Speedbrakes and flaps for planes

Hi everybody!

I play KSP for quite a while and its just awesome!

I also like to build planes to explore Kerbin. I thought it would be usefull to have flaps and speedbrakes for my planes. Is this somehow possible?

And is it even effective with the KSP physic?

Would be great if there would be stock variants to do this :)

Regards

Floule

Hi everybody!

I play KSP for quite a while and its just awesome!

I also like to build planes to explore Kerbin. I thought it would be usefull to have flaps and speedbrakes for my planes. Is this somehow possible?

And is it even effective with the KSP physic?

Would be great if there would be stock variants to do this :)

Regards

Floule

I think that the stock variants are chutes :)

Using chutes as brakes doesn't really work... Unfortunately, the atmosphere in KSP (or at least the drag) isn't that good yet. Chutes, rather than slowing your plane down, will stop your plane almost dead in its tracks. As far as stock goes, there's not much of a way to do it. I suppose, if you're feeling particularly Jeb-ish, you could try Xetalim's SRB suggestion... I'd be interested to see how it turns out :)

using a drogue shoot can slow it down pretty well, alternatively you can use a few RCS ports and fire them in reverse to slow you down (its slow but it can help...not really recommended on kerbin though). You could have some radial engines mounted and tied to an action group (turn off main engines, activate radial engines) and fire them on low power so slow you down as well. There arnt many options without mods for actual air brakes though.

Well, thank you all very much!

I think I will download the B9.

I use chutes at my planes mainly for saving my Kerbals in case everything goes wrong (Actually happens really often :D). It gets really uncontrollable with open chutes.

The idea with some small boosters is cool. I think its more for really short landings. Speed-breaks are more for slowing down when flying, not landing.

Great answers anyway! I love the Kerbal Space Community!

• 8 months later...

For B9 airbrakes, they must be balanced in some way. For instance, if you put 1 large airbrake on each wing's top, the nose will tend to point upwards. My science on airbrakes is not perfect at all, but you can try placing evenly, behind the CoM. If an airbrake is applying drag over/under the CoM, the plane will pitch accordingly.

And far gives you the possibility of setting control surfaces as spoilers and flaps by right-clicking them in the SPH.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.