[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

@Kickasskyle Do you plan to make fairings support the new .23.5 feature, where you can toggle showing mission flag on certain parts? Like This:

http://d1jqu7g1y74ds1.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_5761a_Atlas-V-SBIRS_Ken-Kremer.jpg

That would be cool, if you do.

Sorry, if someone has already asked.

I'll look into it, though I have no idea how on earth it works at the moment.

Remember there's also one additional balance point coming up in the not too distant future: vehicle cost.

I'd consider .23.5 to be a transitional period where Squad switches away from "all parts are equal in the sandbox" towards "continual progression". Come .24 with the economic aspects, and you suddenly have an incentive to not always use the best possible parts - because they will cost more. And after people run out of cash for the first time because they built something unnecessarily over-engineered and then screwed up their launch a few times because the staging is wrong or they forgot to hit T, they'll gain a heightened awareness for previously underutilized parts. Suddenly that other engine with 10% less Isp starts looking great if it only costs half as much.

As such, if mods require rebalancing, then I'd wait until .24 if I were the author. You'll likely have to go over every single part then anyway in order to calibrate prices against stock parts, and the update will probably come at most a month after the ARM mission. I'm fairly sure the somewhat arbitrary seeming price tags in the current stock game will change in many cases.

I was going to rough out the prices soonish, and then i'll tweak them when needed.

Dunno if this has been posted yet but I saw this in my KSP.log:

[LOG 01:58:25.716] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWExpandedFairingBase/part1m/KW1mExpandedFairingBase'
[LOG 01:58:25.719] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup activate
[ERR 01:58:25.721] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:58:25.727] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[LOG 01:58:25.728] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWExpandedFairingBase/part2m/KW2mExpandedFairingBase'
[LOG 01:58:25.731] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup activate
[ERR 01:58:25.734] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:58:25.738] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[LOG 01:58:25.739] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWExpandedFairingBase/part3m/KW3mExpandedFairingBase'
[LOG 01:58:25.742] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup activate
[ERR 01:58:25.744] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:58:25.749] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

I looked in the part.cfg and saw this:

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.217, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, activate
sound_vent_large = activate

Assuming this is for when you decouple something from the fairing base, looking at part.cfgs for the stock radial decouplers the KW part.cfgs should actually be

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.217, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_vent_large = decouple

(this is for both regular and expanded fairing bases)

Edited by Gaiiden

Dunno if this has been posted yet but I saw this in my KSP.log:

[LOG 01:58:25.716] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWExpandedFairingBase/part1m/KW1mExpandedFairingBase'
[LOG 01:58:25.719] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup activate
[ERR 01:58:25.721] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:58:25.727] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[LOG 01:58:25.728] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWExpandedFairingBase/part2m/KW2mExpandedFairingBase'
[LOG 01:58:25.731] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup activate
[ERR 01:58:25.734] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:58:25.738] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[LOG 01:58:25.739] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/FairingBases/KWExpandedFairingBase/part3m/KW3mExpandedFairingBase'
[LOG 01:58:25.742] Added sound_vent_large to FXGroup activate
[ERR 01:58:25.744] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
[ERR 01:58:25.749] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

I looked in the part.cfg and saw this:

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.217, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, activate
sound_vent_large = activate

Assuming this is for when you decouple something from the fairing base, looking at part.cfgs for the stock radial decouplers the KW part.cfgs should actually be

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.217, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_vent_large = decouple

(this is for both regular and expanded fairing bases)

I actually saw this when I was going through them last week, but thanks anyway!

Thankyou for this beautiful mod Kyle! I have deleted a lot of stock parts from the squad because your parts look way better!

Your mod has worked very well for me except for the side booster parts. I have attempted numerous times to use those parts on the first stage of various rockets and I have only been successful with them once. They have a very bad tendency to fall off my rocket, sometimes immediately on the launch pad, sometimes halfway through my first stage burn. The only time I have been successful using them was one rocket where I directly attached the 2.5m side boosters to a 3.5m tank and used about 12 stuts between each booster and the tank. I've tried all sorts of decouplers, both stock and modded, and srutting patterns and have had very little luck with them. I LOVE how they look and would love to use them more... Any ideas to help me out?? What decouplers do you recommend for them?

I use a ton of mods, including the latest joint re-enforcement, DRE and FAR.

I would also like to second the request from the previous page of this thread for a 2.5m engine with a 1000kn thrust range!

Thankyou for this beautiful mod Kyle! I have deleted a lot of stock parts from the squad because your parts look way better!

Your mod has worked very well for me except for the side booster parts. I have attempted numerous times to use those parts on the first stage of various rockets and I have only been successful with them once. They have a very bad tendency to fall off my rocket, sometimes immediately on the launch pad, sometimes halfway through my first stage burn. The only time I have been successful using them was one rocket where I directly attached the 2.5m side boosters to a 3.5m tank and used about 12 stuts between each booster and the tank. I've tried all sorts of decouplers, both stock and modded, and srutting patterns and have had very little luck with them. I LOVE how they look and would love to use them more... Any ideas to help me out?? What decouplers do you recommend for them?

I use a ton of mods, including the latest joint re-enforcement, DRE and FAR.

I would also like to second the request from the previous page of this thread for a 2.5m engine with a 1000kn thrust range!

I generally use decouplers to their function/profile rather than their structural soundness. I think you might be getting caught out by the initial loading of the rocket structure the first few seconds after creation. Strut wise for the big srbs I usually use 3 heavy struts, top middle bottom (all inline with the decoupler). The key to getting past the initial loading of the structure is a casual application of launch clamps imo.

7QtqR.jpg

I generally use decouplers to their function/profile rather than their structural soundness. I think you might be getting caught out by the initial loading of the rocket structure the first few seconds after creation. Strut wise for the big srbs I usually use 3 heavy struts, top middle bottom (all inline with the decoupler). The key to getting past the initial loading of the structure is a casual application of launch clamps imo.

http://puu.sh/7QtqR.jpg

I don't have a problem with the SRBs, I only have an issue with the ST-25 and ST-37 side mounted tanks. Sorry I wasn't being clear. I have had them fall off on the immediatly after creation in addition to 30-45 seconds after I launch. This happens even is I use stack decouplers on top of fuel tanks beneath my first stage in place of launch clamps. I will try using KJR 1.7, I think that is what is causing my issue.

Another part I think could be useful to add to this mod is a long radial decoupler with a lot of surface area, like the one in the NovaPunch pack.

Edited by Rabada

I was wondering if it was possible to have an alternate texture for your ST-25 and ST-37 tanks, l really like the white/black texture and logo of your original tanks and think these would look awesome in those colours if its not do able or to much effort I understand

Thanks,

VG

So I was trying out some configs to get CoolRockets to work with KW stuff and it started throwing NRE's at the 2-1 adapter. Only mods installed are CoolRockets and KW (removed all parts that aren't structural, engine, fuel tanks). Any guesses as to this? I could try on my main install if that'd help.

beGda0e.png

Also, was wondering if I could get some help with the cryo effects for the twin-nozzled engines. They're a real pain to line up with the nozzles and I haven't even attempted the exhausts yet. Fuel tanks are nearly done though, but I've no idea how to get the effects on the side tanks or LFO adapters. Anyone want to help?

I was wondering if it was possible to have an alternate texture for your ST-25 and ST-37 tanks, l really like the white/black texture and logo of your original tanks and think these would look awesome in those colours if its not do able or to much effort I understand

Thanks,

VG

I'll have a look at it at some point, but I'm sort of busy texturing ~other things~.

No, it's not dual at all. It's a size2 docking port with a large model.

At the time of release 4 or so months go there wasn't really anything like that. It's not right really, so I might change the description. The only way to make it dual at that time (besides super fancy plugin stuff) basically makes it unable to dock to itself reliably and by extension useless. The jist at the time was no one would be insane enough to make a purely 3m docking ring so It was a ~safe~ way of making it.

kickasskyle, could you upload it to Mediafire or Dropbox, I can't download it.

I'm assuming both the MEGA and Spaceport downloads don't work for you? I'll pack zip up a version and upload it in a abit.

Edited by Kickasskyle
every instance of K was replaced by *, for some reason.

At the time of release 4 or so months go there wasn't really anything like that. It's not right really, so I might change the description. The only way to make it dual at that time (besides super fancy plugin stuff) basically makes it unable to dock to itself reliably and by extension useless. The jist at the time was no one would be insane enough to make a purely 3m docking ring so It was a ~safe~ way of making it.

Yep, I've noticed that problem with my multiple docking ports. Can I suggest you simply change it to a single size3? I've made my XL universal docking port to fit yours and right now there's no other mod that uses size3 dockingNodes. You might as well since it'll be useful now that ARM is out.

Yep, I've noticed that problem with my multiple docking ports. Can I suggest you simply change it to a single size3? I've made my XL universal docking port to fit yours and right now there's no other mod that uses size3 dockingNodes. You might as well since it'll be useful now that ARM is out.

I might, but I'm juggling lots of stuff at the moment.

Hey Kyle, if you need someone to test those ~other things~ i will happliy volunteer to break it ;)

Oh you.

Here's that mediafire download, I'm 99% sure it's the release version as I picked it out from my release folder (and it's name).

http://www./download/hxt2kfpctmcmt56/KW_Release_Package_v2.5.6B.zip

Just a word on new things.

The new ARM stuff has dicked up the balance in the 3m range, I've been comparing thrust to weight ratio's, ISPs and various stats from the new 3m engines. Basically the way they're balanced means they are 'straight upgrades'/OP/'fall asleep and wake up in orbit with fuel to spare'. Along that line we probably won't be making a massive shift in terms of altering our current line of 3m stuff to align with the new stock parts, I might twist a few of the masses abit but it won't be doing anything earth shattering. It's a shame because the wobble was really the only thing stopping them from progressing the bigger parts. Now they've fixed that, they just managed to make it so as the game progresses and it gets alot easier(a weird direction to say the least).

I just remembered I haven't checked to see if there have been any changes to the previously existing stuff, I'll have a look tomorrow and check at some point.

yes me...

also For making a radial 1m black tank... it would just be config edits to reduce scale, mass and amounts of fuel right?

Pretty much.

Is this mod working with the 23.5 update?

edit: Awesome mod btw. Thanks.

Seemed to work when I tried it.

Do the 3.75 meter tanks/parts here match the size of the new SLS "extra large" parts in .23.5? I have not re-installed KW post-update yet because of compatibility chaos, just checking first.

First forum post, btw. \o/

Anyonme noticed if bih kw rocket parts also benefit from new joint system? Or woobble like before?

7Tp8C.jpg

7Tpdj.jpg

All signs point towards yes.

A word of warning though, due to how radial joints are handled they like to bow inwards/outwards so if you want might want to add some struts to stop that.

Do the 3.75 meter tanks/parts here match the size of the new SLS "extra large" parts in .23.5? I have not re-installed KW post-update yet because of compatibility chaos, just checking first.

First forum post, btw. \o/

Yes.

Edited by Kickasskyle