[0.21 - 1.0.5] Audio Muffler

NovaSilisko

This is a small plugin with a singular purpose: as the air around your ship gets less and less dense, your audio is muffled, until it's nothing more than a deep bass rumble. There's a config file included with the plugin - currently used to toggle its functionality on and off, and to activate debug mode (which spits out a bunch of info to the console as it does its thing).

Known issues: ALL audio is muffled, not a thing I can do about that. Unity's audio system is currently unfortunately quite limited. Also, if your audio system has poor bass response, you won't be able to hear much of anything when it's muffled.

Note, Jan 31 '16: With Unity 5 and its new audio system on the way it might become possible to be more selective about what muffler mutes, but this all depends on how Squad has laid the audio out internally. But I don't think I'll be the one to do this. If 1.1 turns out to be the update that finally kills Muffler, I think I'll pass the torch to anyone else who wants it.

Download from SpaceDock
Download Source

Licensed under CC-BY http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Please let me know of any problems you find, and I'll do what I can.

Edited by NovaSilisko

It'd be nice to preserve the audio in IVA, but as you said... All audio. I'm looking for a mod that adds more audio actually. I want individual sliders for everything. ( and by god the launch clamps need to be tweaked big time. More then 5 and my speakers explode. )

Known issues: ALL audio is muffled, not a thing I can do about that. Unity's audio system is unfortunately quite limited.

I did some testing with this. Instead of adding the AudioLowPassFilter to all AudioListeners, you can add it to all parts on the craft that have Audio. This means you don't have to muffle all game sounds, the music or mods. It does mean that explosions aren't muffled, but there's probably a way around that elsewhere. It works fine for engine sounds, flameouts, decoupling etc. Also, it allows you to have unmuffled sounds in IVA.

• 2 weeks later...

Tested with .22, no issues. Should be future-proof unless the mod loading system is changed.

I did some testing with this. Instead of adding the AudioLowPassFilter to all AudioListeners, you can add it to all parts on the craft that have Audio. This means you don't have to muffle all game sounds, the music or mods. It does mean that explosions aren't muffled, but there's probably a way around that elsewhere. It works fine for engine sounds, flameouts, decoupling etc. Also, it allows you to have unmuffled sounds in IVA.

That would mean keeping track of potentially hundreds of filters, and also somehow monitoring whenever an explosion is created, or anything with an audio source for that matter. Right now there's only a handful of filters, so it doesn't do too much. But, having it on a per-source approach, I don't know what performance penalty there would be... there's also the issue of filtering it to make sure you're only grabbing audio listeners on certain objects, etc. A massive headache to deal with, and more than I'm willing to put into such a simple thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well then can you two gents above me tell me how to un-muffle the other sounds of the game? At first that sublte muffling as you go through the atmosphere was honestly quite a rush. . . I really felt immersed in the final stages of my ascent. But when I started to circularize. . . I also noticed the BGM was also muffled. . . and lol i felt quite alone even with Jeb and Gerfurt on LKO. ;.; But yeah if you guys could give precise instructions as to how to correct this. . . it'd be gladly appreciated. Still an awesome mod nonetheless. \m/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That would mean keeping track of potentially hundreds of filters, and also somehow monitoring whenever an explosion is created, or anything with an audio source for that matter. Right now there's only a handful of filters, so it doesn't do too much. But, having it on a per-source approach, I don't know what performance penalty there would be... there's also the issue of filtering it to make sure you're only grabbing audio listeners on certain objects, etc. A massive headache to deal with, and more than I'm willing to put into such a simple thing.

It was a headache to a certain extent, but it is working correctly now in Atmospheric Sound Enhancement. It is more CPU intensive than listener-only filters, but I haven't seen any noticeable slowdown, and music is played normally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Tested with .22, no issues. Should be future-proof unless the mod loading system is changed.

That would mean keeping track of potentially hundreds of filters, and also somehow monitoring whenever an explosion is created, or anything with an audio source for that matter.

It would mean setting a filter for each sound, which just adds one more layer of processing and probably many hours of development time (especially backtracking through sounds that already don't have filters). But it'd be awesome and I would love anyone who did that!! Realistic sounds would really add a lot to the immersion.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.