Need help on airplane

Well, I finally crossed over from rockets and decided to work on an airplane. I'm not trying to get to orbit or anything, I just want to get off the ground. I read several tutorials, but all they really seem to talk about is CG and center of lift placement, or MOAR INTAKES!!!11!.

I'm just trying to get something basic off the ground. So far I can't even get off the runway. My plane gets up to about 80 m/s and just veers right and crashes. I thought it was something placed asymmetrically, so I pulled it all off and reattached. Same problem. Reworked my twin tails into a single tail design, and didn't change much else, but now it won't move forward more than about 1 m/s. Again, this is on a small 2-seater plane. Fuel is flowing, brakes are off, it's not using up all its intake air, but it just sits there. I thought it could be the type of intake I used, but it doesn't work with either style attached to the front of the engines (or with the scoops on top).

So, I took a couple pictures to see if anyone could point out if there's anything obvious where I'm going wrong on what should in theory be a simple, low part count, stock aircraft for 2 Kerbals.

Here it is at full thrust, engines roaring, but not moving (note the large plume behind):

afazTY0.png

Here are a couple shots from the SPH showing my control surfaces, CG, COL, and COT:

eiFTGc3.png

WuOlguA.png

rDvWcz5.png

Edited by UH60guy

The landing gear at the back. Straighten them to lessen the probability of a veer-right-and-kaboom situation.

Also, check your brakes. Your plane looks very well designed as far as I can see, and sometimes after turning off the brakes it'll take a while for the wheels to get "unstuck"

EDIT: If you didn't touch the brakes at all, I suggest removing the elevators at the back of the tail and make it a T-shaped tail, the fins might be blocking the engine thrust. I had the same problem in space when a decoupler glitched and got stuck to the back of the NERVA, which ended up producing no thrust at all whatsoever.

Anyway a T-shaped tail is kinda like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTijvS7-r7cFU1miNitxgeVFvD-xCieeHHR-8fKleeuGFB7I69a

Edited by T-Pilot395

Gotcha on the T-tail. I'll have to try that out when I get some time at lunch. I didn't even consider that it could be obstructing the exhaust. That might explain why the twin V-tails allowed for thrust, but the current version doesn't.

Off topic, but what's hurting the pride the most is that I'm a real life pilot and I can't even get a cartoon aircraft off the ground...

If you didn't touch the brakes at all, I suggest removing the elevators at the back of the tail and make it a T-shaped tail, the fins might be blocking the engine thrust. I had the same problem in space when a decoupler glitched and got stuck to the back of the NERVA, which ended up producing no thrust at all whatsoever.

Anyway a T-shaped tail is kinda like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTijvS7-r7cFU1miNitxgeVFvD-xCieeHHR-8fKleeuGFB7I69a

THIS.

Due to how engines and thrust work at the moment in ksp, engines are useless if they have a part in their way, it absorbs all thrust, It's like placing a jet engine on a sailboat to blow at your sail.

Back wheels are little to far back. If you move them closer to center of mass its going to be easier to lift the nose. Also they are attached to engine housings. These are flexing a little and that introduces toe in. What I mean is the wheels may point in or out instead of being parallel. To get rid of that effect get rid of the camber and put some struts between engine housings and main fuselage. May I also suggest replacing one of the fuel tanks with structural empty equivalent. Keep fuel at center of mass. You do not need that much gas anyway, and as you fly your center of mass is not going to shift.

Good looking plane. Little light on lift. I dont know what is your take on mods but I I cant recommend enough procedural wings. It changes a mess of stock parts slapped on top of each other into some good looking and making sense designs. It adds only handful of parts, so its not going to disorganize your editor.

Your plane kind of reminds my early approach

screenshot44_zpse590b9dc.png

screenshot50_zps381375bd.png

This one is VTOL or near to it. Easy to fly and safe to float at 20 m/s

Remember that aerodynamics in KSP don't work like actual aerodynamics. Might I suggest more lifting surfaces? Plus, putting the CoL behind the CoM on a non-hypersonic craft will keep you from getting off the ground. (As an aside, I have to wait for my hypersonic jets to fall off the cliff at the end of the runway and then pull up immediately to get them into the air.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.