[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Would it be possible to make it so boosters/engines still produce a subtle exhaust effect even after there out of fuel?

This!

I wondered this as well after watching this (@0:40): http://youtu.be/_9JxSrwlTA4

Also, engines meant for usage in vacuum should not have exhaust effects at all, like flames etc.

When you look at footage from real launches, there's mostly nothing to see at all.

Spcae X example:

Edited by Sunshine

I bet not having backwards compatibility on the SPS upset a few people.

Considering KSPs new PartModule loader code breaks old crafts any time you add a mod that changes a part module (like TweakableEverything, TweakScale, DecoupleForx64 etc), old ships are useless for me anyway. My only complaint would be the STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW of monoprop, meaning I have to remember to refuel my lander before I undock. Nothing major though.

That's what I've started doing in the meantime. I just wish I could set this in the VAB since I always seem to forget at the pad or while on-orbit. :)

No it's not possible. The resource is defined for all parts in one place and the behavior can't be changed for a single part. The definition is in KSP/GameData/Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric.cfg. What's causing the behavior you describe is "flowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW". It means that it will prioritize the fuel on stage, but after that runs out it'll take the rest. As far as I know this definition also means that it will pass through decouplers and other parts that have "fuelCrossFeed = False". So there's nothing they can do to change it, except a modulemanager-config that changes the resource (if that's possible), but that would of course change it for all parts. And you do want normal RCS to draw the MonoPropellant this way after all. The stock monoprop engine behaves the same way of course.

What might be an option is to have a look at tweakable everything. It might let you set that property in the VAB/SPH, but I never actually used it so I can't tell you :)

No it's not possible. The resource is defined for all parts in one place and the behavior can't be changed for a single part. The definition is in KSP/GameData/Squad/Resources/ResourcesGeneric.cfg. What's causing the behavior you describe is "flowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW". It means that it will prioritize the fuel on stage, but after that runs out it'll take the rest. As far as I know this definition also means that it will pass through decouplers and other parts that have "fuelCrossFeed = False". So there's nothing they can do to change it, except a modulemanager-config that changes the resource (if that's possible), but that would of course change it for all parts. And you do want normal RCS to draw the MonoPropellant this way after all. The stock monoprop engine behaves the same way of course.

What might be an option is to have a look at tweakable everything. It might let you set that property in the VAB/SPH, but I never actually used it so I can't tell you :)

I believe that changed in .24, I haven't checked for sure, but I did read in #kspmodders that you can now specify the flow mode in the PROPELLANT{} section of the part.

Since Squad has changed/rebalanced their 2.5m engines significantly with 0.24, I wanted to ask if you guys had already taken a look at the balance of the pack in regards to these changes. I'll just draw some comparisons, to point out the newly arisen issues. Basically, all stock engines were brought closer together in terms of ISP, upping this significantly for 2.5m and 3.75m models. This was needed, as some engines basically had no use cases. Now they all do (though they have arguable overdone it a little).

new "Poodle": 220 mn, ISP: 270-390, 2.5°, 2t

new "Skipper": 650 mn, ISP: 320-370, 1°, 3t

new "Mainsail": 1500mn , ISP: 320-360, 1°, 6t

[3.75m]: KR-2L: 2500, ISP: 280-380, 1°, 6.5t

[3.75m]: S3 KS-25x4: 3200, ISP: 320-360, 1°, 9.75t

And for easy comparison, the stats of the same-sized KW engines:

Hypergolic: 200 mn, ISP: 240-410, 1°, 2t (MONOPROPELLANT!)

Vesta VR-9D: 600 mn, ISP: 310-380, 1.5°, 5t

Maverick-V: 1400 mn, ISP: 285-335, 1°, 6t

Griffon-G8D: 1900, ISP: 280-325, 0.5°, 8t

In any case, thank you very much for your hard work on this, I really do love the pack (and should you decide to not change the balance I'll probably just ditch stock parts entirely).

I spent a good deal of time looking at these numbers and trying to fathom what Squad are up to, and what I can do try and bring KW in line with their 'balance'.

I think they've finally taken it to a point where I don't want to follow what they've done, they just seem to be homogenising the ISP's across all the engines and basically just making engines iterations of the last with a different thrust to weight ratios and maybe a few that are designed to be 'upper stage engines' but generally speaking only get about 20-30 more vISP anyway. From what I saw 6/9 of the stock rocket engines share the same 320/360 or 320/370 values for isp/visp.

If we tried to bring KW in line with these changes we'd end up killing the uniqueness of a lot of the engines and render 75% of them redundant due to being supplanted by the next engine up. In my opinion this is a terrible way to balance the progression and just basically shoves people into using the same 2 engines.

This isn't even highlighting that the isp changes they've instituted basically make the game hilariously easy to do anything with. I think that's about as much as I can go into this without repeating myself, I might take a look at some internal balancing but I think it might just be getting too much of a mess to follow squads 'balance'.

I hope this clears something up at least.

I believe that changed in .24, I haven't checked for sure, but I did read in #kspmodders that you can now specify the flow mode in the PROPELLANT{} section of the part.

Indeed you can. The stock Verner engine has the following:

PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
}

It uses Liquid Fuel and oxidiser using the same method used by monoprop. That said, it is the only example and it's for ModuleRCS - I don't know if it would work with ModuleEngine*. But, if it does, adding "resourceFlowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH" to the SPS ModuleEngine* section would possibly make it use monoprop using the same method for fuel+oxy (taking into account my previous sentence).

EDIT: teehee, I'm sandwiched between two of the modders I'm most in awe of.. I feel special :D

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Going to try this now and if it works it'll be in 2.6c which we'll be uploading in a bit with some other fixes.

EDIT

Just tried this and KSP failed to load 90% of all parts (100% of stock ones).

Guess that doesn't work.

Edited by Winston

OMG just realized that the new 5m engine is having somekind of delay module. If I cut the engine with key "X" it just slows down slowly, Kickasstyle, Winston you cheaters :D

Going to try this now and if it works it'll be in 2.6c which we'll be uploading in a bit with some other fixes.

EDIT

Just tried this and ksp failed to load 90% of all parts (100% of stock ones)

Guess that doesn't work.

That doesn't make sense, it shouldn't cause problems with the other parts if you mess up one. Tried using the Verner engine as example? see ObsessedWithKSP's post above.

That doesn't make sense, it shouldn't cause problems with the other parts if you mess up one. Tried using the Verner engine as example? see ObsessedWithKSP's post above.

Well that's what happened, I deleted the line and that fixed it.

edit, Kyle just tried it and it seems to work, something must have been borked on my end.

Edited by Winston

That and you don't get the mini fuel gauge on the staging bar, tab, totem, whateveryoucallit...

DrawGauge = true is what you're after.

In short then, Kyle and Winston, you need to add the bolded text to the SPS cfg:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
thrustVectorTransformName = NozzleTransform
engineID = KWSPSLE
runningEffectName = running_closed
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 200
heatProduction = 460
PROPELLANT
{
name = MonoPropellant
ratio = 0.9
[B]DrawGauge = True
resourceFlowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH[/B]
}

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

DrawGauge = true is what you're after.

In short then, Kyle and Winston, you need to add the following to the SPS cfg in its ModuleEngine*/PROPELLANT section:

DrawGauge = True
resourceFlowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH

Yeah we're on it, cheers for the help

Any fix for the camera whooping away problem many are experiencing, or is it because of Squad's new PartModule loading code and we have to wait for an official patch?

If I cannot load old crafts then 0.24 is not very attractive. :-/

I like that the new SPS uses monoprop, but would it not be best adding a new engine with this in case people want it with regular fuel?

I'm not using Steam; I have a desktop shortcut directly to KSP-x64.exe. Also while I haven't repeated the whole battery of tests with the 32-bit, I did notice similar crashes earlier today with both versions.

And yes, there isn't an output log. I have about 28394952 output logs that all say the same thing: KSP_x64.exe caused an Access Violation.

Anyway, my investigation has continued and I've (I think) narrowed it down further: Something is up with the Wildcat XR and Titan I 3-meter engines. KW seems to work fine, even alongside NASAMission, without these two, but crashes when they are present, especially when I try to spawn one of them.

More data (the investigation is ongoing):

- All KW except engines:

okay

- All KW except 5m engines:

CRASH (delayed, on attempt to spawn stock parts after spawning KW parts)

- All KW except 3m engines:

okay

- All KW except Griffon XX:

CRASH (delayed, after spawning stock parts after spawning KW parts)

- All KW except Titan I:

CRASH (on attempt to spawn stock parts after spawning KW parts)

- All KW except Wildcat XR:

CRASH (you get the idea here)

- Griffon XX alone: okay

- Titan I alone: CRASH immediately on spawning Titan I

- Wildcat XR alone: CRASH on attempt to spawn a second Wildcat XR

EDIT:

I've caught it! The bug is in the .mu files for both the Titan I and Wildcat XR 3-meter engines. KSP was stable (cough) when I replaced these models with some copied from other engines, but crashed when I used either of the original models, even if I replaced or removed the .mbm and other texture files.

I'm going to try using Blender and PartTools to recompile the models and see if I can fix it.

Edit again: nope, I couldn't fix it. Unity got all fussy about animations and despite my best efforts KSP still crashed when I used the intended model. You guys at KW must be wizards.

Have not experienced one bit of this, care to actually share your logs? If the .mu was THAT bugged, then EVERYBODY would be having this problem.

We just updated to 2.6c with the following tweaks, but for the time being the Curse download will be out of date as the file is awaiting approval. All good to go.

Changelog:

Updated to v2.6c

-Minor bugfixing update.

-Fixed SPS engine drawing fuel from all monopropellant sources at once.

-Corrected errors related to decouple sounds.

-Corrected errors related to 3m fuel tank cost.

-Corrected model linking errors.

-Fixed several small node errors causing minor gaps.

-Altered scaling system to cure scaling issues.

-Discovered and removed a few redundant files.

Edited by Winston

I like that the new SPS uses monoprop, but would it not be best adding a new engine with this in case people want it with regular fuel?

That actually caught me by surprise. My Mun station became a Kerbin station as a result~

I think it's neat, but I definitely would love that engine, AND an LF/O one in a similar size/performance range available at the same time :)

I think it's neat, but I definitely would love that engine, AND an LF/O one in a similar size/performance range available at the same time :)

I think the LF/O equivalent is the Poodle now since Squad buffed it in .24, you can still edit the .cfg and make the SPS use LF/O though.

The interstage fairing adapters no longer decouple if the part they are shrouding is not the same size as the adapter. I used to use the 2.5 interstage for the LV-N on the 2.5 tanks, but because it is slightly shorter the interstage fairing no longer decouples properly.

Hi everyone! First time ever posting on KSP forums so excuse any bad things i could do (like my bad english!) XD

I got a little something here, a bug maybe.

I just cant get those shrouds to work on any KW engine, i installed correctly, didnt install the extra that remove it. I run 64bit KSP and those mods...

Procedural Fairings

RealChutes

VOID

Tweakable Everything

RCS build aid

Chatterer

NEAR (Ferram)

Final Frontier

Deadly Reentry

Kethane

Select Root

Station Science + Orbital Science

TAC Life Support

Remote Tech 2(wich could be out-dated?)

Crew Manifest

I hope this is enough info, i did look into the part config and i can see the line code for the shroud (but dont think i understand anything in that! XD)

Thank you for your time! :)

Huh, I think I've caught a bug. The Thor II-L SRB does not appear to be taking thrust limiter settings. As a test, I set it to 0, and, as you can see, it's quite spry for an engine that's set to be effectively immobile. The problem appears to be present in all the KW SRBs, while the stock ones appear to be taking thrust limiter settings correctly.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/72373744805456728/EAC41566005B17F11509404B4FF1061F37B9FFCE/

That % is the tweakable thrust %.

At 0% Tweakable thrust it's at the minimum thrust value, which is more or less 50% of the maximum thrust value.

eg.

79b0c1d93c.png