Beyond our worlds: Space Engine screenshots gallery

SolarLiner

I finally got around to downloading Space Engine this morning, and... Wow. I started off in a binary system with two planets locked in geosynchronous barycentric orbit around one another, and each was inhabited by multicellular life. One was remarkably like earth, and the other -- pictured below -- was mostly desert with rings and dozens of asteroids around it. That image was taken from the poles so I could get a good shot of both suns, the aurora, and the rings. It's now found a home as my desktop background.

t21vKLr.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't know you could mark areas for return and clicked away, so I only have a few other pictures from that system. Here's one from the earth-like that was behind me in that image. Not quite so awe-inspiring, but neat nonetheless.

ndhwgQ5.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving this thread; Space Engine just started working for me today :D

The planet I spawned over had multicellular life...

2GL0kbZ.jpg

...and a 'Cool Selena' moon.

chv4qdI.jpg

dijyWEY.jpg

TqOAee2.jpg

I may just have to try a ship mod or two. I've seen the USS Enterprise somewhere :)

I, err... I have a lot more pictures, but I won't post every single one of them. Instead, the best of the latest!

I had a very random exploration session in which I went pretty far from my start point. These were some of the best shots I got along the way:

QOub7Y3.jpg

LE9AyTB.jpg

cPz8ASF.jpg

76sJtr8.jpg

Then I returned to my start planet, only to notice an aurora on the moon which is now named Erebus:

N7iaOTa.jpg

I then set about charting almost the entire starting system, and found a world that looked like Duna with purple rings (it actually orbited another cold desert with rings of the same colour). The planet is now called Athabasca:

loBcHeW.jpg

xpujtvm.jpg

sONhzZp.jpg

cmrAoE3.jpg

RNnXvwz.jpg

That concluded the charting of the system (a binary now called Phoenix). Next stop; Sol. But I won't post those pictures just yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This... This game is the reason I'm trying to get a better PC. It is beautiful. Everytime I fly through the stars I just imagine how many 'MOAR BOOSTERS' I'd need to get a capture this far out.

If I could mix two games it's be this and ksp. Imagine that!

I'll post my very best when I get home from the footy.

Cut of the crop from lately:

EEXCVMb.jpg

Saturn and one of its Shepard moons, the name of which I can't recall at the moment.

fkH7DjZ.jpg

Neptune's dark rings.

HLtv8LB.jpg

A small rocky moon of Neptune looking out over a thin blue crescent.

MFOm7KR.jpg

ALL THE BLUE!

Wtxk721.jpg

Cold, blue desert. Pretty.

o0Y3mQr.jpg

That star is practically screaming 'POWEERRRRR!"

cMtdJO1.jpg

p5lGB6y.jpg

I did find a very beautiful planet orbiting said star, though.

sbfgsUR.jpg

6NtwzrR.jpg

2erIdsU.jpg

Took a day trip to the LMC, then decided that I wanted to visit the galactic core of the Milky Way before I did any really exploration of our largest satellite galaxy.

pn1iMw3.jpg

Stunning green gas giant in a system very near to the core. Lots of star clusters were visible here.

1poBh23.jpg

gJoFvjP.jpg

qpRQHH6.jpg

I've been picking for temperate terras inside one of those star clusters. 'Cause that's where the funkiest skies are ;^)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

LOL this is so Laythe... x^D (orbiting a gas giant)

I also wanted a good planet from where there's a nice HUGE view of a galaxy.

This is also a temperate terra, near Andromeda:

61fF3l1.jpg

X4WAlNO.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
When it says "proceedurally generated", does that mean that certain parts are fundamentally random?

For example, if I load the map and find a little blue star some 300 LY from Earth. And around that star I find a little planet with water on it. And on that planet I find a cool crescent-shaped impact crater or something. Can I get the coordinates, send them to a friend, have him open up his Space Engine, and find the exact same crater? Or will his universe be generated differently?

Basically I'm wondering how the generated worlds "persists" or not.

No not random, the worlds are created using a mathematical formula rather than it being a pre-rendered, pre-textured object created in Maya or similar such program. Each world created retains its shape and properties and is rendered on the fly. The great thing is that texture maps, lighting, planets and their orbits, even entire galaxies can be created quickly and with little processing power through this method.

Google up "David Braben's TED talk" where he explains it in more detail, it's fascinating stuff

First off, let me just say that Space Engine has to be one of my favorite "games" ever. I've sunk countless hours into flying around the universe, landing on all the different planets and takings screenshots of all the crazy and unique scenes I've stumbled across. Heck, even after all this time and over 1000 screenshots, I'm STILL finding new things to gawk at!

Anyways, here are some of my latest Space Engine screenshots:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Staggering stuff. I think that's the engine for KSP 2 sorted. Looking forward to see what games use this engine.

Considering how much landscape rendering packages cost, it seems unreal that this, which renders a whole universe, is free.

Is it me or is this program heavy on the CPU, or better, a single thread of the CPU? I noticed performance was a bit choppy, so I turned the resolution way down. I still had less than ideal performance at higher speeds near planets. This normally means the CPU cannot keep up. I have a pretty steady ~28% load on the CPU, which is consistent with a single thread being loaded.

I have a fairly beefy processor, but I can imagine all the procedural stuff being hard on the thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.