[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

A third recommendation. These are great little (and big) engines, even if they are a bit unrealistic in design.

I like the NovaPunch 400 thrust nuclear engines. They are large and unwieldy, but very handy if you can fit them somewhere. I'd like to see a few more around that scale, perhaps something with a reactor that provides a bit of juice too?

I can't seem to KW rockets on the pad the 2.5, as soon as it loads it shows me the sky, blue shift, or otherwise totally wacky with the log being filled with Null Exception. if I manage to revert to the VAB then there is no parent part and with no hierarchy, that or none of the button work, not even if I manage to get back to the main menu. Before I installed Redux, (which I have clean installed KW and Redux many times now btw) it would crash before I even got to the launch pad.

Edit: nevermind, everything seems fine now, when I didn't change anything.... but I suspect it has to do with the tapered R-7 side tanks plus autofairings and who knows.

Edited by Read have Read

a question on the redux what if u made them colorable by kerbal paint and such? would that cause there ram usage to go back up?

I don't see why it should, as you're changing only the colors. A texture that is X pixels by Y pixels, will take up Z space on the disk and in memory, no matter what color it is, assuming ALL other variables in the file are kept constant. (Bit depth, file type, compression ratio if applicable, metadata) which should not change anyhow unless you tell them to.

First, you need the texture files, and to be able to open them in photoshop (or at least get a new file started with matching dimensions). I use the MBM converter for unity for this (it's on the forum somewhere).

Once you've got them open, it is easy.

Make a new layer, fill it in with black (may want to set layer opacity here so you can see what you're working on.)

In the red channel, select the area you want to have the base coat and fill it in.

Repeat for the other two channels, making two new coats.

Set layers green/blue to additive.

Save as png and remove file extension (mypart_Paint)

Put into KerbPaint folder with the other _Paint files.

Add to cfg file (KerbPaint.cfg or new cfg file). (You'll have to experiment with types of shaders/deep replace and the other options here to get it to work nicely for you).

are the instuctions for kerbal paint as u see it doesnt add anything it just changes the overlay of the texture to be able to have its color changed. and it doesnt load anything extra from what i can tell from kerbalpain topic

Man, I couldn't get the full pack to work with everything else, too much memory usage forced me to use redux. Works fine on linux due to it being 64bit though(w/ .PNG patch)

After doing some testing and acting upon it, the next version of KW to come out will be under the memory usage of the current full redux version with mostly standard texture sizes kept.

It should definitely fix the problems with the standard version and the file sizes are a little bit less too so it won't be a massive download. Texture 'size-ability' is conserved but editability is abit of a mess that i'll address soon enough.

Hey Kyle,

How difficult would it be to add sepatraons that are built into nose cones similar to how the Space Shuttle SRBs had?

I'll look into it tomorrow once I've finished checking over various bits and bobs for the next update.

Thanks, its just one of those tiny things that i think you help my designs alot. also, the thrust should be angled down and away from the attachment side... thanks so much and I would also love to see you working on the spaceplane that was mentioned in the old thread before the wipe.

Hey Kyle,

How difficult would it be to add sepatraons that are built into nose cones similar to how the Space Shuttle SRBs had?

They would need to be separate parts from the actual SRBs, or you lose the ability to stage the SRBs (All activatable modules per part are added to a single icon in the staging list, so if you have 2 different engine modules, or an engine and a decoupler, hitting spacebar to activate one activates them all.)

Better solution might be to fake it with decoupler strength. Could probably even use a rocket sound FX.

Kickasskyle?

It doesn't sound unreasonable.

Tiberion, I realize that, I want separate nose cones that have the decouplers built in...

I'm probably just going to end up changing the '1.5' SRB noses to become seperatrons this as they're a separate part. I'll see how it works later.

Hey, what's the Ceres pod that I heard about? Is it an abandoned project? Is it a work in progress? Is it a conspiracy against the monopoly of the mark 1-2 capsule?

EDIT: It's a little unsettling... this thread hasn't had a post in, like, more than 5 HOURS now. That's very weird.

Edited by wasmic

KW2.5.2 is here.

Heres the changelog

Updated to v2.5.2
-Entire pack re-re-exported reducing the memory impacts of the entire modpack to roughly 265MB (less than the previous redux versions memory impact).
-Added example rockets to the spaceport download (hopefully)
-Added a new example rocket
-Rebalanced Engines:
-2m Griffon G8D increased by 200 thrust
-2m Maverick V increased by 100 thrust
-2m Vesta VR-9D increased by 100 thrust
-3m GriffonXX increased by 1200 thrust, reduced by 2 Mass, reduced by 70 Heat
-3m Titan I increased by 900 thrust
-3m WildcatXR increased by 200 thrust
-Fixed RCS 1m block vectors so they're horizontal/vertical
-Fixed the 1.25m SRB nosecone so it'll actually load
-Added separation motors to the 1.25m SRB nosecone

Basically memory usage should be alot less. The entire pack should be about 180MB's unpacked from a 40MB download too so that's always nice.

I've gone over and tweaked the balance on some of the engines too and as a result the 3m engines should have abit more clout.

Download is in the OP

Edited by Kickasskyle

Thanks for the update! I'm really glad to see the engines reworked! I had just tried to get my 386 ton mining ship off the ground and couldn't find a nice looking KW engine for the job. I ended up having to put on a pile of 1.25 engines for a massive jump in part count. Now I should be able to drop the count by at least 20! (I like to go prepared for anything...)

I find the 2.5 to 1.25 tank adapter really stretched for what I want to use if for. That aside, I really do love the aesthetics of KW.

EDIT: Just checked the 2.2.2 changelogs. Good God! the 3.75m stuff got some kick now! Like it wasn't already destroying my rockets on launch or anything, No!

Edited by Captain Sierra

KW2.5.2 is here.

-snip-

Basically memory usage should be alot less. The entire pack should be about 180MB's unpacked from a 40MB download too so that's always nice.

I've gone over and tweaked the balance on some of the engines too and as a result the 3m engines should have abit more clout.

Download is in the OP

If you could please indulge me for a minute, were there any particular texture settings (either feeding into, or during exporting) that caused the initial high memory issue, or helped with alleviating it, since there seem to be a lot of quirks in the way Unity, and thus KSP handles certain textures?

Edited by NoMrBond