Modular Base Creation Kit

Temstar

Are they getting rid of the old landing legs entirely? If the new springy landing legs have some kind of "disable suspension" option then this construction method will still work just by switching entirely to the new type of leg.

Ive just finished a base on duna using a very similar style of rover construction. I launched the entire base and landed it in one go then attached it together on the surface using a rover. Ive been making a video log of the entire thing here, the actual landing and construction videos will be online in a few days once ive edited and uploaded them.

db2_zpsce792dae.png

db1_zpse79c381f.png

Edited by Tarsus

how is this going to work with the new landing legs with suspensions/pistons? wouldn't it go out of alignment?

I haven't upgraded yet & and I'd also like to know if the changes to the landing legs have been causing any problems.

yes but will this construction method still work with the new shocks?

Ow noes this design is now doomed to fail in 0.22 with the new landings legs.. in my base all the heavier (habitation, fuel) modules sink by half in kerbin with the pistons, not sure about the mun. We need rigid legs or else it will be too hard.. :)

Edited by Beduino

I tried loading up an existing base with the new legs, all the legs begin retracted and when you lower them by base leans over to the one side because of weight imbalance. I didn't try detaching anything as I was worried it wouldn't go back together again.

That also happens to me. On kerbin it was damaging to the base on the start, the base falls to the ground and some of the docking ports are destroyed. On the mun it's ok in the sense that i can extend all the legs. But the base height isnt correct anymore so docking parts are not attaching and all the landing legs flash like a xmas tree.

Also i think the whole thing is lagging more then before.

Maybe it's just a matter of designing a new base crawler a bit lower.. but i'm all in to weld some of my designs, lag is just abysmal.

Also this design with the new landing legs is doomed to fail in planets with different gravity.

Edited by Beduino

Hey there, this is going to be my first post on the very interresting Official Forum :)

This thread is the first where I want to reply, cause I've made my own Duna Station, and want to participate here and why not get some suggestion.

But firstly, congrats for all the good jobs that we can find here ! The autor took the time to clearly explain the differents modules, this is really comfortable to read :)

I found that there was a lack of utilty vehicle, that's why i'm going to introduce mine.

EDIT : Well, sorry, since i'm new I thought I could post the message and edit it kinda quickly, but there is a validation step. I'll post my creations when i'll have more time, and after trying to make a decent translation from french :)

Edited by Dakitess

This is my first post in this community. I had to post because this is so epic. Now, I may read on and find more epic things, but this implementation and design are truly amazing. I have been having a great time with the game and stuff like this just keeps me excited to play. I don't use any mods yet so I had not really given much thought to a base on another planet much passed a beefed up lander with a bunch of science on it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. It is one thing to come up with great ideas like these and actually get them done... it is a whole other thing to then take the time to spell out process and share all of your hard work and gained insights with the rest of us. Stuff like this really makes me smile, so thanks again.

Well, I was reading my french thread, and this is kinda big... So I decided to create my own thread here : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54715-The-Duna-Colonisation-by-the-Dakitess-Corporation

Give it a look if you want, lots of things are coming since everything is already done, Screenshots are already available but I need to make a "decent" translation...

Even if it does not look like a Base Project, It is ^^ This is the very beginning, when I was preparing the Carrier for the coming travels :)

Since the other modular base is long to translate, i show you another ground base :

mQ4vheo.jpg

RETe76C.png

g3GXWso.png

EMp0gEB.jpg

CN9a8vk.jpg

5hjh5XG.png

This is an all-in-one Ground Base, large enough to welcome 53 Kerbonauts ! But as always, Dakitess Corporation prefers to give comfortable situation for his heroes, and it has been decided that 5 guys is perfect, on in each lateral apartment, and the commander in the center.

Thanks to the four engines embedded, this station is completely able to land in water (tested !). Tkink about Laythe and multiple small island made of this Base, linked by flexible bridge ;)

This Base has been completely assemblied module after module, to prove the faisability of the project. The all-in-one version allow to have something structurally reliable, without the flexibility of docking ports. Below, you can find the complete thread (French, sorry...) of the differents steps :

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.fr/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2054

Ive never really been one for using other peoples ships, my pride wont allow it :P

I can say however, that i am thoroughly inspired by the design. I tried something similar with a small mining outpost but bumped into alot of trouble when trying to dock when on the ground. I quite like the interesting ways you have got around the problems. One worry I have for my base is how the newly designed landing legs are going to act (what with them being very springy). I have a feeling they will just sag under any semi-heavy structure...

also, that looks quite cool Dakitess. :D

Thanks Highlad, glad you liked it ! I do not know about new legs behaviour, but I expect them to be as tough as before no ?

Were you speaking about the Duna Base (Link in top of the page) or the Eve one ? Both use the same trick to deal with realism and feasibility, but I see you speaking about ground docking.

In reference to the OP, I really like your designs and the idea is great. I've read the post several times, have gotten several different components down onto the Mun and I understand your solution for the docking ports not always matching up but for the life of me I can rarely get it to work within the first 15 minutes of trying. Even the small rover sitting directly under a docking port rarely seems to work. The only mods I am using are MechJeb and the Kethane mods.

I do not know about new legs behaviour, but I expect them to be as tough as before no ?

Well they changed the way the suspension works so its great for landing nice and soft but for this, the legs will sag under the weight and the craft will drop lower. At that point the base is no longer a set hight above the ground as some heavier modules may be lower than the lighter ones. I'm still not to sure how extreme the effect will be. I have been working on another challenge and so have not had the time to build my base... tomorrow I shall get started on my MunBase