Boat Building Station

At the very least a boat launch that you can choose to move to from the SPH would make boat construction much easier.

As far as creating an aircraft carrier that would be problematic because you would need to make a runway on top of the boat that can survive the impact of a plane landing on it. IRL a plane landing on a carrier is going full throttle when it hits catch wires that stop it(if they didn't and missed they would crash)

In the KSP engine, water is literally almost regarded as land. If anything in Kerbin's water goes past it's impact tolerance rate, it immediately would explode.

In order for an update like that, you'd really have to convince Squad, because they have tiny resources working on the actual game.

Have you seen the devblogs? only 1 or 2 people are working on the game at a time. The rest are working on the forums, the ksp webpages,

the installer, FAQ's. Squad is too underpowered.. I would actually be willing to work for them if I knew how to program and if I wasn't a 15 year old teenager.

lol this is a space simulator XD

xDDDDDDDD!!!!!! LOL LEL SUPAR MEME!

Actually boats and sea platforms are really useful for launches, besides, boats are used for recovery and i would liek to see in the future that we actually have to recover things instead of just cliking relciam in the tracking stations..

Yeah. With oceans on Eve and Laythe, possibly also on other planets, flotation devices and some improvements to how KSP handles liquids would be in order. Right now, it all acts like water, while extra-Kerbin oceans could also be made of liquid methane or other interesting compounds. This all would require consideration when planning an exploration mission.

Pros:

1.Water vehicles

To do/cons:

1.Water would need a total rewrite.

2.Boat parts. A lot of them.

3.Physics system for boats and swimming kerbals, realistic hydrodynamics (We don't even have proper aerodynamics right now).

4.Slow and unexciting, little use.

When you put it all together I don't see how there is a need for boats at this point in the game.

Edited by karolk

Pros:

1.Water vehicles

To do/cons:

1.Water would need a total rewrite.

2.Boat parts. A lot of them.

3.Physics system for boats and swimming kerbals, realistic hydrodynamics (We don't even have proper aerodynamics right now).

4.Slow and unexciting, little use.

When you put it all together I don't see how there is a need for boats at this point in the game.

You ever try to EVA when your capsule is splashed down? It's too cute! :)

lol this is a space simulator XD

yup...stating the obvious! Love it. How about a new game, Kerbal Naval Acadamy!? Jeb can go to space, Bubba can play with his dingy! :D There are mods for this kinda stuff, but really!?

Love the water probe idea Skyrinner27!

No, It wouldn't be fun to pilot a boat for hours.....

The end of my Apollo mission..

rOsODQkh.png

Mj86vXEh.png

...not really. I hyperedited it there and back for roleplay reasons.

But, an aquatic explorer on another planet would be fine. I designed an amphibious vessel to land on Eve eventually. (Did you know I beams make great buoyancy enhancers?)

I suggest having a look for a kerbtown based water launchpad, I remember seeing someone post a WIP one.

Boats pose an issue.

A) this is a Space simulator >.>

B)Water would require a full rerwrite

C)THAT BEEPING NOISE I SWEAR TO GOD. Whenever I make a boat it's just FFFFFFFFF.

D)More or less, the ocean is pretty bland. Travel is slow, or else you'll explode, and there's not much to actually DO.

E)Water update. WELP, time to delay resources once more!

In short, Boats are cool to use, but pose a variety of issues and aren't all too interesting. Dedicating an ENTIRE NEW assembly building will take a while and be a bit redundant when you can launch a boat from the SPH. And updating water may pose performance issues for those with mediocre computers.

ADHD VERSION: Meh.

The same logic applies to removing rovers, aircraft, and landers.

not really, you use rovers to explore other planets/moons, you use aircraft to make SSTO craft that can land on other planets/moons with an oxygen atmosphere, you use landers to land on other planets/moons...all things space related.

boats however...nothing to do with the exploration of space

submarines however, that's a different story.

not really, you use rovers to explore other planets/moons, you use aircraft to make SSTO craft that can land on other planets/moons with an oxygen atmosphere, you use landers to land on other planets/moons...all things space related.

One could argue that a submarine is a boat, designed to go under water. Besides, I also use rover parts to create regular cars, and use space-plane parts to create regular airplanes. I'm sure I could use the submarine parts you propose to create a boat.

Because you can cross the oceans of Laythe with a wheel-based rover. :rolleyes:

Good point. I would like to see them in at least a few months.

Actually, Boats have somewhat been made already in KSP. Look up HOCGaming's HMS Hood

Edited by Aphox
Merged multipost: please use edit function