How do you interplanetary?

Tidus Klein

How do you go interplanetary  

1. 1. How do you go interplanetary

• wait for a window
    • chill in sun orbit
    • play with the movement nodes
    • hope and pray

Launch in the correct direction to go in or out.

Once out of Kerbin SOI adjust orbit so one side is on the orbit of the target.

Time warp until an intercept is close. Mess around with the nodes till there is an intercept.

If they ever add aging... or consumables... I'll have to change... but until then... no need.

Wait for the transfer window, you'll get there with less hassle and less fuel wasted.

Heck, for certain destinations, (Moho, Dres, Jool, and Eeloo, for instance), the time between Hohmann transfer windows is /shorter/ than the transfer travel time. Time between Hohmann Transfer windows is two and a half times shorter for travels to Jool, nearly four times shorter for the typical Eeloo trip.

In those latter two cases especially, it probably behooves the impatient player to wait for the transfer window. On average, you'll have to wait only about 50-60 days for the next window to Eeloo, and you're going to spend about 400 days or so flying your spacecraft out to that distance anyway.

Edited by maltesh

I'm certain I'm not doing intercepts right. Most of the time I use the maneuver node, but I always land right on the edge of the SOE of my target. So I literally have to drop my speed to almost zero to get captured and have to burn way more fuel than should be necessary.

Waiting for windows is too much effort. I have to look it up somewhere, although I know when the Duna window is so I often wait for that one (then normally find I missed it by a few days).

Otherwise I just go into a sun orbit, then mess around with the maneuver nodes to go the rest of the way.

I do hope with all the science and stuff coming, there will be some new feature to tell us when the windows are.

I'm certain I'm not doing intercepts right. Most of the time I use the maneuver node, but I always land right on the edge of the SOE of my target. So I literally have to drop my speed to almost zero to get captured and have to burn way more fuel than should be necessary.

Try moving the nodes and looking at your perabsis ( I can't spell) of the other planet till your some where half way in to the atmos.

Then do nothing ... you'll get a nice surprise. Trust me :)

Back when I was just starting my interplanetary empire I just ridiculously overengineered my crafts, launched them and then checked out where I could go.

Nowadays I tend to develop really small and efficient craft, so I wait for launch windows. This way I can tailor the probe dV to the target body.

I use the nerdy way and select correct launch window and return window by using Porkchop plots, calculate burns, estimate needed corrections and safety margins (Mostly due to KSP's inaccurate orbit calculation) and plan a ship to do that.

Porkchop plots can be calculated here.

I am diggin' dat calculator!

noob question every one! how do you know what phase angle you are at?

Like posted previously I just launch and mun sling shot and play with the nodes to get to where im going.

in other words how do you know what angle your at, and how do you calculate it?

I usually wait for a window, but as I usually overshoot, I launch a little late for my transfer. Which results in playing with nodes anyway. It's only a few tens of delta-V, so it doesn't really matter. What does matter is when I forget to put rtg's on probes and they die halfway to Duna.

I usually wait for a window, but as I usually overshoot, I launch a little late for my transfer. Which results in playing with nodes anyway. It's only a few tens of delta-V, so it doesn't really matter. What does matter is when I forget to put rtg's on probes and they die halfway to Duna.

yup done that before :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.