[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

How does the KW pack fair against the new parts?

I had a quick tryout but I found the new parts lacking when compared to the KW parts. New engines aren't as powerful, the liquid fuel tanks do have extra fuel but the extra tonnage makes the KW tanks to be the smarter choice. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

The new engines are designed after more recent works of NASA and supposed to be stronger than the usual KSP-Engines. The difference itself is balanced through the tech tree. NASA-Tanks aren't special, they only weight around 2.5% (5%) more.

I'm curious if the KW-Rocketry-Approach to big engines remains the same. Atm they are pretty much outclassed by the update. Then again, the new 2.5 engines also outdo everything else in their size, with engines weighting around ~2.5 tons. Less flexible, though.

edit: Seems i misread your post. Just look at the difference in weight and ISP. You may need shorter stages, but the advantage is massive.

Edited by Temeter

Well yeah, they are certainly less powerfull, so they wont be able to lift the same weight. But otherwise they are much more efficient.

Look at the Titan-F1 (the KW middleclass 3.5m engine) and the KS25-Engine Cluster (biggest NASA-Engine). While the KW-Model delivers a minimal advantage on the thrust/weight-ratio, its ISP is 275 in atmosphere and otherwise 315. Compared to these numbers, the KS25 even beats some of the 2.5m engines with 320/360 ISP. And thats an early stage lifter, after that you'll get a weaker 3.5m-engine with a vakuum-ISP of 380. Not to forget its absurd thrust of 2500 units for only 6.5 tons, so two of them have more thrust than the Griffon-XX, less weight than the Titan-F1, and an ISP you'd usually expect from weak high-efficiency-engines.

To be fair I've not sat down and had an extensive test, I'm going to go through them properly on the rocket I built with this mod. I've built an Apollo style rocket using the KW pack which works really well and can reach both of Kerbin's moons and can send a small probe to Duna (a very small probe). I swapped the griffon XX with the most powerful engine from the new nasa set and it just didn't seem to give the same performance, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

If you need some rebalacing anyways I could whip up a module manager config that adds a few hundret ISP and removes the 1m and 2m from the editor.

On a more serious note, the new parts are rather those that need some serious rebalancing.

How about reading the previous pages? As it happnes to be Kickasskyle just posted exactly 1 page previous...

Really? I read back prior to posts dating beyond 1. april. Must have missed it >.<

Engine fairing stopped appearing after last patch when adding decoupler below engine. Can anyone confirm?

Never mind; folder with shrouds has gone missing somehow. Strange anyway.

Edited by Mystique

Hello, I love this mod btw but as of the 23.5 update none of my lifters work anymore, they all bob and weave themselves to death. I use the Kerbal joint reinforcement system and the mod author of that one claims his is up to date and stock parts do seem to work as intended with that mod I was wondering if this one had actually been updated for 23.5 or if I've broken something haha.

Hello, I love this mod btw but as of the 23.5 update none of my lifters work anymore, they all bob and weave themselves to death. I use the Kerbal joint reinforcement system and the mod author of that one claims his is up to date and stock parts do seem to work as intended with that mod I was wondering if this one had actually been updated for 23.5 or if I've broken something haha.

Did you install the newest version of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? Using an old version may cause horrible bugs.

Some of the joints of KW rocketry need to be reworked to comply with proper node sizes which would make all joints more rigid.

As of now most mod authors did not use properly sized nodes because there was no need for it and they were not related to how rigid they are.

So we will have to wait until all part mods are redone to comply with the new standards.

There is a problem with some mod parts - wrong size of attachment nodes and too small weight - which makes them extra-wobbly. KW, by the way, got its nodes right - and actually benefits from new joint system in 0.23.5. Read last pages of KJR topic - there is an instruction on how to turn all the options back on. Also, try to put coule of heavy struts between wobblying parts - with KJR, that will eliminate wobblying in almost all cases.

There is a problem with some mod parts - wrong size of attachment nodes and too small weight - which makes them extra-wobbly. KW, by the way, got its nodes right - and actually benefits from new joint system in 0.23.5. Read last pages of KJR topic - there is an instruction on how to turn all the options back on. Also, try to put coule of heavy struts between wobblying parts - with KJR, that will eliminate wobblying in almost all cases.

All the top/bottom stacks are fine, I did run through and check and I think some of the radial attach nodes could be causing some issues. Doing what Biohazard said would fix the issues for now, at least until and can mess around and upload a fix sometime soon.

All the top/bottom stacks are fine, I did run through and check and I think some of the radial attach nodes could be causing some issues. Doing what Biohazard said would fix the issues for now, at least until and can mess around and upload a fix sometime soon.

Okay, thank you!

So I noticed something... I think a tech tree rebalance is needed because as it stands, the stock 3m parts are unlocked in the node before the KW ones. I think in the nest update, include a MM config that either pushes the stock ones out, or brings the KW ones in.

Or both. The stock ones are OP relative to the KW ones, so it would make sense to unlock them later.

Always comply with stock, not vice versa. This gives a balance with all mods a user might be playing with. And yes, it does need rebalance. It has needed a rebalance for a long time.

There is a point where it gives you the smallest 3m tank before you have any engines for it, despite the fact that all other unlocks include the lowest thrust engine + tank of a given size.

Always comply with stock, not vice versa. This gives a balance with all mods a user might be playing with. And yes, it does need rebalance. It has needed a rebalance for a long time.

There is a point where it gives you the smallest 3m tank before you have any engines for it, despite the fact that all other unlocks include the lowest thrust engine + tank of a given size.

I disagree, and so does a lot of other people on this forum, and Kyle too if you read a few pages back. Many people, including I, think that the new stock parts are way overpowered, especially since there's nothing to balance them out against the old parts - as it stands, even in career mode, the Mainsail is obsolete.