[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

I think I've come up with a cheeki way to mitigate the horrible texture warpage on the inner faces. The top faces are a total loss though, because squad. So tomorrow I'll see what I can come up with for texturing the stuff.

If you're interested in reviving the old fixed multipart fairings, it might be possible to modify the payload fairing module from old FAR for this purpose. All the machinery for detecting occlusion is there, and ferram4 seems to be generally permissive with people asking to use his code.

whelp, almost ready to start up a 1.0 Science game! I really can't live without my Snowflake system- as my utter inability to consistently launch midsized payloads can attest. small I can do (solid boosters are awesome) and big is... well, not pretty, but when you're using the Orange Tanks as booster rockets 'pretty' is kinda subjective, but they work, mostly....

but the main thing I miss is the engines-for-every-occasion this mod has. combined with the Near Future stuff and stock, all my space-going needs are pretty much met.

Has anyone using KW Rocketry started using Deadly Reentry for 1.02? It seems like the two don't agree somehow--at it happens, older versions of KW Rocketry also seem to disagree with the new DR as well (they didn't conflict with DR for 0.90, when it wasn't functional).

I know it's not up to anyone to fix the incompatibility, but I can't quite figure out what's causing the issue myself. Maybe someone's having better luck.

Has anyone using KW Rocketry started using Deadly Reentry for 1.02? It seems like the two don't agree somehow--at it happens, older versions of KW Rocketry also seem to disagree with the new DR as well (they didn't conflict with DR for 0.90, when it wasn't functional).

Could you be more exact than "disagree"?

Could you be more exact than "disagree"?

Sorry--it hangs on loading, I believe in the middle of Module Manager applying patches. I checked for the obvious (missing brackets) but haven't seen anything yet.

Sorry--it hangs on loading, I believe in the middle of Module Manager applying patches. I checked for the obvious (missing brackets) but haven't seen anything yet.

I had this problem too. I think i found the source.

I belive it is the DeadlyReentry-KMRocketryFairings.conf. Because the statusbar hang up at KW2mSRBNoseCone and this ist the first part witch is modified in this cfg. I'm nod a modder, but i searches the web an i think therer are some errors in this file.

This is how the first entry looked. the following entrys looked similar.

@PART[KW2mSRBNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15 emissiveConstant = 0.9
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
skinThicknessFactor = 0.1
skinHeatConductivity = 0.012 skinMaxTemp = 2000
}
}

I think the problem is, that emissiveConstant = 0.9 has not the right operator in front. I looked in the patched KWRocketry Part.cfg and dosn't find an antry for emissiveConstant = 0.9. If i see this correct stands the @-operator for modify, but there is no such entry . Because of that i edit all 'emissiveConstant' in DeadlyReentry-KMRocketryFairings.conf and add a % in front of them (% = modify or add).

Now the games starts correct for me.

Thsi is the complete file, yust find DeadlyReentry-KMRocketryFairings.conf in GameData\DeadlyReentry ind youre KSP folder end replace its content with this.

@PART[KW2mSRBNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW1mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW2mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW3mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW5mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
skinHeatConductivity = 0.012
skinMaxTemp = 2000
}
}
@PART[KW*FairingCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW*FairingWall]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}

I hope thats not the wrong solution an it works for everyone else.

And before blaming Starwaster, i think he dosn't update because KWRoketry isn't officaly updated for 1.0 atm.

Oh, and sorry for any misspelling, my school english isnt very well :(

Edited by DianonForce

I think I've come up with a cheeki way to mitigate the horrible texture warpage on the inner faces. The top faces are a total loss though, because squad. So tomorrow I'll see what I can come up with for texturing the stuff.

Turns out I'm running into some problems with unresolvable seams. The worst problem is probably the fact that I can't match the colour palettes at all, for some reason the p.fairing textures come out ridiculously darker, even a a 100% white texture will come out looking grey due to what I'd assume are lighting issues. Then there's also no specular map support, and I can't figure a way of changing the glossiness, if it's even an option.

If you're interested in reviving the old fixed multipart fairings, it might be possible to modify the payload fairing module from old FAR for this purpose. All the machinery for detecting occlusion is there, and ferram4 seems to be generally permissive with people asking to use his code.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but we're not the most plug-in oriented mod so I honestly wouldn't know where to start.

Are the engines OP compared to stock? All the engines got their ISP nuked in 1.0

I'd say the 3.75m and 5m engines are pretty close to the new performance of the stock engines. With the string of buffs that the stock engines got in 0.23.5 and 0.24, the Great Nerfing actually isn't as big of a change from how the Mainsail and Skipper looked when KW was originally balanced. The 2.5m engines could stand to come down a little, and the 1.25m engines should basically follow the changes to the same-size stock engines.

Its rather difficult for someone new to this to get a handle on it - but the bottom line is that the "old style" fairings in KW are broken as of 1.02? I am having a lot of difficulty mating *any* KW parts with a fresh install of KSP and this addon. - they jsut dont ever seem to click together. I tried googling, but all I find are tutorials for older versions, and the wiki is too sparse and dated. Is there a better source for how to use these parts? Im especially interested in the 5m stuff, yet the 5m launch assemblies dont even show up in the list despite the .craft files being there in the subassemblies folder in my save. TL;DR - is this borken, and should I just dump it and wait for an update?

Murdabenne: Squad slightly changed how node attachment works. As a result, any parts that don't conform to the new definitions have trouble attaching. For the most part, it's a matter of flipping a value on any bottom or side nodes.

Turns out I'm running into some problems with unresolvable seams. The worst problem is probably the fact that I can't match the colour palettes at all, for some reason the p.fairing textures come out ridiculously darker, even a a 100% white texture will come out looking grey due to what I'd assume are lighting issues. Then there's also no specular map support, and I can't figure a way of changing the glossiness, if it's even an option.

You could try to ask, for instance, Beale's help with this. I suppose he already faced similar problem.

Murdabenne: Squad slightly changed how node attachment works. As a result, any parts that don't conform to the new definitions have trouble attaching. For the most part, it's a matter of flipping a value on any bottom or side nodes.

Just use the non strict attachment cheat.

Hell man, just drop this idea! No need to propagate stock "fairings"! All the sane boys and girls would go and use Procedural Fairings mod. All the other... well, their loss.

Second that. Stock confetti-style "fairings" are... well... poo.png

KWR fairings, were very nice :cool:, but they became too part-greedy since 0.90 :(. Spending 5-10 parts of 30 available in early game VAB for fairings was... inconvenient.

Procedural Fairings were a single sane option for KSP 0.90 and still are for 1.0.2. There is also a KWR-style retexture pack.

Save your health! Just add PF to KWR dependencies in CKAN and don't give yourself a headache with fairings anymore. :)

Edited by Dr. Jet

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about fairings, I'm sure they'll get further updates for the next version to solve some of the issues. The stock ones work fine for people who don't want to install pFairings.

I had this problem too. I think i found the source.

I belive it is the DeadlyReentry-KMRocketryFairings.conf. Because the statusbar hang up at KW2mSRBNoseCone and this ist the first part witch is modified in this cfg. I'm nod a modder, but i searches the web an i think therer are some errors in this file.

This is how the first entry looked. the following entrys looked similar.

@PART[KW2mSRBNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15 emissiveConstant = 0.9
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}

I think the problem is, that emissiveConstant = 0.9 has not the right operator in front. I looked in the patched KWRocketry Part.cfg and dosn't find an antry for emissiveConstant = 0.9. If i see this correct stands the @-operator for modify, but there is no such entry . Because of that i edit all 'emissiveConstant' in DeadlyReentry-KMRocketryFairings.conf and add a % in front of them (% = modify or add).

Now the games starts correct for me.

Thsi is the complete file, yust find DeadlyReentry-KMRocketryFairings.conf in GameData\DeadlyReentry ind youre KSP folder end replace its content with this.

@PART[KW2mSRBNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW1mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW2mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW3mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW5mNoseCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
skinHeatConductivity = 0.012
skinMaxTemp = 2000
}
}
@PART[KW*FairingCone]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}
@PART[KW*FairingWall]
{
@maxTemp = 1523.15
%emissiveConstant = 0.9
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
}
}

I hope thats not the wrong solution an it works for everyone else.

And before blaming Starwaster, i think he dosn't update because KWRoketry isn't officaly updated for 1.0 atm.

Oh, and sorry for any misspelling, my school english isnt very well :(

That completely did it, thank you very much!

@KickassKyle/Winston: I suppose what you could do, if getting the fairings working in stock is undoable, is just release them as is but hidden unless FAR is installed (simple :NEEDS config for MM) - with the voxel-based aero nuFAR uses, it doesn't matter what's shielding things as long as its aerodynamic.

The stock ones work fine for people who don't want to install pFairings.

I don't think so, every time I try to use the stock fairings it ends up looking like a p*nis. But Procedural Fairings with KWR-style texture is a good solution, no need to spend time working on the KW fairings I guess.

Edited by JohnTomato
Wording (lol)

Yeah, the new aerodynamic occlusion system and how it works with fairings is definitely causing the part mods to scramble a bit. I ended up removing the existing fairings from SpaceY, and added in a 5m base that uses the new stock procedural fairings, and now I am just putting up with the texture warping. The pattern I used is relatively non-obvious, but you can still see it of course.

Since 1.0+ is save-breaking (from earlier saves) anyway, this is the perfect time to remove things. This is just an idea, but one possibility is to split the old fairings out to a separate pack and just make it clear in the description that it's intended for use with FAR/NEAR and not stock aero. Then use a stock-like procedural fairing in the main mod pack, which sounds like this is pretty close to what's happening already here.

This is a really great pack, I'm glad to see it's still going. :)

EDIT: I know how painful the re-balancing is. In a way you guys are lucky here, by not doing it during the first few days after 1.0, since they had completely changed the heat scale and switched MaxThrust to be the sea-level thrust, then changed the numbers back in 1.0.1. Still, they also added a lot of other fields for heat emissives & max temperature, cross-section profiles, etc. Changes were made to just about every single part.

Edited by NecroBones

Hello everyone!

First of all, Im very very happy that I see some progress here, I was afraid that the mod got abandoned for good. Well, because of that, I created my own version of the mod to use a week or two ago. As Im totally unexperienced at modding (this the first time I do anything like this), it's not using module manager updates (except for the techtree modification).

Modifications:

- Parts snap nicely to each other.

- Rebalanced heat generation on engines, and added heat emission values.

- Rebalanced ISP, especially on lower-end engines to mach the values on stock engines.

- Added launch smoke and surface effects to the engines.

- Added the Experimental Rocketry node to the tech tree.

- Removed fairings all together.

- Changes to descriptions to make them more humorous... well I made it for my own use... :D

You can use it if you like, but remember, this is not an official patch, or version of the mod, so if you encounter any bugs, well, I wont fix them :D

EDIT: This has not been tested for every engine, so surprises can happen.

EDIT2: I'm not using DeadlyReentry, so this version isn't comaptible with it. (Unless you mod it further :))

EDIT3: There is a bug that causes engine parts to randomly appear smaller, as they were rescaled to about 90% of the original size. It happens totally randomly, after switching back from map mode, or reversing a flight to launch. It must be a bug somewhere in the original configs, and I dont know how to get rid of it.

Link to file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i438c5w06dr29po/KW_Rocketry_1.02.zip?dl=0

Edited by Darkway