[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Can someone tell me where the coding for the Petal adapter is? I want to tone down the first decoupler force a bit. When I decoupled the command module on my Apollo replica it shot the thing off at 4 m/s, which took a fair bit of reverse burn on the RCS to cancel out. Want to just lower the decoupler force a small amount. Thanks!

Can someone tell me where the coding for the Petal adapter is? I want to tone down the first decoupler force a bit.

GameData\KWRocketry\Parts\Structural\KWPetalAdapter3m\PetalAdapter3m.cfg - there's two Modules at the bottom called ModuleDecouple. The first one, with an ejectionForce of 250 is, I believe, the top one and the one you want. Dial that down to what you want. Or TweakableEverything has an option to tweak decoupling force in the editor, if you prefer.

Can someone tell me where the coding for the Petal adapter is?

Make module manager cfg with this:

@PART[KW3mPetalAdapter]:AFTER[KWRocketry]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],0
{
@ejectionForce = 250 //Change this value
}
@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],1
{
@ejectionForce = 500 //Chage this value
}
}

Make module manager cfg with this:

@PART[KW3mPetalAdapter]:AFTER[KWRocketry]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],0
{
@ejectionForce = 250 //Change this value
}
@MODULE[ModuleDecouple],1
{
@ejectionForce = 500 //Chage this value
}
}

GameData\KWRocketry\Parts\Structural\KWPetalAdapter3m\PetalAdapter3m.cfg - there's two Modules at the bottom called ModuleDecouple. The first one, with an ejectionForce of 250 is, I believe, the top one and the one you want. Dial that down to what you want. Or TweakableEverything has an option to tweak decoupling force in the editor, if you prefer.

Thanks to both of you! :)

Anyone else struggling with the interstage decouplers not decoupling?

The interstage decouplers are not working if the top node of the decoupler is not attached. I have worked around this on my install simply by changing the eplosiveNodeId in the cfg files to be isOmniDecoupler=true for all the interstage parts so that they act like the stack separators and eject from both top and bottom.

The interstage decouplers are not working if the top node of the decoupler is not attached. I have worked around this on my install simply by changing the eplosiveNodeId in the cfg files to be isOmniDecoupler=true for all the interstage parts so that they act like the stack separators and eject from both top and bottom.

I see... They changed the interstage decouplers from having one bottom node and one top node to having two bottom nodes and one top node.

Is there a way to set an explosiveNodeID for more than one node?

I see... They changed the interstage decouplers from having one bottom node and one top node to having two bottom nodes and one top node.

Is there a way to set an explosiveNodeID for more than one node?

You can have more than one node, that's how the Petal adapter works, but I chose to go the isOmniDecoupler route as it is only one action to decouple rather than a decouple for the top and a decouple for the bottom.

You can have more than one node, that's how the Petal adapter works, but I chose to go the isOmniDecoupler route as it is only one action to decouple rather than a decouple for the top and a decouple for the bottom.

Speaking of, I don't actually see a reason why I couldn't change all the shroud decouplers to omni decouple, apart from maybe a few niche uses involving using them as cargo shrouds. Hmm.

Well, maybe not omni (as they need to stay attached to the spent stage), but you could give them decoupling ability on all upper nodes.

Well, maybe not omni (as they need to stay attached to the spent stage), but you could give them decoupling ability on all upper nodes.

I second this. I always use them by attaching the top (now bottom top) part to a 0.626 engine, so not being able to decouple with this is not working for me unless I fit another 0.626 decoupler inside it, which is kinda dumb... I'd like only one decoupler for this, like it used to be in 2.5.6b.

They should have auto fairings unless you installed the extra config to remove them.

Question. I noticed the top node of the IS fairings can connect to the top node of any engine.. and it looks great. But unless I jump it with a fuel line it cuts the engines feed to the tank. Is this just a clipping issue? If so is there a way around it?

Open it in your zip program (or windows explorer), find the sub-folder named GameData (inside of the one that sais "Open, do not extract") and extract this to the KSP Directory, like every other mod. What's in GameData in the zip belongs in GameData on your KSP install.

Thanks. It works now.

Hi, I'm having some problems with KER not recognizing KW parts well, sometimes it just give 0 m/s dv by using KW tanks and/or engines, but then the rocket flies well.

I'm not sure whether it's a problem of KW or KER, so I just post it here first.

They should have auto fairings unless you installed the extra config to remove them.

Question. I noticed the top node of the IS fairings can connect to the top node of any engine.. and it looks great. But unless I jump it with a fuel line it cuts the engines feed to the tank. Is this just a clipping issue? If so is there a way around it?

I haven't added the extra files that removes them, so something is definitely wrong. I have reinstalled the mod 3 times, with 3 separate downloads, and still no dice

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what I was doing wrong

Edited by Sokar408

I haven't added the extra files that removes them, so something is definitely wrong. I have reinstalled the mod 3 times, with 3 separate downloads, and still no dice

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what I was doing wrong

Please do and what you did wrong. I too do not separate engine covers after disconnecting the tank

Did you place down the engine first? or the shroud?

Hi, I'm having some problems with KER not recognizing KW parts well, sometimes it just give 0 m/s dv by using KW tanks and/or engines, but then the rocket flies well.

I think I'll pass on that one, I have no visibility of how KER works, and what stats it picks up on so I wouldn't know where to start, though I have heard other people mention this in relation to other mods so you might want to see if anyone has already asked on the KER side of things.

Edited by Kickasskyle

In order to avoid issues with KER, build top-down. You get the best results if the root part is in the highest possible stage (S0) and all other stages are physically below the root part. (I suspect that has something to do with building in the other direction opening a new, different part tree internally or something.)

Hey, this is probably just my stupidity, but the 5m parts don't seem to appear in the tech tree when I try to unlock them. They are apparently available in the VAB just greyed out and says "This part needs to be unlocked in R&D" or something along those lines. Parts in question are the 5m SAS ring halves and the 5m adapter tanks. Anyone else with this problem? Could someone tell me where these should be in the tech tree if I'm just being blind? Thanks! :D

In order to avoid issues with KER, build top-down. You get the best results if the root part is in the highest possible stage (S0) and all other stages are physically below the root part. (I suspect that has something to do with building in the other direction opening a new, different part tree internally or something.)

Another option I use to avoid confusing KER entirely is just build one stage at a time, starting from the payload working down. Get the NRAP test weight that you can set to a specific tonnage. After the payload, use the NRAP as your root part. Then you can save off the stage as a subassembly. Since each craft is a single stage, KER won't have any trouble calculating the ÃŽâ€v. Then just add it up yourself

Unfortunately they only have one top node. I tried setting the top bottom node as the explosive node but it would stay attached to the upper stage at the top node if the top node was attached. Using the cfg file settings from 2.5b did not give me the behaviour from 0.23.5 so I have to assume that one of the 0.24 changes is what caused this new behaviour. If you want the decoupler to stay attached to the spent stage, you would need 2 variants of the decoupler - one with the explosiveNodeID set to top and one with it set to bottom2 to cover everything. Seeing as I don't care if it does not stay attached I am using isOmniDecoupler.