Modular Base Creation Kit

Temstar

That looks really cool, the crawler is the most interesting piece to me. I love it, it looks like it has the potential to be top-heavy though. My 2 questions are, is it and if it is, how do you correct for it?

That looks really cool, the crawler is the most interesting piece to me. I love it, it looks like it has the potential to be top-heavy though. My 2 questions are, is it and if it is, how do you correct for it?

I dunno. I found it lacking in torque. I use my own version which has two probe cores so you can change which way is the front and action group 0 toggles the torque (which mine has more of). That plus docking mode using SAS has so far prevented tipping with the work on Tranquility.

Some pieces can be pretty top heavy, that orange tank for storing fuel is one. You can still drive the rover with it on top, you just have to be gentle when accelerating, braking and cornering. The rover does have a 1.25m SAS onboard and I find turning SAS on helps in keeping the rover level.

Some pieces can be pretty top heavy, that orange tank for storing fuel is one. You can still drive the rover with it on top, you just have to be gentle when accelerating, braking and cornering. The rover does have a 1.25m SAS onboard and I find turning SAS on helps in keeping the rover level.

Straight reaction wheels for me. Even stronger.

Really great work! Using similar principal I started putting together a base on minimus, until the poor frame rate made the process unplayable<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/al_heeley/minbase_zpse468bbb3.jpg' alt='minbase_zpse468bbb3.jpg'>

If I may offer up a suggestion to remove the top-heavy-ness of the crawler, have you considered moving the wheel base farther out? I am not sure if the physics in this game would respond to that, but the physics in real life would. Just a suggestion, this is still really kick-ass, makes my science outposts look like ****

I can't get the "Fuel Tanker Rover Lander" down onto the moon. It keeps going out of balance right before touchdown. Any guidance? (I'm not using MechJeb to land this one. If I do, it just crashes anyway.)

Yes for that you need to disable the fuel flow from the rover's fuel tank. Using up the fuel in the rover's tank causes CoM shift and will unbalance the ship. Having to bring the rover down fully fuelled means that you need to do some sort of refuelling as it doesn't have enough fuel for a one shot trip directly to the surface. Either keep the rocket stage in LKO and refuel that rocket, or refuel the lander stage in Mun orbit before going for deorbit burn.

Also, as a rule of thumb it's a good idea to do your deorbit burn from a low orbit. If I were to bring that rover to the surface I would go for a 20-30km orbit above the Mun surface, refuel to full by sending a tanker to meet it and then perform the powered landing.

I just came across this Modular bast kit - and really like it. Playing around with it, I now run into a small problem.

I want to set up a small Mu bast for the beginning. Starting with an Y-Truss with tower which successflly landed on Mun. But now, after landing, I cannot not switch back to the Space Center or to another craft. So i had to kill the game, restart, do the landing again with the same result: Cannto leave for the Space Center after the landing was successfull. I double checked everything, and I see no differecne compared to other crafts I had landed.

Any idea what might be wrong?

That is either a major game bug or you have devilish mods at play. I started Tranquility base with the Y-tower and had no difficulties. Make sure your throttle is zero (press X) which can sometimes prevent that if you have no engines but are still throttled up.

That is either a major game bug or you have devilish mods at play. I started Tranquility base with the Y-tower and had no difficulties. Make sure your throttle is zero (press X) which can sometimes prevent that if you have no engines but are still throttled up.

Well, I deleted the flight in the tracking station and send a new one to Mun. This time, it works without problem. It definitly looks like osme kind of bug. Throttle was zero of course and this never had happend before in all the flights i made.

First off, awesome work you've done here Temstar! Absolutely amazing. I'm super excited to start using these parts to get something up and running.

That being said, I've run into one issue. In your description of the Base Truss Transporter, you say "To load your own, get rid of all the trusses and then load the ones you need for your own base." Removing the ones I don't want is easy, but how do you go about adding the trusses you DO want? I tried saving some of them as subassemblies in Subassembly Manager, but that mod won't save it in a way that the docking ports on the trusses will stick to the lifter. What am I doing wrong (or if anyone who's had better luck wouldn't mind chiming in either)?

Regardless, keep up the good work!