[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I wanted to isntall kw roketry FAR fairings, not the procedural, do I downloaded the zip and pasted the folder in the Extra. But there are no Expanded fairing bases. Tehre are expanded fairing cones and panels but no base :(

So maybe someone can answer this question for me: is there a version of the KW Rocketry for 1.0.5 where the subassemblies still work without procedural fairings?

This actually kept me from updating to 1.0.5 for a long time: you don't seem to be allowed to use the old style fairings (the FAR compatible ones, though I don't use FAR myself). 1.0.4 can use KW Rocketry without the community fixes fine (surprisingly), which lets you keep your old fairing-using designs, but loading any of those designs--or the official KW subassemblies--are all broken by the community fix patch, which you need in 1.0.5.

Of course, the alternative is staying in 1.0.4, or using 1.0.5. and redesigning everything from scratch, including the subassemblies. 

5 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

So maybe someone can answer this question for me: is there a version of the KW Rocketry for 1.0.5 where the subassemblies still work without procedural fairings?

This actually kept me from updating to 1.0.5 for a long time: you don't seem to be allowed to use the old style fairings (the FAR compatible ones, though I don't use FAR myself). 1.0.4 can use KW Rocketry without the community fixes fine (surprisingly), which lets you keep your old fairing-using designs, but loading any of those designs--or the official KW subassemblies--are all broken by the community fix patch, which you need in 1.0.5.

Of course, the alternative is staying in 1.0.4, or using 1.0.5. and redesigning everything from scratch, including the subassemblies. 

Not sure what in the community fixes would be breaking the fairings.  Could you provide more info?

Edited by blowfish

7 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Nnot sure what in the community fixes would be breaking the fairings.  Could you provide more info?

Haha, hello again Blowfish. I'm sure you're getting tired of me.

I recalled why I was using 1.0.4--because 1.0.4 runs with the last "official" (as I understand it) KW Rocketry release without the community fix.

The community fix is obviously a good thing--unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it breaks 1) KW's included subassemblies and 2) all my designs that happened to use them.

By "break", I mean ships will load up, but parts will be broken/misaligned in the VAB, and cannot be moved (and their stage icons will be sitting outside the main line, as though they were unattached). Cosmetically, the engine sheaths are missing from the decouplers. Subassemblies cannot be placed correctly (they either fail to appear, or they sit somewhere in the VAB, glitched out). 

Since I much prefer KW's old fairings over the procedurally generated variety, this was kind of a deal breaker for me, and I stuck with 1.0.4 all those many months ago (and I forget).

Right now, I'm attempt to pick and choose, and see if I can get the community fix to play with certain versions of the old fairings. Or if I'm misplacing the blame, and the glitch is not from the fairings, but from the old decoupler/decoupler sheaths that were paired with them. It's possible the community fix breaks not the fairings, but the decouplers...?

Of course, I'd greatly appreciate any expert assistance too. 

Edited by Synthesis

@Synthesis There's absolutely nothing in the community fixes that touches the fairings, so I'm not sure what could be going wrong there.  Previous versions did remove the engine shrouds but the current does not.

Also, the last official KW rocketry release was for 1.0.2 (as the thread title says).

Could you try to make a clean 1.0.5 install with KW rocketry and the latest community fixes and confirm that your problem still exists?

Sure, I'll give it a try. I was experimenting and found that in 1.0.5, I can load my old designs that didn't use any KW parts--on the other hand, my KW using designs (some of which used subassemblies to create them), either don't open, or are clearly broken (parts misplaced/names failing to change/etc.). 

I'm pretty sure all the old subassemblies, and the old part attachment data, don't work with the new community fixes (they worked in the release for 1.0.2, which actually worked into 1.0.4--that's how I used it for months). Which isn't unreasonable, that just means those old designs are unsupported. 

Edited by Synthesis

Well, I tried out KW subassemblies in 1.05 with no other mods--they do, in fact, not work (well, all the launch vehicles don't--actually fairing houses do work!).

This was actually useful in confirming this has more to do with the decouplers rather than the fairings, but otherwise it would suggest that the Community Fix changes/updates something in such a manner that old subassemblies and craft files no longer work (again, I suspect decouplers). Interesting, though likely not correctable. I'll keep fooling around and see what might be up with that--I'd hate to have to rebuild all my KW rocket designs, but I can think of worse things (thank god for Kronal Vessel Viewer...). 

EDIT: Hahah--and once again, I end up looking like the fool. The good people who brought us the community fixes were aware of this issue, courtesy of "KWPatch-Interstage"--opening the file even acknowledges:

// This patch contributed by somnambulist
// It switches the interstage fairings over to omni decouplers and removes 
// the finicky extra node on engines/shrouds. This is convceivably craft 
// breaking so it might be best to leave it as an optional module.

This is why you ought to read the patches more closely. 

Deleting the patch fixed the issue. This may mean I'm potentially screwing myself when it comes to future patches if I insist on using my old ship designs, but I'm willing to take that risk. Thanks for your time, Blowfish, I do appreciate that. 

Edited by Synthesis

7 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

Well, I tried out KW subassemblies in 1.05 with no other mods--they do, in fact, not work (well, all the launch vehicles don't--actually fairing houses do work!).

This was actually useful in confirming this has more to do with the decouplers rather than the fairings, but otherwise it would suggest that the Community Fix changes/updates something in such a manner that old subassemblies and craft files no longer work (again, I suspect decouplers). Interesting, though likely not correctable. I'll keep fooling around and see what might be up with that--I'd hate to have to rebuild all my KW rocket designs, but I can think of worse things (thank god for Kronal Vessel Viewer...). 

That makes more sense.  The community fixes do remove some redundant nodes, and it's likely that some of those were being used.  There's a good chance that just re-attaching everything would fix it, but I'm not 100% sure.

7 minutes ago, blowfish said:

That makes more sense.  The community fixes do remove some redundant nodes, and it's likely that some of those were being used.  There's a good chance that just re-attaching everything would fix it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, it's a particular part of the fix that is the "culprit", I mentioned it in the edit. 

I currently have 1.0.5 running with the most recent KW rocketry install, to include the community fixes, running on KSP 64bit for Linux.  When I attempt to use the KW Rocketry parts in the VAB, they will attach via the top node but i can not attach anything to the bottom node.  Does anyone have any idea why that may be the case?  I appreciate any input!

17 hours ago, GrimT said:

I currently have 1.0.5 running with the most recent KW rocketry install, to include the community fixes, running on KSP 64bit for Linux.  When I attempt to use the KW Rocketry parts in the VAB, they will attach via the top node but i can not attach anything to the bottom node.  Does anyone have any idea why that may be the case?  I appreciate any input!

Please provide your logs.

5 hours ago, edemlama said:

I'm having some issues with the community fixes, once installed the 5mt engines disappear

Any idea why? 

I wrote on the community fixes page few month back but no one  replied 

The Community Fixes don't remove the 5m engines, please provide logs.

6 hours ago, blowfish said:

Please provide your logs.

Logs located here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rj0jddm2dv08tk/Player.log?dl=0

Although Im not convinced what you're looking for will be in there.

Heres a screenshot of whats been going on.

You can see here that this particular tank can connect to the KW tank above it this way...

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Screenshot+from+2016-01-18+17-39-18.png

But when flipped upside down, it wont work.  This is the same for all of the KW parts.  One side ends up unusable.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Screenshot+from+2016-01-18+17-39-24.png

1 hour ago, GrimT said:

Logs located here...

Although Im not convinced what you're looking for will be in there.

Heres a screenshot of whats been going on.

You can see here that this particular tank can connect to the KW tank above it this way...

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Screenshot+from+2016-01-18+17-39-18.png

But when flipped upside down, it wont work.  This is the same for all of the KW parts.  One side ends up unusable.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Screenshot+from+2016-01-18+17-39-24.png

Try KSP_Data/output_log.txt - it should be thousands of lines long.  Also, those dropbox links don't work - you need to share the files and then provide the link.

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

Huh ... I don't see any issues relating to them.  Are you sure they're not showing up in the editor in sandbox?

the griffon shows up in sandbox but not in career even if it is unlocked in the tech tree. 456pCG5.png?1

Edited by edemlama

3 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Try KSP_Data/output_log.txt - it should be thousands of lines long.  Also, those dropbox links don't work - you need to share the files and then provide the link.

Sorry about that.

Found another player.log file, located here

Works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5ypywjacs6hid0/Screenshot%20from%202016-01-18%2017-39-18.png?dl=0

No worky

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwdi4ktq9fvwxz6/Screenshot%20from%202016-01-18%2017-39-24.png?dl=0

49 minutes ago, GrimT said:

I'm not 100% sure this is causing your issue, but I see a lot of this in the logs:

Look rotation viewing vector is zero

This means that very bad things have happened, and it may be related.

Can you confirm that the problem persists on a clean install with just KW and the community fixes?

On 1/18/2016 at 7:54 PM, blowfish said:

Huh ... I don't see any issues relating to them.  Are you sure they're not showing up in the editor in sandbox?

they do show up in sand box and they show up in carreer  only after I delete the file KWPatch.cfg

Edited by edemlama

On 1/19/2016 at 7:59 PM, blowfish said:

I'm not 100% sure this is causing your issue, but I see a lot of this in the logs:

Look rotation viewing vector is zero

This means that very bad things have happened, and it may be related.

Can you confirm that the problem persists on a clean install with just KW and the community fixes?

I apologize for the delayed response, Ive not had the opportunity to give this a try.  I'll try to give this approach a shot this evening and report back.  Thanks for your time.

Hi folks. I'm a new user (via CKAN) because I wanted 5m parts to lift heavy stuff in 64K. KW has done that job quite well for me and I've not noticed any functional problems, so my thanks and kudos go out to the creators as well as all who keep this mod in working order.

But of course I have a question. This mod is quite impressively venerable, and it contains many parts that later had equivalents added to stock (e.g., a fuel-filled 1.25m-2.5m cone). I know that it's important to keep those parts in the mod because long term users have them in crafts and save files. However, in my case that doesn't apply, so I'd rather cut down on memory usage and VAB part list clutter. What's the simplest way for me to suppress the now-redundant parts in my install? Do I need to list them myself and delete the files, or has anyone done some of that already? A setting or a script for this would be amazing, but thanks for any response.