[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

Hey guys, there's a problem, when I load a ship I painted, half of the paint doesn't show up on the ship, but when I press p on the colored side it shows up again. Then when I launch it, or reload the ship after pressing the load and ship key, the paint disappears again, WTH, what's going on here? I'm tired of painting and repainting the ship. Is there a problem with the mod or an interference with another mod? I'm trying to build a Gundam here, but KerbPaint is failing on me, and I REALLY want the gundam to have color.

It's a known and long-standing bug related to KSP's dodgy symmetry function, similar to how action groups tend to disappear on parts placed with symmetry if they're moved.

Just hover your mouse over each part of the ship and hit P; if the bug is taking effect, the colour will disappear when you do that. But if you then recolour it again, it should stay coloured unless you start moving parts around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems to sort of work in 0.90, but you need to hunt around for "bonus" stencil packs for the space plane plus parts. There are also some parts that must not have been in SPP, such as the shortened rocket fuel tank, because paint does not get applied to it.

I also noticed that some parts have areas that don't seem to get painted. For example, the black-and-white cone that has been a stock part a very long time cannot have the black bits painted over. The edges of wing pieces also have a black that can't seem to be changed. This is the most bothersome thing to me, since I was giving the mod a go for the first time *specifically* to reduce the visible intra-wing edging created by the black edges when wings are snapped together.

I also don't quite get the colour controls. When testing I selected the black box "preset" but the parts certainly did not go black. Sort of greyish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
...The edges of wing pieces also have a black that can't seem to be changed. This is the most bothersome thing to me, since I was giving the mod a go for the first time *specifically* to reduce the visible intra-wing edging created by the black edges when wings are snapped together.

As the creator of the masks that cover the new SPP wing styles, I will tell you it was a design choice on my part. Due to the nature of how the shader is applied and the manner in which the models are rendered, when I made the mask cover the black edges, the result was a muted colour change. It did not magically recolour the black. As a result, I found the most aesthetically pleasing option was to create a mask that left these areas as they were. This is likely the same choice with the nose cone, though I am not responsible for that mask.

Edit:

I also don't quite get the colour controls. When testing I selected the black box "preset" but the parts certainly did not go black. Sort of greyish.

You likely missed the advanced options where you can alter the transparency of the shader.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 1 month later...

I managed to get the DLL to recompile, though I had to disable one of the functions (the one that shades the parts blue when then can be painted/are current being painted) but otherwise it looks good. I'll give it a test run tomorrow if I get a chance.

Either way, however, I won't be trying to take over or rewrite this thing. If it works, I'll post instructions on how I did it if anyone wants to reproduce it themselves. I'm not going to tackle licensing restrictions or anything like that.

Edited by Gaalidas

• 5 weeks later...

For people who want the symmetry bug fixed, I think I found the fix. I'm not quite sure, but I've had kerbpaint and I have had the bug for a long time, but after installing the Stock bug fixes addon thingy, which includes a symmetry fix for various things, like actiongroups, I don't have the bug anymore. I'm pretty sure I just found the jackpot :D Try for yourselves

Eeep... I totally forgot about this mod. I managed to get it to recompile and everything worked... except for the actual painting thing. By that, I mean everything went smoothly until it came time to apply the new color, and nothing happened. I sorta gave up on it after that. It was kinda sketchy anyway considering the blue highlight wasn't functioning anymore. I'm hoping someone will come along eventually and totally remake this thing, or come up with an alternative.

There's really nothing more to push on. I'm not a programmer of any real competence, and that's just with non-KSP stuff. KSP brings it to a whole new level. The only mod I ever tried to make a reality is still not ready to even be showcased, and it was derived from another person's work as it is and the other half of the code was written by someone else to help me fix my broken code.

I've approached several other mod developers who have managed to more or less recreate this functionality to some extent (muscle car parts, B9 procedural parts) but in each case there was simply no interest in expanding into this mod's area of functionality. I'm not giving up hope for a revival, but the chances are very slim.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone using Kerbpaint in 1.0 have KSP load slower for them than 0.90? or is that an issue independent of Kerbpaint?

Edit: KERBPAINT CAUSES SLOWER LOADING, CAN CONFIRM

Edited by KotDemopan

Installing the mod with the latest version of ModuleManager seems to get it to work to some degree in 1.0, I just need paint masks for all the new parts. Not sure about the bugs though, I'm not very good at shader coding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.