[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Don't know if it's a problem with KSP or the KW parts, but the .24.2 update makes the flags that are placed on KW fuel tanks display through the tanks, as if the tanks were invisible.

I already had that with 0.24.0 and .1, but never could reproduce it reliably. Even with the same parts on the same ship, it just wouldn't happen again for some reason. But yes, I've also seen this, but no clue what's causing it. My guess is that it's a stock bug, as it only happens occasionally

I'm having problems with this version of KW Rocketry as it won't let me load old crafts (from 0.23.5) that are in flight. I have updated all my mods to their newest version with the exception of KW Rocketry from 2.5.6b to 2.6c. Once I upgrade to KW Rocketry 2.6c, the the game hangs and I only get a frame every 1 minute or so when loading these crafts. I searched for differences in the logs for when loading the crafts with 2.5.6b and 2.6c and I noticed these two messages that were new and caused exceptions (I've highlighted what I think is wrong):

[WRN 16:51:01.184] PartModule is null.
[WRN 16:51:01.191] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW2mengineSPS, index 0.
[COLOR=#ff0000]Node 'ModuleEngines' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleEnginesFX' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleEngines in other indices...
[ERR 16:51:01.191] ...no ModuleEngines module found on part definition. Skipping...[/COLOR]
[WRN 16:51:01.192] PartModule is null.
[WRN 16:51:01.192] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW2mengineSPS, index 0.
Node 'ModuleGimbal' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleEnginesFX' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleGimbal in other indices...
[WRN 16:51:01.193] ...ModuleGimbal module found at index 1.
[WRN 16:51:01.193] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW2mengineSPS, index 1.
Node 'ModuleAnimateHeat' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleGimbal' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleAnimateHeat in other indices...
[WRN 16:51:01.194] ...ModuleAnimateHeat module found at index 2.
[WRN 16:51:01.194] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW2mengineSPS, index 2.
Node 'ModuleAlternator' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleAnimateHeat' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleAlternator in other indices...
[WRN 16:51:01.195] ...ModuleAlternator module found at index 3.
[WRN 16:51:01.195] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW2mengineSPS, index 3.
Node 'ModuleJettison' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleAlternator' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleJettison in other indices...
[WRN 16:51:01.196] ...ModuleJettison module found at index 4.
[WRN 16:51:01.196] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW2mengineSPS, index 4.
Node 'ModuleAeroReentry' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleJettison' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleAeroReentry in other indices...
[ERR 16:51:01.197] ...no ModuleAeroReentry module found on part definition. Skipping...
[WRN 16:51:01.198] PartModule is null.
[EXC 16:51:01.198] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
[EXC 16:51:01.200] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[WRN 16:51:01.225] [PartJoint]: None of the provided nodes was valid!

<The above repeats (together with other craft-loading messages) until I quit the game. It seems like KSP re-attempts to load the craft when it hits these exceptions and is what is causing the lag. It repeated 29 times for me in the log until I quit the game.>

[WRN 16:50:59.225] PartModule is null.
[WRN 16:50:59.232] [Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KW1mengineVestaVR1, index 0.
Node 'ModuleEngines' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleEnginesFX' is defined in prefab.
Looking for ModuleEngines in other indices...
[ERR 16:50:59.233] ...no ModuleEngines module found on part definition. Skipping...

Is there any issues with the sudden change of the SPS to use monoprop? I'm gonna replace that particular engine with the 2.5.6b one and see if that helps.

Also the KW1mengineVestaVR1 seems to log the same thing, but this one does not produce an exception.

I hope this is fixable as it is the only thing keeping me from playing 0.24.2 at the moment. :/

Other than this, I love the mod! Good work! :)

Edit:

I replaced the folders 2mSPS and 1mVestaVR1 with the ones from 2.5.6b and that fixed all problems for me. It's probably like this for all KW Rocketry engines then since I only had those two on the craft I wanted to load.

Is there any way this can be fixed by you, or is there no way you can make the new version backwards compatible? If not, is there a workaround? Parhaps I can edit my save to make it use configs from the new version?

Edited by LostOblivion

LostOblivion, let me get this right...you want to use your previous 0.23.5 save in 0.24.2 with old craft to boot??? Not going to reliably happen, and KW won't support that as the SPS engine is now fueled with MonoPropellant. KW is now using ModuleEnginesFX...SO MANY CHANGES all the way around...tough...gonna have to restart all over.

This isn't a bug, this you have too wild imagination to believe you can simply 'upgrade' and keep playing what you have already done.

Edited by RedAV8R

LostOblivion, let me get this right...you want to use your previous 0.23.5 save in 0.24.2 with old craft to boot??? Not going to reliably happen, and KW won't support that as the SPS engine is now fueled with MonoPropellant. KW is now using ModuleEnginesFX...SO MANY CHANGES all the way around...tough...gonna have to restart all over.

This isn't a bug, this you have too wild imagination to believe you can simply 'upgrade' and keep playing what you have already done.

First of all, personal attacks like that does not belong on a forum.

Not saying it's a bug, I'm kindly asking if there is a workaround. This is the only mod so far that hasn't worked with my save, but yes, maybe I've been lucky so far. It's not "wild imagination" to be wanting to continue playing with what you spent hours making, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not gonna restart KSP every time there is an update...

My point is that I am willing to fiddle with my save if that's what it takes, and if I understand correctly all I have to do is update the partmodules in my persistance file.

I'm still wondering about the 5m Titan V...the description calls it an upperstage engine but there is no fairing for it...just wondering if im mossing something...

Did you install the NoAutoShroudConfigs extra? If so, there is an actual part for it that you can attach manually.

If you didn't and you just installed the basic version then some mod must be conflicting or you're doing something wrong because it has an automatic fairing.

I'm still wondering about the 5m Titan V...the description calls it an upperstage engine but there is no fairing for it...just wondering if im mossing something...

It has no autoshroud since it's based on Saturn V second stage. There should be a separate interstage shroud part for it, which you could also attach ullage motors to. This is to allow Saturn V-style dual-plane separation.

It has no autoshroud since it's based on Saturn V second stage. There should be a separate interstage shroud part for it, which you could also attach ullage motors to. This is to allow Saturn V-style dual-plane separation.

there is an autoshroud.

Has anyone else noticed the broken particle effects on KW engines? Any idea whats causing it?

By broken you mean that they're on all the time or are perpindicular to the engine? It's a conflict with Hot Rockets. Delete the KW cfg from Hot Rockets.

By broken you mean that they're on all the time or are perpindicular to the engine? It's a conflict with Hot Rockets. Delete the KW cfg from Hot Rockets.

No, by broken, I mean broken. As in they aren't being rendered correctly. They're rendering as a stream of rotating colored lines when I look at my rockets from below when launching for instance (when they're supposed to be images of some sort). Seems to depend on the angle. Has absolutely nothing to do with hotrockets. Where did you even infer that from....

Is this perhaps a problem with the x64 KSP version?

EDIT: Negatory, the particles are still appearing very strangely on x86 version as well. Bleh.

Edited by Citizen Joe

Alright. I figured out what the issue is. Just want to inform people that some of the KW Rocketry particle effects (the ones for the small engines it seems) break when texture replacer is installed.

BEHOLD! :o

Zkpru5R.png

UbNU1zn.jpg

Kinda odd that it only seems to be KW

Heres a log of that flight if anyone is interested. Sorry there are other mods in there (was troubleshooting something else when i came across this) but this is TR causing it. It seems to make the particle use a specific flag texture for some reason. Will update if I find anything else.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aeau3lklq4rxub/KSP.log

Edited by Citizen Joe

Alright. I figured out what the issue is. Just want to inform people that some of the KW Rocketry particle effects (the ones for the small engines it seems) break when texture replacer is installed.

http://i.imgur.com/Zkpru5R.png

http://i.imgur.com/UbNU1zn.jpg

Heres a log of that flight if anyone is interested. Sorry there are other mods in there (was troubleshooting something else when i came across this) but this is TR causing it. Will update if I find anything else

What I take away from this is that KW is powered by KSP, literally.

I have to say that KW is a great mod, but I was really excited for the petal adapter. Its just not long enough! Sure you can take a lander with a capsule, a small fuel tank, a small engine and a couple of legs, but good luck taking any more than that. The docking port goes into the engine above and docks to it and also shrouds it so it not only looks stupid, but doesn't work properly. If the 3.5m section of the adapter was a bit longer I could fit my lander in there no problem. But right now I can't take any additional RCS, science experiments or engines longer than my toenail. Anything that does makes the node attach to the engine above and render the whole thing redundant.

I'm having problems with this version of KW Rocketry as it won't let me load old crafts (from 0.23.5) that are in flight.

I deleted a few crafts and copied the cfg from the new version into my persistance file for the rest. Now I can finally enjoy this amazing addon! Thanks guys! :D

http://i.imgur.com/Zkpru5R.png

http://i.imgur.com/UbNU1zn.jpg

Heres a log of that flight if anyone is interested. Sorry there are other mods in there (was troubleshooting something else when i came across this) but this is TR causing it. It seems to make the particle use a specific flag texture for some reason. Will update if I find anything else.

I had then when I installed KSPRC - using the NASA LFBs, viewed at a certain angle, would make the exhaust use the same texture as the current flag (for some reason). The fix is the delete the files in TextureReplacer/Default/FX, I think it is.. or just get rid of the FX folder entirely, not sure where it is. If you want awesome exhausts, use HotRockets instead.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Oh, question, is there any way to get the exhaust particles to actually collide with objects and the ground like in the teaser?

They didn't collide in that, I used SRBs mounted on the opposite side of the rocket firing towards the camera.

I wish they did.