maps sound like it could be a very enjoyable challenge. What I worry about is i might not be up to the challenge. So, pick some good parts and I will do my best.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

This has to do with how Kerbpaint applies textures. When I can I will take a look at this and see if it is possible to keep the emission map and paint map.

It's cool mate, it's done, for part like this, you have to set emissivebumpspec for shader, and put Specific setting, however, it depend of part, it may be 001, or 002 etc, and you'll get back all lights.

Then, like chaoko says, it will be a good idea if we have another layer for "scratch" effect. but yep, it need to work on all part. I'm working on several part actually, with mods of course.

B9 aerospace, Novapunch, KWrocketry and firespitter parts are almost done.

If the autor agreed with this, i can share all the paint map with you, and the kerbpaint.cfg file which come with. It's not perfect but it give you the option to recolore all your part.

Yes, that one, near the top of the file you should see the assembly loader output noting all the mods that are loaded - This will tell me right away if it was properly loaded. Then I can look later down in the file to see both if the module manager overrides are occurring, and then if it is loading the paint masks with parts.

@Texel

I can't get KerbPaint to work properly and I think I'm having a similar issue. The game loads but the plugin doesn't seem to work. On the statup loading screen I get a message that says something is using an older (pre 1.5) version of Module Manger and I should remove or replace it. I don't know if this matters but I'm using KSP Mod Admin to manage all my mods and had to pull the KSP.log file from it's directory.

Shall I send you a copy to look over?

EDIT: SOLVED

Turns out the Module Manager message was a red herring. Leaving that out part of the install did not change the behavior. It wasn't until I read that the paint mask files do not have an extension that I thought to check if they were there. So it turns out KSP Mod Admin was not copying those files, I assume because of the lack of an extension. So I manually moved them into the right directory and now everything is working like a champ! Might be worth a mention in the install

instructions.

Thanks for the mod!

Edited by Godit
SOLVED

Inside the KerbPaint folder there should be a Module Manager dll, if you delete that it may work with Admin. If not, you will have to install the latest Module Manager which I do not know if it is compatible with Admin.

Nice to know you solved the problem. If anyone else has this happen i will point them to your post. ^_^

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

Hammer Tech: Sorry, I don't know of a way to change that.

So, another update. I've been having a lot of problems with the docking ports, and they are now partly usable. I seem to be missing textures for them and once I find them i will update them. Probecorecube is also up but it has issues when all three are different colors. Finally, the big leg works perfectly, but the small which uses the same damn map is messed up looking if you use more than one color. Also, Mk1 Lander can is up but currently only has one color due to once again missing textures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Stock Addon V.3

-Mk1 Lander Can

-Small Control Surface

-Small docking port

-Medium docking port

-Cube Probe core

-Rover body

-Landing Leg

-Large landing leg

-Edited Kerbpaint.cfg to remove old small control surface config which was bugged

OLD

Stock Addon V.2

-Struts

-I-Beams

-girders

-Mk.2 to mk1. adapter

-Changed the layout of the .cfg file so please delete parachutesingle.cfg and structuralpanel1and2.cfg if you installed Stock Addon V.1, also allow this to overwrite anything it asks as the original mod had a mk.2 to mk.1 adapter shader map that didn't work.

Stock Addon V.1

-parachuteSingle

-StructuralPanels

These shader maps are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License by Tenneko Kazeno. All this means is give me credit and you can alter them and use them in other mods. I would like to be informed though. Also keep in mind i have no say over the mod itself, only these addons.

Sorry for the double post, but:

Hi guys, I am just wondering if someone could make a simple modification to the mod, could someone please change the advanced settings mixer from HSV to HSL, and add numbers to them, as I spent about 40min finding the perfect colors on fireworks to paint my rocket, wrote the values down for each, and after all that, no numbers. I can't guess either, as kerbpaint is in HSV not HSL, so, completely stuffs up my colors. As you may imagine, this annoyed me a fair bit, and I didn't see any other way, as I'm nowhere near capable enough to enter this stuff myself. A custom color saver would also be handy, if anyone can be bothered.

Thanks!

Sorry for the double post, but:

Hi guys, I am just wondering if someone could make a simple modification to the mod, could someone please change the advanced settings mixer from HSV to HSL, and add numbers to them, as I spent about 40min finding the perfect colors on fireworks to paint my rocket, wrote the values down for each, and after all that, no numbers. I can't guess either, as kerbpaint is in HSV not HSL, so, completely stuffs up my colors. As you may imagine, this annoyed me a fair bit, and I didn't see any other way, as I'm nowhere near capable enough to enter this stuff myself. A custom color saver would also be handy, if anyone can be bothered.

Thanks!

Kerbpaint adjusts colors in HSV, but doesn't actually set any colors in HSV. To set a color in an HSV-space be simply apply a flat tone to the entire object. Instead KerbPaint sets the hue, multiplies the value, and adds or subtracts from the saturation by the set amounts. This means, given two textures with the exact same KerbPaint setting, the only way they would end up looking identical is if they are equally saturated.

Basically, Kerppaint is closer to a photoshop filter than defining a target HSV, it does a recolor process but does not readily produce exact results. I did include a copy and paste selected values option, it wouldn't be to hard to make a subassembly that contains your favorite settings to quickly apply to other craft.

Kerbpaint adjusts colors in HSV, but doesn't actually set any colors in HSV. To set a color in an HSV-space be simply apply a flat tone to the entire object. Instead KerbPaint sets the hue, multiplies the value, and adds or subtracts from the saturation by the set amounts. This means, given two textures with the exact same KerbPaint setting, the only way they would end up looking identical is if they are equally saturated.

Basically, Kerppaint is closer to a photoshop filter than defining a target HSV, it does a recolor process but does not readily produce exact results. I did include a copy and paste selected values option, it wouldn't be to hard to make a subassembly that contains your favorite settings to quickly apply to other craft.

YAY! Texel's back! Maybe!

My problem is that it would be across multiple saves, and the copy/paste feature doesn't copy all three colors across, and there's still the problem of numbers, as I need to enter them in for my favourite colours. I think a custom colour saver would be a great addition. Sorry if I sound rude, and I don't intend it, I just really want to be able to have these colours in-game, if someone could maybe tell me if, withought editing the dll, I can adjust the default colours so I have my green instead of the default green, my blue instead of the default blue, etc.

Edited by Espresso
Spelling and grammars.

Mythbuster844: Honestly, this is a bug that can happen in unmodded KSP, this mod only makes it more likely. If you install either the Coolrockets or Hotrockets mod this bug will never happen again as they replace the effects and they look far better than the originals.

Edited by Tenneko Kazeno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.