camera in building interface

I've notice when I'm building ships that the camera options are kinda limited, especially when the parts want to attach at weird angles or to places I don't want them attached.

Perhaps a fine part control utilizing the keypad, or left-click on the mouse.

another useful addition would be an ability to move the focal point of the camera, it currently has tilt and rotation, rather than having to move the entire ship.

zoom would also be helpful, especially for probes. . .

The camera is actually quite complete when you know all the tricks :)

VAB

Right click + move mouse: rotate camera

Wheel: move up and down

Shift + wheel: Zoom in/out

Middleclick + move up/down: zoom in/out

SPH

Right click + move mouse: rotate camera

Wheel: Zoom in/out

Shift wheel: Up/down

Middleclick + move: change the position of the camera (like first person walk)

I would suggest getting the Editor Extensions mod from kerbal spaceport.

This mod gives you additional functionality in the VAB and SPH. The two most useful extensions are:

1) Vertical snap. This forces parts to be perfectly aligned (middle to middle). But note that the "middle" of a few parts as defined in the part file is not actually the geometric middle! (The large delta wing, for example)

2) Disable surface attach. This means parts will only attach at the green balls. Really useful when you are trying to build your vertical columns and the fuel tanks or engines keep wanting to surface attach somewhere else instead.

This is a common issue: People with laptops who are using touchpad only don't realise that the camera height can be changed.

This should be included in a (much needed) overhaul of the beginner-player's experience when improving the tutorials and the like.

Possible solutions:

• A more discoverable default keybinding (arrow keys or WASD for example).
  • A dialog box that appears the first time you enter the the VAB or SPH and either tells you what the controls are or asks forces you to try them out in a (skippable) mini-tutorial.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.