Kerbal Artwork

Hayoo

• 4 weeks later...
Made some more progress on that Space Program card game I mentioned some time ago.

http://www.jeffmcdowalldesign.com/images/mini_space_program.jpg

Thoughts on gameplay:

I wanted this to be small and quick. Something you could fit in your pocket and play for less than an hour. I also wanted it to play like a mix of Munchkin and Settlers of Catan, but with a Kerbal Space Program flair. Helping, trading, occasionally back-stabbing your opponents. But I also liked the idea of keeping the "losers" in-the-game by ruling that all players must reach a minimum level in the game for anyone to win.

Number of Players: 1-5

Each player takes on the role of a space company trying to further mini-kind into space.

To win you need to gain victory points by completing missions and contracts, gathering science, building bases, and such. Each mission requires a number of stages and spacecraft to complete. These are gathered from the deck or traded among players. Your competitors can either help you on each mission by donating their own rocket parts for a share of the glory, or throw malfunctions and mishaps at you to bring you down a notch.

But be warned, if you leave players too far behind then you all lose. All players must end the game at a certain Company Level, so while you can race to be first, you will need to make sure no one gets left behind.

Ideally. I would like play time to be as little as 30-40min.

Components:

Each player will have a Company mat, with areas for building your spaceport and tracking your company level and reputation.

In the card deck are rocket parts, science research, missions and contracts, and Nation and Industry cards. Nation cards are countries that you can affiliate yourself with to gain a bonus, but you will also suffer a disadvantage. The Industry cards will give you bonuses on manufacturing your own space parts or researching sciences.

A second deck holds the planets and location cards. These make up your game board. You can arrange them any way you like on the playing surface. When taking a mission to these locations you must first have all the parts you need and match the difficulty level with your company level, then you can move your spacecraft from its launch point to its destination. The first edition will have all the inner planets and some asteroids. Later expansions would include more planets and locations.

The game will incorporate various rockets and spacecraft Meeples (game tokens) to track missions, to mark landings and orbits, and just generally look nice on the playing area. Each player will have spaceport buildings, spacecraft, orbital probes, lander probes, manned landers, planet bases, fuel depots, and little Micronauts. Paper tokens would be available for those who can't aquire or print their own plastic or wood meeples.

Admittedly, the number of meeples would probably keep this from being a "microgame." Still working on that and what I can remove...though I do love me some meeples.

There's tons more...

But I could probably fill pages and pages with my concepts and playtests. For now this is just the concept art and general ideas. I can post more details another time and in another site.

create a new tread for this one! :)

Made some more progress on that Space Program card game I mentioned some time ago.

There's tons more...

But I could probably fill pages and pages with my concepts and playtests. For now this is just the concept art and general ideas. I can post more details another time and in another site.

That sounds really interesting.

For those who like big boardgames, let me notice this one : High Frontier which is a bit hardcore but really good and complete.

pic727149_md.jpg

Hey so saw Kerbals Facbook post about your project and wanted to reach out and help this become a reality.

I have been working on a few board games myself and while mine are at a bit of a stand still I was hopping to hopefully help with yours and see how far you have come. I love Munchkin, play it with my friends t least once a week. Anyway I think I got a bit of a grasp of what you are trying to do but the pictures above and the concept confuse me. If you would like help please let me know.

Also check out a game called "Galaxy Trucker" Not sure if it will help but I think it might help with the space race aspect with teams.

create a new tread for this one! :)

I plan to once I have a second wave of info and images ready.

That sounds really interesting.

Thanks. I have come across High Frontier before. It looked like a nice game, with some nice orbital transfer mechanics. I may try it some day with a friend.

if you need any collaborators on that space themed card game, hit me up!

Thank you, I appreciate it. I think I'm good for the moment. We'll see when I get further along. :)

That looks like a great idea :D If you'll need any help with making any gaming pieces/tokens , i'm all yours :)

Thanks! I have the meeple tokens pretty much finished. Maybe later this year I'll begin work on the plastic miniature designs, but we shall see.

Hey so saw Kerbals Facbook post about your project and wanted to reach out and help this become a reality.

I appreciate all this sudden interest! I'm at a slow point in development since life is keeping me very busy (especially with taxes around the corner), but when the pace picks up again I may solicit assistance. I'm still settling on a few last rules. Once I get that down I will post the first version and see what people think. I have seen Galaxy Trucker on Boardgamegeek, but I haven't played it. I love the artwork and the little spacemen. I believe I already have the PDF rules somewhere in my files.

Galaxy Trucker is an awesome game, one of my favorite (and Vlaada Chvatil is my favorite boardgame designer), but I recommend to try it before buying it because it is really particular and note every body will enjoy the strange puzzle phase and the more "passive" phase of traveling (but I strongly recommend to play to it (only at 4 players by the way)).

I have note cited it because it less relevant to KSP than High Frontier, there is not really exploration, orbit or whatever (and there are hips of game about Space Exploration: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1113/space-exploration).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Originally was going to be posted in another thread until I discovered that Hayoo was the designer and was still active here.

I found a great Decal that I wanted to make into a flag. But my paint skills are not adequate, nor do I have the programs to do it, and paint.net (or whatever the site was) stumped me.

Can anyone convert this decal I found into a flag? I did find the same logo on a flag earlier in one of the threads, but it was on a blue background. I would prefer a transparent background. (The logo already has a transparent background) from : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50660-Kerbal-Artwork

ksp_agency_logo.png

So is there any chance you can convert this logo into a flag with a transparent background?

Thanks,

So is there any chance you can convert this logo into a flag with a transparent background?

Thanks,

Hi BlackHat. Glad you liked the logo. Here is the flag version with transparency.

ksp_agency_flag_by_jeffmcdowalldesign.png

Glad you like it. Here is the flag version.

http://kerbalspaceflight.com/images/kerbal_fist_flag.png

Thats my new wallpaper now! :D viva la rocket revolution! (The kerbal fist is quite cute and the colours go togther really well.) +rep to you.
KEBALS ARE LYFE
KERBALS OUR LOVE KERBALS OUR LYFE!:sticktongue: Edited by CG_Kerbin

• 2 months later...

Thoughts on gameplay:

I wanted this to be small and quick. Something you could fit in your pocket and play for less than an hour. I also wanted it to play like a mix of Munchkin and Settlers of Catan, but with a Kerbal Space Program flair. Helping, trading, occasionally back-stabbing your opponents. But I also liked the idea of keeping the "losers" in-the-game by ruling that all players must reach a minimum level in the game for anyone to win.

If you can stuff all of these ideas in a single game, it might become my favorite board game ever. I love small and fast games :)

• 1 month later...
I wonder if you could pitch the game to a company like Looney Labs? Andy was a former NASA engineer and he may get a kick out of it. He is also pretty experienced with licensing if you look at the many different versions of Fluxx he's put out.

Sure, who knows? I can reach out to him soon as I have something playable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

@Hayoo could I have your permission to immortalize one of your logos in a contract pack mod?

j9yfaWb.png

This pack takes a player through launching sounding rockets until they reach space. After which the Kerbal Sounding Project becomes the Kerbal Space Program.

Let me know!

I was also wondering if you could make a Kerbal Space Center logo that I can use to flag contracts specifically for the Kerbal Space Center.

Edited by inigma

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies, Inigma. I haven't been on in a good while.

Yes, you may use the KSP logo in your mod. I have been wanting to do a KSC one too for a while. I'll see what I can do.

Edited by Hayoo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.