What is MechJeb

Spartaneri

This thread has an overpowering stench of troll but might as well roll with it.

MechJeb is a feature-rich suite of tools that help you pilot your ship. I can do certain things for you like land within a meter or two of a specified target or coordinate, guide your ships to orbit, execute a maneuver node with good precision, plan precise rendezvous nodes (one time the node it created was so precise one of my ships took out a whole bank of solar panels on the other), and dock for you. It's not especially good at most of those things (the current fan-based patch ruined precision landing for me and does some strange things during launch sometimes) and you can generally get better results by doing them yourself (docking comes to mind), but it is quite helpful for the newbie and veteran alike.

All that being said, you will definitely get more out of it if you know what you're doing first. Smart A.S.S. is very useful when you know what you're actually having it point at, for instance.

This thread has an overpowering stench of troll but might as well roll with it.

MechJeb is a feature-rich suite of tools that help you pilot your ship. I can do certain things for you like land within a meter or two of a specified target or coordinate, guide your ships to orbit, execute a maneuver node with good precision, plan precise rendezvous nodes (one time the node it created was so precise one of my ships took out a whole bank of solar panels on the other), and dock for you. It's not especially good at most of those things (the current fan-based patch ruined precision landing for me and does some strange things during launch sometimes) and you can generally get better results by doing them yourself (docking comes to mind), but it is quite helpful for the newbie and veteran alike.

All that being said, you will definitely get more out of it if you know what you're doing first. Smart A.S.S. is very useful when you know what you're actually having it point at, for instance.

This is an excellent synopsis on MechJeb's functions. Anyone who tells you it "plays the game for you" is either being overly simplistic or has no practical knowledge of what it actually does. Try it out, see if it helps. If you like it, use it. If not, that's fine too. Above all, enjoy yourself.

"MechJeb plays the game for you!"

So it builds my rockets too?

If you don't like MechJeb you have no business posting in this thread. The OP asked a simple question, there's no need to come in here and bash MechJeb or the player that decides to use it. Any more of that behavior on this thread will be dealt with by me personally.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

From my point of view, it's a too-complete mod that will end up piloting the entirety of a flight.

All you have to do to get anything done is press a sequence of buttons. Maybe playing with a slider a bit if you know exactly what you want. If you don't know exactly what you want, then mechjeb will get as close as possible. It's a very powerful autopilot.

It also causes severe cases of denial and tends to break owner's limbs and put itself as a never-going-out crutch.

Sure, you still design your own rockets, unless you design something mechjeb decides not to fly, which happens most of the times you want to do something out of the norm.

My personal advice: Play the game as it is intended to first, and then see if you need mods, and once you become bored of all of that, install mechjeb and get some popcorn.