Modular Base Creation Kit

Temstar

Base are soooo cool ^^ This is the way to offer new interractions with orbital station ! Organisation become important, and transfers has to be relevant.

I'm kinda disapointed of the desinterest from people about my Duna Base, I'm not really motivated to continue the translation :s But it took me sometime to assembly it with some realism, so if you're interested in it, just let me know, I could post the rest of it.

Do you have some Base to show ? Whatever if it's All-In-One or Modular ^^

Really ? I don't know how "sticky" works...

In the Spacecraft Exchange there's always a Thread of the month. It was Mulbin's Munbug in September and this thread in October. Properbly it will be "Space Station Replicas" by teo in November.

Depending on how much part you're running, but from the beginning, this is kinda important to optimise each modules and avoid any useless part (think about RCS ^^).

I use to develop my base in 2 or 3 different place, 2.5 km between each, to get something complete et relevant, while limiting framerate impact. Especially the habitation blocs, the final part, most of the time fully autonomous and well equiped ;)

This is just gorgeous. Developing my own modules to customize my base, starting with a sort of base for a base module that I can just stack parts on top of for whatever I need. Notably I'm adding KAS for easier ship servicing and removing some of the finicky aspect of parking against a docking port. Still the fact you managed to do it all stock is just amazing stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Due to my nature of criticizing every knew invention(well, not every) I want to share my opinion of this kit.

The kit is though through very well, the crawlers look cool, attaching modules is a breeze, and the launchers are mostly well done.

Pros: easy to connect and assemble, spare fuel

Cons: hab module lifter wants to tip over, surface propellant depot module lifter doesn't work(just explodes on launch pad),

No crew rovers made(except for tankers).

There is also an issue where a module/truss refuses to berth with a crawler in the event where a crawler docked once and attempts to dock a second time.

Overall this kit is well worth the respect. The quality is very good compared to such underdeveloped kits like Rune's

I do hope all KSP players use your kit and construct their own bases.

There is only 1 thing your kit is missing-manned rovers which can also be docked to the base like the NASA LER(Lunar electric rover)

• 4 weeks later...

Okay. Here is the way I go about doing it. First, take the truss you already have on off. Then re-attach it with 2x symmetry. You may have difficulty with this as I think the docking ports are attached in 4x symmetry. In that case, I'm not 100% sure. I have not been working on bases much so my kerbin system is both neglected and my experience working with the pack is slightly dated.

Bump.

In the "art of modular base building" thread Temstar posted first, he touched on the concept of top loader gantry vehicles to move the modules. Now, the first thing that comes to mind is KAS. Now, KAS has gotten big and become a bit of a memory burden, so I wanted to try it without KAS (as I don't have it). This was the product of some tinkering:

2w3h.png

I'm using aircraft landing gear which I removed from the 'Gear' action group, tweak enabled steering on, and assigned deployment to AG1 and 2 for front and rear respectively (they still don't have taxi motors so some big wheels gotta stay on the ground). I was getting magnetic docks even before I could lower the gear, on KERBIN! Therefore it's guaranteed to work on any planet except Tylo (who would build a base there anyways?). The pic just shows a cool move of docking the base crawler to the truss and then docking the truss gantry to that. It worked surprisingly well.

I am working to develop an unmanned version for prolonged operations and precursor work. Additionally, I am adding a docking port to the front (already one on the rear) and spacing it so that when two gantrys dock as one, their payloads will inadvertently dock so long as they both carry 5 segment long trusses. I built around the long X-truss since ~3 lengths wide and 5 lengths long is the standard large size for the trusses and if you can dock to that one, you can dock to pretty much all of them.

• 2 months later...

Can you do a better design for the crawler transporters? They're very hard to use in the Mun's gravity. To be specific, using motors on all six wheels when using them separately causes it to tip over. I tried using different motor combinations, but still they don't do any good. I believe it's due to the very wide body they have.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my crawlers to include upward facing RCS, more reaction wheels, added mass to the underside (flat RCS tanks), extended the platform with girders to space the wheels more, and even some lights. Overall, this lowered the CoM, which helps prevent tipping. Adding landing gear to the top surface facing to the rear can help flip an upturned crawler.

Can you do a better design for the crawler transporters? They're very hard to use in the Mun's gravity. To be specific, using motors on all six wheels when using them separately causes it to tip over. I tried using different motor combinations, but still they don't do any good. I believe it's due to the very wide body they have.