[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

In my presonal headcanon (and private config tweaks :P) I've always instinctively flavored the KW engines as staged combustion and the stock KSP engines as gas generator types. It opens up a believable progression, though it requires tweaking the tech tree assignment a bit.

No, it wouldn't. And it would only have exhaust once the engine started. It would have smoke then though.

You're most welcome!

Check out a video of the Merlin in action--you can see the turbopump exhaust there.

Ahh I see. Will check out a video later. Thanks again, much appreciated! :D

Is there any chance of getting a better exhaust effect for the 2.5m service module engine? The one on it right now is just a 2D plane that clips through the engine bell at full throttle. In fact I think it's been that way since they introduced docking. :/

I changed my cfg.

I replaced the fx_exhaustFlame_small (I think...I've removed the line) with fx_exhaustFlame_blue.

Gotcha. I think there's what looks like cryogenic exhaust pipes on another couple of engines though (Wildcat V and XR and the Titan T1)... am I right? I don't want to waste time making nice smoke come out of the wrong place :P

And because I haven't said it yet, I think it's so cool so much thought has obviously been put into making each detail the best it can be. It makes the whole package so much better.. my gratitude to Kyle and Winston for such an awesome mod :)

Is it possible to add 3.75m versions of the TRV-400L-Quad-Adapter style parts?

I've edited the 2.5m part's cfg file to create a 3.75m to 7x 1.25m adapter, but I lack both the know-how and artistic skill to create a new model for it.

[noparse]

PART {

// --- general parameters ---

name = adapterHugeSmallSeptet

module = Part

author = Necessity

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = 0.666666666667

rescaleFactor = 1.5

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_bottom01 = 1.275, -1.125, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom02 = 0.638, -1.125, 1.104, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom03 = -0.638, -1.125, 1.104, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom04 = -1.275, -1.125, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom05 = -0.638, -1.125, -1.104, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom06 = 0.638, -1.125, -1.104, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_bottom07 = 0, -1.125, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = veryHeavyRocketry

entryCost = 8800

cost = 2600

category = 2

subcategory = 0

title = TVR-700H Stack Septet-Adapter

manufacturer = O.M.B. Demolition Enterprises

description = After realizing 'larger circles' wasn't a very patentable concept, O.M.B. Enterprises rolled out a new line of ingenious multi-connector adapters to fit Rockomax sized parts. Lawsuit still pending. Converts a single 3.75m stack into seven 1.25m stacks.

allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

stackSymmetry = 4 //for stock, 6 for mods that have 5x and 7x symmetry

mass = 0.3

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.3

minimum_drag = 0.3

angularDrag = 3

crashTolerance = 12

maxTemp = 3400

fuelCrossFeed = True

NoCrossFeedNodeKey = bottom

}

[/noparse]

There are some fuel tanks (like the stock ones) that have ridges, and if you try to place a battery flush against the tank it stands off a bit from the surface (because the ridge pushes out the attach point all along the tank). Using this attachment config to hook up those batteries will fix it. Comment it out if you want to place batteries on anything else otherwise you will probably get some clipping. Once the batteries are placed this code doesn't need to be active - but if you move them they will snap back to the original stand-off placing without this code active.

@PART[KWRadBattSmall*]:Final
{
@node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -0.05, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0
}

Your installation should be in KSP/GameData/KWRocketry. If your installation is in KSP/GameData/GameData/KWRocketry, or in ANY other way, you'll lose all parts except tanks and SRBs. Don't fudge the installation.

C:\Games\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KWRocketry\Parts

still don't get the engines or most of the tanks.

Inside my fairings, it appears the payload is still being affected by air flow and is causing a fair bit of drag. Is this intended? (I have FAR installed if that helps >.> )

Sure it's not your actual fairings creating the drag? Could you post a screenshot of the right click menu on one of the supposed-to-be-shielded parts please? I'm not sure what could be going wrong, because I've used KW and FAR together extensively with no ill effects.

I have experienced some problems with the 3M fairings. Basically it seems like the fairing sides are not flexed, and they are sliding ever so little apart now and then. I thought it my be the stuff inside oscillating into fairings, but on closer inspection this is not the case. It looks weird, but as for what drag effect it has I can't speak to.

Edited by Sokar408

Sure it's not your actual fairings creating the drag? Could you post a screenshot of the right click menu on one of the supposed-to-be-shielded parts please? I'm not sure what could be going wrong, because I've used KW and FAR together extensively with no ill effects.

The fairing is causing some drag, but the payload more. http://imgur.com/a/BpVvA This is what I am told.

Should I re-install FAR or something?

Does this work for 23.5?

Absolutely it does! :D

The fairing is causing some drag, but the payload more. http://imgur.com/a/BpVvA This is what I am told.

Should I re-install FAR or something?

Well that shouldn't be happening.. I reckon yes, a reinstall of FAR and also ask ferram if he knows what could be doing that.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I encountered a graphical glitch today, after reverting back to launch the 3.75m expanded fairing base suddenly looks like the 2.5m one. If reverting back to VAB and then launching, everything is normal again:

Known bug with how the part models are scaled for reuse. It's fixable but requires editing/patching the cfg file to redo the scaling.