[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

This is amazing, Though since I've deleted all the vanilla fuel tanks in favor of stretchy tanks I don't have much to paint ATM. So I'm going to wait until support for stretchy tanks and procedural fairings are in.

Awesome work. Can you also put on logos with this? Or flags?

Edit : Ok i lied I'm going to use it now because it's just that awesome. Still hoping for some more support for mods though =D KW and NP, Procedural mods would be my recommendations. B9 would be good as well but I've stopped using it (To many parts as is) I'm sure others would appreciate it though.

Edited by Subcidal

Pushed another update:

StretchyTanks:

XiURRcW.png

September 16th

Broke Aero surfaces to fix a bug with SRB particles

Managed to fix Aero and solve bug, but broke DYJ PWings

After hammering it for a while, not having any luck fixing Pwings, disabled for release

Integrated Stretchy Tanks

Didn't end up deriving the paintmask, did it blindly, so no license issue with distributing the integration (It would have been CC-Atr-Sharealike anyways, so not a big deal)

Had to write a special handler for Stretchy tank texture swaps, added StretchyFix field to ModulePaintable

Still working out how to best override materials, fairings working but not displaying properly

I swear I'll get PWings working for a release not not break it before build eventually

Loving the screenshots!

In terms of other mod integration, some mods (Spherical Tanks and Procedural Fairings, I'm looking at you) have very flat textures by default, or textures that not particularly paintable- I had some trouble with Procedural Tanks's alternate texture, since the texture repeats are rather condensed and had to use only a single horizontal stripe to avoid it looking too out of place, if anyone comes up with a better paint texture that fits it better I'd happily swap.

Currently focused on getting support for stock finished and happy, at which point I'll slow down the rapid updates to the core and transition to releasing separate mod-support downloads. After fairings I need to add the last two Aero parts (Engine cooler and inline intake), at which point I'll start tackling structure parts. Radial chutes are already in, I'm hoping I can have the deployed chutes match the assigned colors without too much trouble, looks actually fairly likely.

This is amazing and I hope this feature gets added to stock. It's a great way to personalize rockets.

Your not the only one who wants it to :P No, seriously, if they add this to stock, KSP would be about 1000000x better, its little details that make the game so much better :)

You can make an exception for this, it is totally worth it :)

Nah, I'll wait until its added into Vanilla KSP, though you are tempting me :blush:

Pushed another update (Last one today, I swear!) adding 21+ more parts and nearly completing stock support, adding more command modules, the last of Aero, solar panels, and some structure.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Should only be small decouplers, fuselages, spaceplane command, and structural adaptors missing. If there is anything else missing, please don't hesitate to point it out, since at this point stock is all-but entirely supported.

So...painting jet engines...not a good idea:

ZJsq5Mh.jpg

Not sure what is going on here, but Im sure the E.P.A. is not gonna be happy about it...

Awesome mod! This is looong over due.

Mod support suggestions:

NovaPunch

FireSpitter

Kethane (but keep the green =P)

HOME Gen2

B9

I will definitely grab the updated version next time I play. It looks like most of the important stock parts are covered now. Quick work!

Painted solar panels are a bit strange though...

Hopefully, I've been enjoying being able to paint my rockets more and more as I get closer and closer to full.

As for the solar panels, I was doing some reading and as it turns out there isn't much particular reason for Solar-Panels to be blue, efficiency variation is negligible, so I figured it would add a nice bit of flare, it really helps sell the Kethane refinery when your solar array is Kethane-Green.

So...painting jet engines...not a good idea:

Not sure what is going on here, but Im sure the E.P.A. is not gonna be happy about it...

Awesome mod! This is looong over due.

Mod support suggestions:

NovaPunch

FireSpitter

Kethane (but keep the green =P)

HOME Gen2

B9

Shoot I thought I'd dealt with that, at the moment I'm having an issue where painted parts will override the materials on unpainted children, I'll have a look at this for the next time I put out an update, but does reloading a quicksave solve the issue?

So do we have to have ModuleManager for this?

ModuleManager is included in the package, it all works out of box.

Edited by Texel

Wow awesome mod. I am surprised however that you haven't done probably the most commonly used part in all of Kerban and beyond; The MechJeb unit... That part probably is on more ships right at this moment than any other part, excusing struts right here and CubicOxagonals of course.

this is something that i think everyone agrees should be added to the game.. perhaps in the future or something, when squad is like doing the final adjustments to models, they can have like a rough "unpainted" base texture (low resolution, possibly just grey or orange/ect, with a normal resolution normal map. It would reduce the problems of having textures not matching due to texture scaling issues.

The system for automatically painting struts is a nice touch.

And yet completely unintentional. Looks like what's going on is objects I have flagged as "DeepReplace" in the config are all leaking paintmasks to unpainted child parts. Not entirely sure the best way to go about cleaning that up, but that's definitely the issue at the moment. You can do a replace all in the cfg for DeepReplace = false to clear it up for the time being if it breaks anything (Like the painted exhaust particles)

I would recommend support for the Re-Stock mod. I'm sure it'd be pretty simple with all those default textures.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47942-0-21-ReStock-Parts-Pack-%28v08-28%29/page2

Also picture!

YWK6s9l.png

The Big Orange Tank never looked better.

Edit: Also TV-PP support would be nice.

Edited by mushroomman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.