SteamOS

bsalis

SteamOS was announced on Monday... with more announcements to follow.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Plenty of blog articles around if you google a bit. A good one here...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/09/24/why-steamos-faces-a-steep-uphill-battle-in-the-living-room-wars/

Really looking forward to knowing more about it. However, I'm not really a console/living-room gamer, and it seems it is very much oriented towards the living room. Also, it's Linux based, so that will limit game support for now. Long term, I'd be happy to be Windows free though, but am currently shackled to DirectX.

What does everyone else think?

Very impressive, but unfortunately I am not a living room type of guy, so It's a no go for me. +1 for a major company acknowledging Linux! Also I cannot wait until people get rid of the damned DirectX for good and I can switch to Linux properly.

Gaming has been the #1 thing that forces me to keep a copy of Windows around. Considering I build my PC's myself I don't get the benefit of a 'free' OEM copy of Windows, so I had to periodically buy a copy until I persuaded the company to shell out for a technet subscription. Now Microsoft is modifying technet so you can only download trial versions of their products, which means technet is not really of much benefit to us, so it looks like I'll be back to paying for it.

Which brings me to my point, the price. Windows is bloody expensive to buy retail. I'm talking like near €400 the last time I looked at buying XP Pro (I ended up getting a student copy at €120, a bit iffy considering I'm not actually a student, but better than piracy, I'm sure you'll agree). Looking at the Microsoft store, the upgrade price for 8 Pro is €279.

Think of all the games you could buy for that cash.

I am a living room gamer, and SteamOS doesn't interest me in the least; mainly because I'd committed to the Xbox "walled garden" nearly a decade ago and don't feel the need to hook another one up to my TV. Others may find it useful or interesting, but it's just not for me.

-- Steve

This looks quite intresting. I wouldn't mind doing X3 with a 42 inch screen, but personally I will be sticking with a PC for most games, as using a keyboard and mouse on a beanbag, with the screen at a 30 degree angle is an easy way to get neckstrain.

I'm not into consoles or "living room" gaming. I prefer keyboard and mouse (and sometimes joystick) games using my machine (went from Mac to Windows and back to Mac and OpenGL). Otherwise I'd be using Linux (both are based on Unix). I use Steam for most of my games. A Steam OS might be interesting and useful, but right now its vapor. When its out, then we can find out if it has the "right stuff".

Or you could use a $1 cable from a Laptop's HDMI port to a TV's HDMI port :P

I am more interested in, is the word "Linux", combined with the word "2.500 games of Steam", because I am not actually very sure how that is possible.

On the other hand, if that means that SteamOS, will include some sort of properly developed and supported library emulating whatsamathingy, like wine then that is a more significant announcement than people realize.

Or you could use a $1 cable from a Laptop's HDMI port to a TV's HDMI port :P

I am more interested in, is the word "Linux", combined with the word "2.500 games of Steam", because I am not actually very sure how that is possible.

On the other hand, if that means that SteamOS, will include some sort of properly developed and supported library emulating whatsamathingy, like wine then that is a more significant announcement than people realize.

It doesn't emulate it streams your games from your pc to your steams over LAN.

So, you could have SteamOS could be on a Raspberry Pi and you could stream GTA 4 to it.

I doubt the Rasp Pi could handle the streaming. I have one, and it's not the most powerful processor, though it's a neat little gadget to play around with. I'm planning on making it a portable pi as soon as I get a prtable display and a mini keyboard.

Huh, neat made a thread about raspberry pis: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50707-Raspberry-Pi?p=661921#post661921

I wonder what new games will be realised and i found a realaese date about early 2014.

Edited by hotmailcompany52

I guess for me, I would be most interested in an OS specifically designed for gaming. I'm not really sure exactly what the scope of possible improvements are in that area, but it's enough to get my attention. Of course, right now the closest thing I have to a living room is the TV perpendicular to my computer, facing the couch. Given that I normally use a keyboard, I am rarely tempted to use the TV instead of my monitor (the TV is always hooked up for streaming through), and sitting at my desk gives me a screen that is about the same apparent size I think. So if I went for this, it would probably be as an alternate OS, or just something for the next time I change OS (free also gets my interest, depending on how capable it is as a general OS).

In the future, with a house all to myself, the whole two computer thing is not at all appealing, not until the TV itself can be that second computer streaming from the gaming rig. Of course, that might just be the reality by the time that happens. Also, Valve probably has a better shot than anyone at actually getting games onto Linux, and I have to figure that this is the opening move in a years long plan. I also have to figure that Valve is in an excellent position to try and bring Linux into the mainstream properly, both because they are potentially in a position to provide incentives to the gaming masses (if they can bring the games), and because it will be a Linux OS developed by a body that is already experienced with designing programs for the masses, so I think they could create something that people might find easier to use. They'll very much want to make the transition as easy as possible, rather than computer enthusiasts making an OS for other enthusiasts.

This is great, both from an internal and external view.

Externally, if you have a system dedicated for games (and nothing else), this is the best OS for it.

Internally, because Valve can change the OS however it likes for Steam, then performance goes through the roof, as background features on other OS' would slightly lag the computer, but not in this case since it's supposed to.

Great move overall.

I think the reference to the full game catalog being available is by using the streaming feature. So Steam on a Windows box running the game, with the player using the SteamOS box to play it.

As for Wine, will be interesting if that plays a part. Possibly integrated into SteamOS like how I think DosBox is used for some old games on Steam. Time will tell... but i'm skeptical about how far and stable Wine can be pushed... Valve needs to set a higher bar for stability than what many Linux gamers are willing to put up with.

I guess for me, I would be most interested in an OS specifically designed for gaming.

Also, Valve probably has a better shot than anyone at actually getting games onto Linux, and I have to figure that this is the opening move in a years long plan.

Yes totally agree on a gaming oriented OS. Erik in that Forbes blog I linked said it was way overdue.

As for getting game devs to support the Linux platform, it's the usual chicken and egg problem. However most games nowadays are developed for multiple platforms, namely Playstation, Xbox and our beloved PC. Xbox and PC are both basically DirectX boxes, so really two technical platforms (x86/DirectX and Cell/PSGL) and two interface types (Desk/Keyboard/Monitor and Couch/Gamepad/TV). Getting them to take on another platform will be hard to pull off if there is a small Linux and SteamOS install base.

However....... as it happens, the new Playstation 4 is x86 based and supports DirectX and OpenGL :). So, if a game dev goes down the path of x86 and OpenGL, then that will cover 3 platforms; Playstation 4, PC, Linux/SteamOS. If they do a DirectX version as well (like how they cover two technical platform already), then they have the new Xbox as well. So hey - who knows.

Anyhows... more news

They are doing beta hardware! Have yet to read and digest it fully.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Edited by bsalis

And we have Valve's third 'big announcement' this week, this... thing.

Welp, with this gampad and hardware announcement, it's clear that this is a "PC console" they are setting their sights on.

Question is will they convert console gamers without some exclusive (which was once called a killer app). Or will they convert PC gamers which are questioning what this offers beyond a windows box with Steam on it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.