[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Bug report:

When using KW 2.5m rocket fuel tanks, sometimes the engines will flame out and read "oxidizer deprived" even when the tanks are full and the engine is attached directly to the fuel tank. This only happens on the final stage and happens with both stock engines and KW engines. Reloading the craft gives the same results. This is basically a game breaking bug :/

Edit: While I can replicate this bug all day, manually switching the engine to a different configuration, launching, then switching back and launching again sometimes fixes the problem. Still trying to pinpoint what's going on.

uIn3MoN.png

Appears to be the same problem as

Not entirely sure what's causing this, but occasionally some of the engines refuse to take fuel from tanks they're directly attached to. the gauge on the staging bar is empty but the tank is full and the engine refuses to fire.
Edited by Tiberius

I figured out what my problem was..

KW Rocketry has 3 Sets of duplicated Engine parts in my parts list.

I followed installation instructions multiple times but it still duplicates the engine parts.

Help???? Not sure how to fix this, I've done 3 fresh installs.

EDIT: The "Extras" folders aren't merging properly, and gave my multple engine parts causing tweakscale to not work correctly. So all I have now is just the parts with no extras.

Edited by Maximus88

I love the new version of KW, which is one of my favorite mods, with one tiny exception...

Why did the Vesta get downgraded as much as it did? It used to be my go-to engine, now it's just another engine in a crowd.

I know it was OP, but it seems to me that it should have been changed down to 100 kN and 0.7t instead of 90 kN and 0.75t. It used to be that two Vestas were better than an LVT-30 or LVT-45, and now they're a little bit worse. I suppose it's realistic, but not quite as much fun, to only make it useful as a single upper stage engine for a payload that's a bit too much for an LV-909.

I guess I'm mainly upset that the update made my Jool-5 lander a lot less capable, particularly on Tylo.

I love the new version of KW, which is one of my favorite mods, with one tiny exception...

Why did the Vesta get downgraded as much as it did? It used to be my go-to engine, now it's just another engine in a crowd.

I know it was OP, but it seems to me that it should have been changed down to 100 kN and 0.7t instead of 90 kN and 0.75t. It used to be that two Vestas were better than an LVT-30 or LVT-45, and now they're a little bit worse. I suppose it's realistic, but not quite as much fun, to only make it useful as a single upper stage engine for a payload that's a bit too much for an LV-909.

You can always edit the config file back to its previous values! The engine was a bit OP; I used it in everything. I especially like how it costs more now in Career mode. I still use it, but it makes sense that the higher efficiency requires more expensive technology.

Why? Since this pack has been reworked it requires very little memory (~250 MB or something?) compared to it's size, part count and even previous versions. Whatever other mods/packs you are using that cumulatively put you over the memory limit for 32 bit, you're much more likely to get more mileage out of texture-reducing the others as they are probably bigger (or you wouldn't be over the limit). You could also just use the 64 bit version (if you have enough physical RAM), it works reasonably well with few exceptions (there are some, but very few, plugins that won't work with it).

thanks, for the explanation, unfortunately I run KSP on mac so no 64 bit for me ;.; (at least for now hopefully squad will keep up to great job they are doing and release a 64 bit OsX version)

Bug report:

When using KW 2.5m rocket fuel tanks, sometimes the engines will flame out and read "oxidizer deprived" even when the tanks are full and the engine is attached directly to the fuel tank. This only happens on the final stage and happens with both stock engines and KW engines. Reloading the craft gives the same results. This is basically a game breaking bug :/

Edit: While I can replicate this bug all day, manually switching the engine to a different configuration, launching, then switching back and launching again sometimes fixes the problem. Still trying to pinpoint what's going on.

http://i.imgur.com/uIn3MoN.png

Appears to be the same problem as

Tested with the wildcat engine on the third stage of a heavy lifter. It will fire fine on the ground with the lower stages still attached, but when the lower stages are dumped in orbit the engine flames out even though it's directly attached to a full tank.

Still haven't seen a solution to this. For now, I'm just using a Procedural Fairings interstage to shroud the engine, which works well

I cannot replicate this, as much as I've tried. As I result I can't even really try and fix it without commiting something that will bust how it functions for other people. Because I can't replicate it, I'm inclined to believe something else is clashing and causing it. If you have any ideas, shoot.

Tested with the wildcat engine on the third stage of a heavy lifter. It will fire fine on the ground with the lower stages still attached, but when the lower stages are dumped in orbit the engine flames out even though it's directly attached to a full tank.

Does the issue occur with just KW tanks? Seeing as you've said it happens with both stock and KW engines.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but struts are not surface mountable to some of the SRBs in this pack, or they don't work correctly anyways. Any chance you can address this?

Which SRBs specifically? I can't recall ever having had this problem.

I cannot replicate this, as much as I've tried. As I result I can't even really try and fix it without commiting something that will bust how it functions for other people. Because I can't replicate it, I'm inclined to believe something else is clashing and causing it. If you have any ideas, shoot.

I was afraid of this. My install is heavily modified - I use batch files to load up only the parts I need. I'm pretty sure I have all the proper dependencies from looking through the .part files but may have missed some. I only posted when I saw someone else had the issue too. Regardless, I've started using the Procedural Fairings interstage adapter and I modified it to actually decouple and it works really good. So I'll keep with that

Yeah a dump question from me:

Could it be that the Radial SAS parts are slightly off Center in the current version?

The 2m radial SAS has it mostly noticeable, on the x axis as it looks like.

For testing I made a KSP only with stock parts and KW, trying out the x axis offsets to get them into center.

I have a minor issue:

When i was flying my Saturn V replica, I performed the transposition and docking manuever (no LEM though, it was Apollo 8 style), only to find upon munar periapsis that my SPS engine refused to fire. My CSM was pretty much identical to the one in that petal adapter tutorial video you put on the OP, and the RCS worked fine. My kerbals ended up in a wide orbit with no hope of escape, because I don't roll with this silly "Free Return" stuff.

Any help on getting it to fire?

I have a minor issue:

When i was flying my Saturn V replica, I performed the transposition and docking manuever (no LEM though, it was Apollo 8 style), only to find upon munar periapsis that my SPS engine refused to fire. My CSM was pretty much identical to the one in that petal adapter tutorial video you put on the OP, and the RCS worked fine. My kerbals ended up in a wide orbit with no hope of escape, because I don't roll with this silly "Free Return" stuff.

Could we see a screenshot of your ship?

I have a minor issue:

I'd love to see a screenshot of your ship before I pass judgment, but some speculation that I have is that, from what I've noticed, the SPS engine is now powered by Monoprop (as I recall). Are you carrying LFO?

Beartato, my ship was using monopropellant tanks, not LFO. The SPS fired on my CSM-only craft file, but when i attached it to the Saturn V, nothing happened. The RCS thrusters worked fine.

I didn't take any screenshots, have to take a few, but the CSM was identical in every way to the one in the petal fairing tutorial video on the OP. I even switched RCS thrusters from the quads to the stock, and nothing happened again.

Yeah a dump question from me:

Could it be that the Radial SAS parts are slightly off Center in the current version?

The 2m radial SAS has it mostly noticeable, on the x axis as it looks like.

For testing I made a KSP only with stock parts and KW, trying out the x axis offsets to get them into center.

So I used the evening to play around with some values for changing the attachment Point position.

Setting it on the Z axis from -0,03 to -0,045 fixed it and then the part is again centered.

So it was not the x axis, like I said before. This works for the 2m and the 3m radial SAS.

Anyone else having issues with the Expanded 3m fairings and FAR? Parts inside are showing as shielded yet they're tearing off from aerodynamic stresses.

What kind of parts? Antenna in particular don't actually get shielded from being ripped off even if they are under a fairing (next version of RT2 might fix that)

Anyone else having issues with the Expanded 3m fairings and FAR? Parts inside are showing as shielded yet they're tearing off from aerodynamic stresses.

That's more of a bug with FAR than anything. I have heard of issues of FAR not calculating drag correctly on vessel load, but whenever you lose/decouple parts from it, it recalculates drag so TL;DR put launch stability enhancers on and see if they help.

I'm having an issue with the Thor II disintegrating or breaking apart on separation. All I have attached to them is a chute on top, for refunds, and two sepatrons. At the very least, all the parts fly off and I can only recover the parachute. Occasionally the whole thing blows up. Flight results spam Structural failures between Globe X-10L "Thor II" SRB and xxx.

I have a ton of mods running, but relative ones to the problem are Real Chute and NEAR.

That's more of a bug with FAR than anything. I have heard of issues of FAR not calculating drag correctly on vessel load, but whenever you lose/decouple parts from it, it recalculates drag so TL;DR put launch stability enhancers on and see if they help.

That seems to work.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I can’t figure out why I don’t get auto-shrouds :(

• I did not install the no-auto-shroud-config
  • I do have Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings

Don’t get shrouds on any engine. Any more ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to bring this up again, but I can’t figure out why I don’t get auto-shrouds :(

• I did not install the no-auto-shroud-config
  • I do have Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings

Don’t get shrouds on any engine. Any more ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Just to confirm, because this is a common source of missing parts, is the path to your fairings folder, "<<main kSP folder>>/GameData/KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/"?

Just to confirm, because this is a common source of missing parts, is the path to your fairings folder, "<<main kSP folder>>/GameData/KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/"?

Thanks for your reply, yes it is.