How to re-sit the main-part to the-Center-of-VAB.

It can be difficult to return it to it's original place, but if you hold shift while holding right mouse button and dragging, you can change the point at which the camera pans around. This way, even if you can't re-align it perfectly, you can center the camera on your ship.

If you don't have too many parts radially attached to main one: disconnect parts attached to it (don't delete, just disconnect; basically, it should be "everything above" and "everything below"), delete main part, then select it from parts tab again. New main part will be in the center. Reattach previously disconnected parts. To move it up/down while keeping it in the center, click it and scroll while holding shift.

Make your view horizontal and place it to about half the ship height. Look straight towards the door and Alt+drag the ship to the middle. Then look from the side and again Alt+drag the ship to the middle. It may not be perfect but it is usually good enough.

Make your view horizontal and place it to about half the ship height. Look straight towards the door and Alt+drag the ship to the middle. Then look from the side and again Alt+drag the ship to the middle. It may not be perfect but it is usually good enough.

I do this except I shift-click to grab the whole craft from any part. I use alt-click to duplicate a part.

I do this except I shift-click to grab the whole craft from any part. I use alt-click to duplicate a part.

Don't look at the door. Look at the floor!

On the floor of the VAB is a circle. This circle is the exact center and roughly the same size as the launch pad.

• 8 years later...

The question was asked and answered eight years ago, and presumably everyone involved in the conversation has long since moved on to other things. Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.

Thank you for your understanding.