[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

About 2 years ago I was lucky enough to be invited to the SpaceX pad here in Texas to watch one of the Grasshopper test flights (it was a 800meter 'jump' strait up then back down to pad) and it was amazing. That was the one and only time I have seen a rocket launch, other than on TV or video....if I had to sum it up in one word that would be aggressive!

The new KW soundFX seem to capture the raw power and aggression that is a rocket launch. Really great work there guys, sound has needed an overhaul for some time now imo.

Also eager to see what parts are being added =)

And one of the best gets better..when v2.5.5 hits its gonna be a good day to be a green dude for sure!!!

About 2 years ago I was lucky enough to be invited to the SpaceX pad here in Texas to watch one of the Grasshopper test flights (it was a 800meter 'jump' strait up then back down to pad) and it was amazing. That was the one and only time I have seen a rocket launch, other than on TV or video....if I had to sum it up in one word that would be aggressive!

The new KW soundFX seem to capture the raw power and aggression that is a rocket launch. Really great work there guys, sound has needed an overhaul for some time now imo.

This is really great to hear.

I've not yet been fortunate enough to see a launch of any kind myself, but from what I've heard, people's overriding memory is one of big noise.

I hoped to encapsulate that with the sounds I collected. There are sounds in there from various rocket launches, movies, IMAX documentaries, tank cannons, howitzers, even car turbochargers and transmissions, mixed and matched to try and create sounds of what are basically slow but powerful explosions combined with savagely violent movement of vast quantities of air, steam, smoke and fire.

Edited by Winston

Further to Winston's video here's a few picks of some the new parts.

New small and large battery packs & 45 degree RCS thrusters.

wCXXEkjl.jpg

TLfedt2l.jpg

FfX8Ue8l.jpg

But onto more important matters.

KW 2.5.5 Release.

Added all the new sounds. (Including a volume'd down version of the stock launch clamp sound [it's in the extra's folder!] )

Added the new batteries, so you won't have to strap a 9V battery to your space stations all the time.

The 45 degree RCS should aid translation for and people who like octagonal landers.

A alternator rebalance and ship files replaced by sub assemblies (Includes a nice set of premade fairing subassys as well as launch vehicles!).

I also added new install instructions to aid in installation.

F2tKqHV.png

Alternative MEGA Download:https://mega.co.nz/#!sgs1VZZZ!XoWxbSGEKS08J0vs2vWRdVmMct1OWGhUL5Q9EucjqT0

Changelog:

Updated to v2.5.5
-Added new sounds to encompass Fairings, Engines and SRBs
-Added new parts:
-Small Batteries (small and long versions)
-Large Batteries (small and long versions)
-45 size 1 RCS pod
-Rebalanced all alternator values to bring parts inline with stock changes
-Extras folder:
-Non-Autoshroud config files now reside here
-Added a reduced volume version of the stock launch clamp sound (old one was louder than rocket engines)
-Added sub assemblies to replace the ships save files for flexibility
-Fixed emissive for 2m Vesta engine not displaying due to heat production error
-Fixed and updated non-autoshrouds in release

Further to Winston's video here's a few picks of some the new parts.

New small and large battery packs & 45 degree RCS thrusters.

wCXXEkjl.jpg

TLfedt2l.jpg

FfX8Ue8l.jpg

But onto more important matters.

KW 2.5.5 Release.

Added all the new sounds. (Including a volume'd down version of the stock launch clamp sound [it's in the extra's folder!] )

Added the new batteries, so you won't have to strap a 9V battery to your space stations all the time.

The 45 degree RCS should aid translation for and people who like octagonal landers.

A alternator rebalance and ship files replaced by sub assemblies (Includes a nice set of premade fairing subassys as well as launch vehicles!).

I also added new install instructions to aid in installation.

F2tKqHV.png

Alternative MEGA Download:https://mega.co.nz/#!sgs1VZZZ!XoWxbSGEKS08J0vs2vWRdVmMct1OWGhUL5Q9EucjqT0

Changelog:

Updated to v2.5.5
-Added new sounds to encompass Fairings, Engines and SRBs
-Added new parts:
-Small Batteries (small and long versions)
-Large Batteries (small and long versions)
-45 size 1 RCS pod
-Rebalanced all alternator values to bring parts inline with stock changes
-Extras folder:
-Non-Autoshroud config files now reside here
-Added a reduced volume version of the stock launch clamp sound (old one was louder than rocket engines)
-Added sub assemblies to replace the ships save files for flexibility
-Fixed emissive for 2m Vesta engine not displaying due to heat production error
-Fixed and updated non-autoshrouds in release

OMG :D well I have to sleep now but I will test those batteries right tomorrow after work

Just installed this for the first time the other day. I'ver been playing KSP since 0.7. I really like the addition of the parts to stock KSP. I don't really do Novapunch, it adds too many parts to game and almost makes stock parts not usable. KW just blends right in, love it.

Do you guys plan on doing any command pods? I've been searching everywhere for 3 stock like pod designs, and will make a request, a 3.75m orion. (currently using resized bobcat orion, interior doesn't work if resized.) And another pair of pods, one soyuz reentry module shaped, 1.25m, and another sharing that mesh, but 2.5m shaped, for use as a base for a "dragon" style pod. I realise these pods are around on these forums, but current examples tend toward modelling the realistic craft they are based on. I'd just like to see a "stock" reimagining of these base parts, in much the same way the mark 1-2 command pod is sorta-like-but-not-exactly the apollo command capsule.

Just updated to 2.5.5, and i gotta say, I love the new battery packs.

Will these new sounds increase the memory usage of this mod? Like, are the sound files loaded at startup or played directly from file? I already cut out the parts I don't use to reduce memory usage, so if it's just a bit more overall, it's probably not an issue. It looked like each sound filed was around 1.5mb or so.

Will these new sounds increase the memory usage of this mod? Like, are the sound files loaded at startup or played directly from file? I already cut out the parts I don't use to reduce memory usage, so if it's just a bit more overall, it's probably not an issue. It looked like each sound filed was around 1.5mb or so.

There shouldn't be a big increase (like pretty much everything in KSP they're loaded on startup), I made sure to cut down each sounds bitrate as much as possible without making them sound like ass.

Do you guys plan on doing any command pods? I've been searching everywhere for 3 stock like pod designs, and will make a request, a 3.75m orion. (currently using resized bobcat orion, interior doesn't work if resized.) And another pair of pods, one soyuz reentry module shaped, 1.25m, and another sharing that mesh, but 2.5m shaped, for use as a base for a "dragon" style pod. I realise these pods are around on these forums, but current examples tend toward modelling the realistic craft they are based on. I'd just like to see a "stock" reimagining of these base parts, in much the same way the mark 1-2 command pod is sorta-like-but-not-exactly the apollo command capsule.

I'm not going to confirm anything as I don't want to project an air of false hope (plus it ruins all the surprise).

We basically have a list of things we want to expand and develop some parts for, it's just a matter of finding the time and being able to execute them to a good enough standard. It's one of the things we learned early on with KW v1, we could kick out engines and parts fast as hell but the quality wasn't too great (it also helped that we had more free time then). KW2 was mostly about redoing it all over to a much higher standard and not creating a mass of similar parts that are just underwhelming. I think one of the best things we managed to learn and advance on was to make all of the engines unique and yet fill a role and function.

Stock batteries were on my pet peeve list, I loved the inline ones but the radial ones just irked me.

Is this ever going to integrate/partner up with procedural fairings? Also, will KW ever release 5m parts? I currently run KW and Novapunch, so I can use 5m parts on my largest launchers.

I'm more than happy to sort something out at some point, I just don't want to adding other peoples addons and various to the mod pack because it opens up a biggish can of worms. I wouldn't mind doing something similar to what CBBP did to those KOSMOS fairings, it would be independent of the main pack though. (see above for answer about 5m)

PS.

Just incase you guys glazed over it before, I highly recommend you install the volume reducing sounds for the stock launch clamps. It solved one of the issues we were having on sound testing, every launch started with a the sound of someone hitting you on the head with an inflatable hammer and because they were grouped up the volume stacked to insane levels.

You guys do such great work, KW has always been one of my must have mods any chance you guys could do a decent 3 man pod instead of that grubby looking stock one, perhaps one that matched youre tanks would be awesome and if you where to throw in a decent CSM it would be win dont want much I know

Kick, are you using just 1 texture for the interstages and the engine shrouds?

I know this would be a bit much to ask, but, if possible, could you tell me which files and in which subdir to delete in order to remove the interstages?

Or will I be removing just the cfgs since they share textures with the engine shrouds?

Edited by smunisto

Kick, are you using just 1 texture for the interstages and the engine shrouds?

I know this would be a bit much to ask, but, if possible, could you tell me which files and in which subdir to delete in order to remove the interstages?

Or will I be removing just the cfgs since they share textures with the engine shrouds?

They all share the same texture, all you'd have to do is go delete the config files.

They're under (KWRocketry\Parts\Structural\KWDecouplerShroud)

There's an issue with the Spaceport download. "Unexpected end of archive error."

I'll have a look into in a minute, it's probably just ~spaceport~ being spaceport.

You can use the mirror though :>.

Well, Tiberion said something about a 3.75m Orion-style pod coming for NovaPunch, but it was supposedly a good deal down the road. I don't know about KW, but I've heard something about a pod called Ceres, don't know anything about it except the name, though, and I think it was scrapped. Not sure about anything regarding that pod, though.