[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Hi there, on a balance note I thing the 3.75m engines should be on another research node, right now they are in the same node as the 5m ones which is kinda weird, and in effect there is a very long time between the unlocking of the maverick V, and everything bigger. Also Maybe put the Griffon G8D in the large volume containment node?

The petal adapter is not working. I have an Apollo-style rocket. LM in the adapter, CSM ontop, you know. I currently have a skipper engine attached to a rockomax tank ( the flat 2.5m one), where the top is attached to. Strict placement and part clipping is off. Please help.

The petal adapter is not working. I have an Apollo-style rocket. LM in the adapter, CSM ontop, you know. I currently have a skipper engine attached to a rockomax tank ( the flat 2.5m one), where the top is attached to. Strict placement and part clipping is off. Please help.

The Petal Adapter is somewhat buggy. It only works well with the KW 2.5m engines. You will also need to edit your "PetalAdapter3m.cfg" file in order to make the top decouple node work properly. Here is the config change I made, and now it works as expected:

Change this line (line 88):

explosiveNodeID = top

To:

explosiveNodeID = topFDown

EDIT: Alternatively, you can remove the following node, which should allow you to connect it to the bottom of any 2.5m part

node_stack_topFDown = 0.0, 2.10, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

In this mode, though, you will not be able to use the 'hidden' attachment node within the KW 2.5m motors, and will only be able to attach it to the bottoms. This means you'll be left with an ugly engine shroud that will "float" in the air after you open the petals and decouple your upper payload. If you're looking for a more pure Apollo-style system, you'll want to use the first method I described.

I'm going to fiddle with the config some more this weekend to see if I can make the part operate properly with either mode.

Edited by devikwolf

Hello,

I'm looking to see if there is a new version since 16/05 but can't see that it's been updated. I'm reading positive comments about KW in the recent pages. Is it released and working with FAR and DRE now, as the original 16/05 release still needed some work.

Thanks!

Can I say how disappointed I am?

The last update for 0.25, which also worked for 0.90 wasn't really stellar. Of course we got all those nice 5m parts, but some of the stuff in the KW-Mod was broken and needed fixing. There were 2 or 3 issues which I could easily write a patch for, and happily did so.

I didn't expect the first version for 1.0 to be amazing actually. I anticipated that there would be issues. But I also hoped that there'd be a follow-up which brought the pack to a manageable state.

Before you link me your own patches or work-arounds ... No. I have accepted the fact that KW is off my radar for now.

It's a crying shame. All the work which went into the models and effects is barely useful because the devs couldn't be bothered to invest a few more hours into balancing and bug fixing.

Before you jump me and call me entitled: Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I shouldn't complain.

It's just a crying shame.

Wow..... I guess if you don't like the way a mod is maintained. Update it on your own. Don't crucify the person that put it together in the first place. Maybe even offer your help before you dump on someone for not living up to your expectations. This is supposed to be a community, not a super market where everything is free and delivered to your door.

devs, thank you for your efforts and thank you for even updating the pack at all.

Before you jump me and call me entitled: Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I shouldn't complain.

It's just a crying shame.

I think the point you're missing is that you really have no reason to complain. You're viewing the mod as a product, which it is not. You didn't pay for it and the devs didn't make it to earn money. They didn't even make it for the likes of you. They made something they wanted for the game, and then kindly made it available to everyone else. That's really the main thing anyone should keep in mind about mods - the people who make them are under no obligation to share them. So be thankful for what you even have. And if that's not good enough for you, well - sorry but the developers have no real reason to make it good enough for you. I'm sure if K&W were actually playing KSP more, then a lot of issues would be fixed. But I'm guessing they are not, which is another reason why you should be happy an official update was even released. No doubt if (IF) they find more time to play, the majority of issues will be resolved, because it'll bug them too. That's just the way mod development works. In the meantime, as you said, do the fix yourself or hope a more helpful community member comes along and does it. But then again if they see you being a jerk maybe they won't tell you about it

Edited by Gaiiden

Hi everyone. :)

Just asking one thing : it is possible to turn the FAR friendly fairing (2.00 with the 2 clams ) in the 3.75 size (base + fairing)? In fact, I also use Tweakscale but the ejection of the fairings work not so much : actually, they stuck and collide in the main structure, so... ^^'

I really don't know how to modify that so, if someone can help me to light up this problem... It will be nice! :)

Cheers.

Would it be possible to give the option to only download 5m parts and other large peripherals (Thor SRBs, 5m adapters, 5m SAS ring, Ullage moters, etc.)? I'd love to easily be able to download the larger parts without doubling up on smaller sized fuel tanks, engines, fairing bases, etc. which already have stock versions.:wink:

I could just delete the other parts myself, but they can be hard to sort out. And if there's an update I'll have to delete them all over again.

Would it be possible to give the option to only download 5m parts and other large peripherals (Thor SRBs, 5m adapters, 5m SAS ring, Ullage moters, etc.)? I'd love to easily be able to download the larger parts without doubling up on smaller sized fuel tanks, engines, fairing bases, etc. which already have stock versions.:wink:

I could just delete the other parts myself, but they can be hard to sort out. And if there's an update I'll have to delete them all over again.

Sounds like you need http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101309 :D

Wow..... I guess if you don't like the way a mod is maintained. Update it on your own.
... But then again if they see you being a jerk maybe they won't tell you about it

I actually wrote a few patches for KW myself and I saw at least one of them being shared among the community.

I honestly would have preferred no update over the current implementation. But that's just my opinion, like I said. No reason to attack me personally.

Thanks! I'll look into that and PartManager.:wink:

Edit:

From the forums, it seems like PartManager has a better UI which uses CKAN, but doesn't save memory when you remove a part, unless you also have TextureReplacer also installed? AutoPruner sounds like it actually saves memory through its part renaming method. Until PartManager can do the same, AutoPruner it is!

Edited by ev0

I cant get the 3.75m-2.5m petal adapter to work, its all connect correct but when i go to decouple the main rocket (the section above the adapter) it just sticks to the adapter. The lander inside decouples fine though. Is anyone else having these problems?

I cant get the 3.75m-2.5m petal adapter to work, its all connect correct but when i go to decouple the main rocket (the section above the adapter) it just sticks to the adapter. The lander inside decouples fine though. Is anyone else having these problems?

Tried right clicking the petal adapter and clicking all options?

yep, it's great to have the new KW procedural fairings because I missed using the expanded bases, but if anyone finds a solution for using the old style ones with the new drag model I'd go back to them because of the better separation.

It was the best fairing system :( I hope someone fixes it

Tried right clicking the petal adapter and clicking all options?

I just discovered ten minutes ago I have the same issue. Main ship doesn't decouple but the landing module inside does. Tried different fuel tanks, I pressed every available option in right click menu, tried action groups, tried decoupling with shroud both open and closed. Nothing works.

There's that big, really massive disclaimer in the part description that says not to use staging with this part. Use the right click menu. If you take that wee bit of advice they threw in your face, you'll find the part works as advertised.

It was the best fairing system :( I hope someone fixes it

I don't know if it helps but the new Update of AnimatedDecouplers has support for fairings and stock aero. The new SDHI Service Module System uses it.

-

AnimatedDecouplers (Starwaster), for umbilical animation on decoupling, as well as adding stock drag occlusion support for the Boost Protect Cover and Service Module side fairings

I don't know if it helps but the new Update of AnimatedDecouplers has support for fairings and stock aero. The new SDHI Service Module System uses it.

-

No, that won't work.... but I am working on a plugin that will allow the original fairings to work properly with aero. It's been slower going than I had anticipaetd but it is coming along.

(the problem with getting Animated Decouplers to work with the fairings is that it would only work for the cones. The side pieces wouldn't give coverage. What I'm working on will go into the fairing base and it will detect the fairing pieces and it will properly size the shielded area accordingly)

It could be that the rocket is attached to the topFDown node wich is not decoupled. You could test it by adding a preferably stock fueltank on top (not inside!) of the adapter and see if it decouples then thats it.

You could then either somehow attach the rocket to the top node (Both are indeed in the same place but with diferent orientation) or edit the .cfg so that topFDown is decoupled as well by adding the line

"explosiveNodeID = topFDown" (no Quotes!) below "explosiveNodeID = top".

I did it myself and it seems to work fine but don't blame me if something breaks by doing so.

I had the exact same issue. Changing the cfg file according to this post fixed that problem and decoupling now works perfectly!

The Petal Adapter is somewhat buggy. It only works well with the KW 2.5m engines. You will also need to edit your "PetalAdapter3m.cfg" file in order to make the top decouple node work properly. Here is the config change I made, and now it works as expected:

Change this line (line 88):

explosiveNodeID = top

To:

explosiveNodeID = topFDown