[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Needs a node_attach in the part.cfg. If it doesn't exist, KSP uses the part's origin (0,0,0). Working as designed; if you want to cluster engines, put cubic struts on the bottom and clip the engines onto them (since struts have clipping enabled, you don't even have to turn it on).

The F-1 engine from the other mod that RO supports is capable of surface attach, and it doesn't have a "node_attach" in its .cfg.

i really like stocklike parts, so i made a more stocklike kw 3m titan engine complete with custom normalmap for my own use. its colored after the mainsail!. its not perfect but just a rough draft. like?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: i just noticed i didnt add the shading on the bottom of the nozzle correctly. I also need to darken the 3 "balls" a little and also lighten some of the gray and the orange textures a little. And probably match the nozzle igniter fuel line with eather the "balls"(i like calling them that:P) or the stock fuel line. Or just make it a darker shade of gray. Also some of the redone darker ring details need accompaning darker textures on the bottom

Edited by landeTLS

i really like stocklike parts, so i made a more stocklike kw 3m titan engine complete with custom normalmap for my own use. its colored after the mainsail!. its not perfect but just a rough draft. like?

http://imgur.com/a/rzzaF

If Kyle or Winston allows you to share that, please do so. It looks extremely nice! Are you also planning on doing the other engines?

If Kyle or Winston allows you to share that, please do so. It looks extremely nice! Are you also planning on doing the other engines?

Thanks. Havent planned it no. If i get permission to share it i may make more.

Got bugged description of SRBs in VAB (career mode). Noticed it after most recent update of FAR, but maybe it's not related. RemoteTech 2 and Deadly reentry is also under suspicion since they use module manager (just intuitive idea). Or maybe it was there before, I weren't reading those details after last KWR update.

hkwz.png

3ez8.png

Anyone encountered that before?

Update: got a suggestion that this may be KSP bug due to alt+tabbing. Will test it.

Update 2: restart helped, seems to be game engine bug.

Edited by Mystique

i seem to have encountered an issue with the maverick-V (the 2.5m 1400kn thrust one)... KSP doesn't seem to be obtaining a mass value for it. if I have a maverick on my rocket, it won't display a center of mass, and both mechjeb and kerbal engineer show NaN or -- for the mass, and by extension, overall TWR. everything works fine otherwise, and the mass value and center of mass indicator both return if I take off the maverick.

this doesn't seem to affect any other engines, as it still works with vesta's on, and with titans. (not sure about any others, I don't use the others very often).

9qyPDge.png

UmVuX5T.png

also, I think this is a problem on the B9 side, but I can't seem to get fuel to flow properly from B9 tanks to attached KW tanks, even using fuel ducts. the KW tanks in asparagus transfer to the kw tanks my engines are mounted on just fine, even with the ducts running to the b9 tanks (not too sure how the ducts actually work on the backend, tho). manually transfering fuel works just fine, but standard fuel flow is really wonky, as fuel flows really slow from the top b9 tank (as it normally would, except far slower), but not at all from the lower one.

GUtn5pK.png

DFGkVe9.png

Edited by Commissar
screenshots

HI Guys

I just downloaded and installed the latest version but there is some problem. I've attached my test craft file http://www.zeddal.com/kwtest.zip for you guys to try. Apparently the engine (in this case the kw griffon XX) is loosely attached and I can't turn up to full throttle or risk the integrity to break the engine from the fuel SC-4.

Is it by design or a known issue? My KSP is 0.23 btw.

HI Guys

I just downloaded and installed the latest version but there is some problem. I've attached my test craft file http://www.zeddal.com/kwtest.zip for you guys to try. Apparently the engine (in this case the kw griffon XX) is loosely attached and I can't turn up to full throttle or risk the integrity to break the engine from the fuel SC-4.

Is it by design or a known issue? My KSP is 0.23 btw.

I also have that problem with the titans. they haven't broken off yet, but they float around as if they were held on by rubber bands. they stay on the same plane, but they wobble around...

You'll likely need to attach struts to the engine to keep it stable. Alternately, you could use the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod to generally stiffen things up a bit. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-0-23-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v1-6-Properly-Rigid-Part-Connections-12-29

I think you misunderstand. we're not talking about a decoupler joint (i've been aware of that for a while now), rather the engine directly on the fuel tank.

like this:

Ibak7jw.png

strutting together vertically attached parts is tricky at best...

and if the linkage failed, it would show up in the logs, no? the logs don't show it, and, aside from thrust physics, as far as kerbal is concerned, it's still attached. I've not seen any "structural failure on linkage" messages from the engine-tank interface.

It's a problem with Unity and high thrust engines. It's been there a long while. Apparently when there is only a single attachment joint and a high thrust engine (causing high forces) unity has trouble dealing with it and it causes the wobble. If you strut the engine to the tank, it gives it more connection points and Unity handles it better.

It's a problem with Unity and high thrust engines. It's been there a long while. Apparently when there is only a single attachment joint and a high thrust engine (causing high forces) unity has trouble dealing with it and it causes the wobble. If you strut the engine to the tank, it gives it more connection points and Unity handles it better.

ok, makes sense. seems like unity has trouble with much of kerbal's physics.

I think you are probably right, but, as a new player who like the general idea of KW Rocketry (especially those beautiful fairings), would you please show me how to use strut in this case? I mean the engine is already attached to the fuel tank. What is the proper way to attach struts on them?

Is it possible to add KW engine sounds to other engines? I tried applying the Thor SRB sound to the procedural SRB. It seemed pretty straight forward. I copied the KW part folder containing the sounds into the SRB folder and changed a few lines in the cfg.

[B]sound_srb3 [/B]= engage
[B]sound_srbloop[/B] = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

To the names of the sound files as the KW engines do in their configs. So.. it didn't work. I got no sound at all. Is there something I can do?

Is it possible to add KW engine sounds to other engines? I tried applying the Thor SRB sound to the procedural SRB. It seemed pretty straight forward. I copied the KW part folder containing the sounds into the SRB folder and changed a few lines in the cfg.

[B]sound_srb3 [/B]= engage
[B]sound_srbloop[/B] = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

To the names of the sound files as the KW engines do in their configs. So.. it didn't work. I got no sound at all. Is there something I can do?

This is possible, and I've done it on mine, but you need to make sure that the folder names are exactly identical to the part .cfg name. In the case of the StretchySRB's, you'll have two folders, one called SRB and one called SRBUpper. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell it's not possible to have one sound folder that's shared across parts.

The part cfg's are all in one folder for StretchyTanks unfortunately. Now in KW the folder containing the sounds for the particular engine I want is just named "part" so I copied that into SretchyTank/Part.

So.. do I rename this folder? Or do I have to maybe isolate the parts? If that'd even work.. I can always get rid of the upperSRB too.

The part cfg's are all in one folder for StretchyTanks unfortunately. Now in KW the folder containing the sounds for the particular engine I want is just named "part" so I copied that into SretchyTank/Part.

So.. do I rename this folder? Or do I have to maybe isolate the parts? If that'd even work.. I can always get rid of the upperSRB too.

Simply rename the folder to SRB. And then copy it and name the copy SRBUpper. No need to isolate the parts. Just have a sound folder for each part .cfg name.

I think you are probably right, but, as a new player who like the general idea of KW Rocketry (especially those beautiful fairings), would you please show me how to use strut in this case? I mean the engine is already attached to the fuel tank. What is the proper way to attach struts on them?

Since it's impossible to surface-attach directly on the engine, you'll want to place cubic octagonal struts in symmetry on the bottom of your tank. Then you'll have to connect the Cubic Octagonal Struts to the engine with Strut Connectors. They're massless, so you can use the strong KW ones. They don't actually weigh 1 ton.

You could also just install the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement plugin by ferram, it's really handy and fixes most of the issues. The rockets will be made rigid, but still breakable.

Since it's impossible to surface-attach directly on the engine, you'll want to place cubic octagonal struts in symmetry on the bottom of your tank. Then you'll have to connect the Cubic Octagonal Struts to the engine with Strut Connectors. They're massless, so you can use the strong KW ones. They don't actually weigh 1 ton.

You could also just install the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement plugin by ferram, it's really handy and fixes most of the issues. The rockets will be made rigid, but still breakable.

It's fairly easy to attach from tank to engine, it's what I've done forever. Angle snap helps alot.

6jHgW.jpg

KJR is also a good alternative too though.

Belgarion: uh, wut? They *are* sized just like many Squad parts: 1m/2m/3m, and using rescaleFactor to bring them up to 1.25/2.5/etc.

Remember that when using MODEL nodes rescaleFactor is applied twice* so that's why they're 0.8, 0.8, 0.8 scale in the MODEL node.

*except for root parts on revert.

Please try looking into it before angrily accusing someone of not doing something they are in fact doing.