Hey everyone! a quick question to get started.

You'll see on the real shuttle, that most of the engines are already angled quite a bit towards the dorsal side.Space_Shuttle_Endeavour_by_rogelead.png If I recall correctly, they could gimbal an additional 5-10 degrees(I might be completely wrong about this) to compensate for the asymmetric amount of thrust and mass.

It's not really easy to maky such a craft in KSP, but I have seen it done. What you may end up doing, is simply attaching your lifting stage directly below your plane stage.

I think that design is really cool and I actually have had success with it in the past. what you need to do is first build the space plane and make sure that the center of thrust lines up with the center of mass, (the 3 little buttons under the part index toggle these on and off) after that you should get an orange tank and strap it on, now you will notice that your center of mass and center of thrust are not lined up at all, to counter this place large solid fuel boosters so that the center of mass and center of thrust are lined up again, however when you jettison the solid fuel boosters it will make your rocket lean, you can use this to your advantage just like in real life and use this turn as your gravity turn, so just rotate your rocket so that the orange tank faces east (or witch ever direction you want your rocket to go) and blast off!

There is a reason why the Space Shuttle has its engines canted the way they are. This is to push the center of thrust through the center of mass. I built one working space shuttle on the side of a launcher rocket. It took 2 days, working 4 hours a day, to get it to work right, but I finally got it to work. It was a nightmare. And may the lords of Kerbin help you if you try and put cargo in the cargo bay. You have to recalculate everything and adjust the thrust on the shuttle accordingly.

I suggest looking at the design of the actual space shuttle and launcher, and then look at the Russian version and you will find some tricks you can use to make your own. Good luck and have fun!

It's much easier to do it like this. Would have been safer IRL as well..... no chance of debris strike that caused the columbia disaster with the orbiter-on-top design.

The irony... practically every design rule in KSP says "wider, not higher."

Except where IRL we go wider, not higher. Then, KSP goes higher, not wider...

Edited by Kerbart
Removed pic from quote

Check out white owl on youtube, last year he had built a similar shuttle using mods.

Or check out his thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/26533-White-Owl-s-KSP-Video-Series?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.