Kerbal Artwork

Hayoo

I just checked out all your pics .... I hope you dont mind but I'm going to use a couple for my desktop background there THAT good :D

Also ... Can you put more art on T-shirts? - I mean I like what squad offers but some of the stuff u have is better :)

I just checked out all your pics .... I hope you dont mind but I'm going to use a couple for my desktop background there THAT good :D

Also ... Can you put more art on T-shirts? - I mean I like what squad offers but some of the stuff u have is better :)

Thanks. Glad you like them. I do have more art in the works, so there are more shirts coming. As a side note, I wouldn't considering anything I've done as better or worse, just a different style, as I can't use their artwork. I'm sure Squad will have more merchandise coming.

Edited by Hayoo

My face :D When I saw them

Finally got the magnet samples. They look good, but I think the corners are too sharp to be kid friendly. :( I will be looking for a vendor who can do safer, more rounded corners, and probably in the smaller 1" or 1.5" range.

magnets1_jeffmcdowalldesign.jpg

magnets2_jeffmcdowalldesign.jpg

magnets3_jeffmcdowalldesign.jpg

Edited by Hayoo

Opting for magnetic sheets similar to the approach Minecraft did with theirs.

Largest size I found that can be purchased by print-on-demand is 3"x5". These are thicker than printable magnet sheets, but still can be cut. The size allows for various numbers and layouts of parts, as seen in the mockups below.

3x5_parts_layouts.jpg

new_parts_magnets.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Made some more progress on that Space Program card game I mentioned some time ago.

mini_space_program.jpg

Thoughts on gameplay:

I wanted this to be small and quick. Something you could fit in your pocket and play for less than an hour. I also wanted it to play like a mix of Munchkin and Settlers of Catan, but with a Kerbal Space Program flair. Helping, trading, occasionally back-stabbing your opponents. But I also liked the idea of keeping the "losers" in-the-game by ruling that all players must reach a minimum level in the game for anyone to win.

Number of Players: 1-5

Each player takes on the role of a space company trying to further mini-kind into space.

To win you need to gain victory points by completing missions and contracts, gathering science, building bases, and such. Each mission requires a number of stages and spacecraft to complete. These are gathered from the deck or traded among players. Your competitors can either help you on each mission by donating their own rocket parts for a share of the glory, or throw malfunctions and mishaps at you to bring you down a notch.

But be warned, if you leave players too far behind then you all lose. All players must end the game at a certain Company Level, so while you can race to be first, you will need to make sure no one gets left behind.

Ideally. I would like play time to be as little as 30-40min.

Components:

Each player will have a Company mat, with areas for building your spaceport and tracking your company level and reputation.

In the card deck are rocket parts, science research, missions and contracts, and Nation and Industry cards. Nation cards are countries that you can affiliate yourself with to gain a bonus, but you will also suffer a disadvantage. The Industry cards will give you bonuses on manufacturing your own space parts or researching sciences.

A second deck holds the planets and location cards. These make up your game board. You can arrange them any way you like on the playing surface. When taking a mission to these locations you must first have all the parts you need and match the difficulty level with your company level, then you can move your spacecraft from its launch point to its destination. The first edition will have all the inner planets and some asteroids. Later expansions would include more planets and locations.

The game will incorporate various rockets and spacecraft Meeples (game tokens) to track missions, to mark landings and orbits, and just generally look nice on the playing area. Each player will have spaceport buildings, spacecraft, orbital probes, lander probes, manned landers, planet bases, fuel depots, and little Micronauts. Paper tokens would be available for those who can't aquire or print their own plastic or wood meeples.

Admittedly, the number of meeples would probably keep this from being a "microgame." Still working on that and what I can remove...though I do love me some meeples.

There's tons more...

But I could probably fill pages and pages with my concepts and playtests. For now this is just the concept art and general ideas. I can post more details another time and in another site.

Edited by Hayoo

Made some more progress on that Space Program card game I mentioned some time ago.

http://www.jeffmcdowalldesign.com/images/mini_space_program.jpg

Thoughts on gameplay:

I wanted this to be small and quick. Something you could fit in your pocket and play for less than an hour. I also wanted it to play like a mix of Munchkin and Settlers of Catan, but with a Kerbal Space Program flair. Helping, trading, occasionally back-stabbing your opponents. But I also liked the idea of keeping the "losers" in-the-game by ruling that all players must reach a minimum level in the game for anyone to win.

Each player takes on the role of a space company trying to further mini-kind into space.

To win you need to gain victory points by completing missions and contracts, gathering science, building bases, and such. Each mission requires a number of stages and spacecraft to complete. These are gathered from the deck or traded among players. Your competitors can either help you on each mission by donating their own rocket parts for a share of the glory, or throw malfunctions and mishaps at you to bring you down a notch.

But be warned, if you leave players too far behind then you all lose. All players must end the game at a certain Company Level, so while you can race to be first, you will need to make sure no one gets left behind.

Components:

Each player will have a Company mat, with areas for building your spaceport and tracking your company level and reputation.

In the card deck are rocket parts, science research, missions and contracts, and Nation and Industry cards. Nation cards are countries that you can affiliate yourself with to gain a bonus, but you will also suffer a disadvantage. The Industry cards will give you bonuses on manufacturing your own space parts or researching sciences.

A second deck holds the planets and location cards. These make up your game board. You can arrange them any way you like on the playing surface. When taking a mission to these locations you must first have all the parts you need and match the difficulty level with your company level, then you can move your spacecraft from its launch point to its destination. The first edition will have all the inner planets and some asteroids. Later expansions would include more planets and locations.

The game will incorporate various rockets and spacecraft Meeples (game tokens) to track missions, to mark landings and orbits, and just generally look nice on the playing area. Each player will have spaceport buildings, spacecraft, orbital probes, lander probes, manned landers, planet bases, fuel depots, and little Micronauts. Paper tokens would be available for those who can't aquire or print their own plastic or wood meeples.

Admittedly, the number of meeples would probably keep this from being a "microgame." Still working on that and what I can remove...though I do love me some meeples.

There's tons more...

But I could probably fill pages and pages with my concepts and playtests. For now this is just the concept art and general ideas. I can post more details another time and in another site.

This is a really great idea!!! But one thing the cards have the Irl planets on them is that on purpose?

http://www.jeffmcdowalldesign.com/images/mini_space_program.jpg

Thoughts on gameplay:

Components:

There's tons more...

I would definitely buy that!

This is a really great idea!!! But one thing the cards have the Irl planets on them is that on purpose?

Yes, it is a game about space programs in the real world, but I will be also adapting the game into a KSP version for Print-n-Play.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.