Why Kerbals don't eat

M.Wolfy

Photosynthesis is the generally accepted theory.

How is it the "generally accepted theory" when the devs have repeatedly said it's not true.

Besides Kerbals are FAR FAR too active to be autotrophs (make their own food, by photosynthesis, chemosynthesis, radiosynthesis, etc), creatures that move have to eat lots of autotrophs to fuel the movement, creatures that think have to eat even more, or eat creatures that eat creatures that eat autotrophs.

Edited by Moon Goddess

Well, they said they weren't plant-based organisms. But that doesn't exclude a partial photosynthesis theory. I would like to add that food maybe supplemental to the photosynthesis, and is probably the primary production of ATP, but perhaps photosynthesis is a life-support "backup", or a leftover of kerbal evolution.

Edited by sharpspoonful

Besides Kerbals are FAR FAR too active to be autotrophs.

True, It's unlikely they could live on photosynthesis alone. They would need so much more energy than can be provided by photosynthesis alone (which, and this is just my guess, equals about two apples per day, if they'd sunbathe naked all day).

Even so, there is a sea-slug which steals the chloroplasts from the algae it eats, and apparently with those it can survive on light and CO2 (and water) for about 9 months (after which they die of old age).

Edit: I can imagine Jeb, Bill and Bob having their last meal on Kerbin before blasting off, consisting of lot's of algae. "Let's eat untill we're green!"

Edit 2: Maybe they just eat when they are working, and on the 1-year trip to Duna (I'm no good at transfer windows) they enter a sort of vegetative state.

Edited by Speijker

True, It's unlikely they could live on photosynthesis alone. They would need so much more energy than can be provided by photosynthesis alone (which, and this is just my guess, equals about two apples per day, if they'd sunbathe naked all day).

Even so, there is a sea-slug which steals the chloroplasts from the algae it eats, and apparently with those it can survive on light and CO2 (and water) for about 9 months (after which they die of old age).

Edit: I can imagine Jeb, Bill and Bob having their last meal on Kerbin before blasting off, consisting of lot's of algae. "Let's eat untill we're green!"

Edit 2: Maybe they just eat when they are working, and on the 1-year trip to Duna (I'm no good at transfer windows) they enter a sort of vegetative state.

Don't you also have those protozoans which I can't remember the name of which are plant and animal?

Don't you also have those protozoans which I can't remember the name of which are plant and animal?

For the sake of straying from the topic of green Kerbals: there are a few protozoans which have endosymbiotic bacteria, or even complete algae within their cell (they're still just an animal, not plants as well).

Also think of coral reefs: sponges and corals also have symbiotic algae (not sure about bacteria), although these do not have them within their actual cells.

In general: if you can think of it, nature's already gone ahead and done it (and probably done it better than you ever could).

Wait, what?! These critters can THINK?! Whoa!

I like to think that their thought processes are more of the "Must expand...for the species...Must expand" Due to their deaths in spore clouds and the voatality of their rockets.

Wait, what?! These critters can THINK?! Whoa!

Anything that can build rockets, understand orbital vectors and hoffman transfers has to be very very intelligent. Thus big brain, thus high metabolic requirements, thus needing a high protein high fat diet, so either omnivore or eating a specialized vegetarian diet with lots of legumes and the like.

I've always just assumed that the little white canisters in the pods are full of mayonnaise and they just eat that.

It's good for you.

It also may contain some sort of Brain degenerative. have you SEEN how crazy they are up there?

Anything that can build rockets, understand orbital vectors and hoffman transfers has to be very very intelligent. Thus big brain, thus high metabolic requirements, thus needing a high protein high fat diet, so either omnivore or eating a specialized vegetarian diet with lots of legumes and the like.

But I thought I did all that for them...

My theory is that Kerbals are a hive mind, each relatively unintelligent on their own, but through some unknown force (telepathy? quantum entanglement?) their psyches join to create... the player.

Perhaps the crew can't think. Obviously the guys building the rockets can and perhaps mission control too. Maybe the crew are like puppets, simply receiving thoughts and actions from mission control?

Sorry if mentioned already but I believe the Kerbals are Herbivores based on their teeth. They seem to only have flat teeth (molars) and no pointy/sharper incisors or canines. I picture them chewing their snacks like a horse.

Edited by Nostromo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.