[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

This is GREAT! Just one thing, could you do a release with the old fairings please. I found that it was more enjoyable making things that had to fit inside the fairings

look in the extras folder

This is GREAT! Just one thing, could you do a release with the old fairings please. I found that it was more enjoyable making things that had to fit inside the fairings
look in the extras folder

Just make sure you get FAR if you want to use those

To clarify, they no longer provide shielding in the new stock aerodynamics and that's why we moved them to Extras.

1.0 introduced proper node snapping, in that node directions actually matter now. In addition to having to set a reasonable direction for nodes now, a problem (bug) with this is with nodes that are close together, like the KW interstage fairings and its inner node. The SEQUENCE of the node definitions in the part CFG actually comes into play here when attaching new parts, as KSP tries to fit a new part to the LAST node in the CFG that is close. Still with me?

This means that since the inner node definition is AFTER the bottom node definition, it will actually try to snap to this instead (even though it's the wrong way), but since this is indeed the wrong way, it becomes red and won't snap.

SO...until Squad fixes this bug, a workaround for the interstage parts is to simply put the interstage inner node definition before the bottom node definition in the part CFG so that the bottom node is selected first when snapping. :-)

Edited by LostOblivion

If youve not read the last 2 pages, you should know that the unofficial patch breaks existing saves that use unpatched KW parts (cuz of the RD tree changes in the patch)! Only use it if you want to start new carreer save(s)!

Thanks for the warning. I was aware of the potential problem (I did not have any ship in orbit using KW parts, my save in 1.0.2 is quite fresh and I did wait until there was a save moment to do the change)

Thanks for the warning. I was aware of the potential problem (I did not have any ship in orbit using KW parts, my save in 1.0.2 is quite fresh and I did wait until there was a save moment to do the change)

Okay :) Hope you like the changes, if anything unexpected happens, let me know so I can look in it.

EDIT: for anyone looking for it, the patch can be found on p246 of this thread.

If youve not read the last 2 pages, you should know that the unofficial patch breaks existing saves that use unpatched KW parts (cuz of the RD tree changes in the patch)! Only use it if you want to start new carreer save(s)!

You might want to consider changing that -- it's probably better to reassign the parts to existing nodes rather than (re)making the tech tree and breaking people's in progress games. It also may conflict with people running Community Tech Tree which is pretty much anyone who's using a mod from RoverDude, Nertea or whatever reboot Interstellar is in now.

You might want to consider changing that -- it's probably better to reassign the parts to existing nodes rather than (re)making the tech tree and breaking people's in progress games. It also may conflict with people running Community Tech Tree which is pretty much anyone who's using a mod from RoverDude, Nertea or whatever reboot Interstellar is in now.

The parts are assigned to existing nodes, with experimental rocketry being the only new node made by the patch. Its ID is the very same Community Tech Tree uses, so its not conflicting, as far as i know. The problem (in my theory) emerges when people have ships in orbit that use parts that become unavailable to them with the patch.

Could the possible conflict with CTT not be resolved by adding “:NEEDS[!CommunityTechTree]†to that part of the patch?

Checked the MM wiki and the CTT thread, seems to be a feasible solution. Im updating the unofficial patch right now. If someone uses CTT with the unofficial patch, please test it for me, and report the results. The change should not be a save breaker, but until reports of success, please make a backup of your save, and your version of the patch before testing.

The CTT compatible unofficial patch can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqxy05hp3uhfgr0/KWPatch.cfg?dl=0

Edit: Also fixed some possible loading order issues in this release. Nothing changed in my game, but its better be sure the loading order is always right.

Edited by Darkway

On a "new" save (installed KW+unofficial patch onto existing new 1.02 save with CTT), I see no issues with the updated patch.

Okay, thanks very much. We can say then, that the current version works with, and without CTT too. (Im slowly learning how to create proper MM patches :) ) Have fun with the patch, guys :)

I'm doing a stock parts only playthrough (engines, tanks) and that petal adapter looks awesome.

So I downloaded it and rescaled it to stock sizes. However the first decouple doesn't seem to work, unless I'm not using it right.

Also after successfully docking with the lander inside and then decoupling it my RCS stopped working completely, even after I tried turning it on and off etc.

I'm sorry for not fixing these things myself and releasing an update, I'm just not really in the swing of things with KSP right now and trying to fix a few things is just driving me mad.

1.0 broke a lot of things, for example none of the adapter shrouds will connect properly any more because of the changes made to nodes, and I can't seem to find a satisfactory fix for them.

I didn't even realise this until after we released this update because we kind of rushed it out a few hours before Kyle left to go on holiday, if I had only had a chance to do some more testing I probably would have insisted on postponing it because so much is broken or untested.

If I understand your diagram correctly, this is indeed the system we currently use - engines have two nodes at the top, one serves to connect the engine to a fuel tank and the other allows a shroud to be attached.

However, now that nodes have to be the same orientation as their reciprocal node in order to work, it becomes more difficult to have nodes that serve multiple purposes.

You end up having to stack nodes inside each other and then they have a tendency not to work at all.

Just wanted to offer a tidbit I had to figure out with my mods too (and it's a bit of a forehead slapper):

The nodes do indeed interfere with each other, however, you can specify the order of precedence in the CFG file by the order you define the nodes. If you know what order players will attach things (which you would have to enforce, sadly), then order the nodes in the CFG in the reverse order of that.

That is, the last node definition takes highest precedence when trying to stick two parts together in the VAB.

EDIT: Now I see someone else mentioned this. lol. Oh well. :)

Edited by NecroBones

Just wanted to offer a tidbit I had to figure out with my mods too (and it's a bit of a forehead slapper):

The nodes do indeed interfere with each other, however, you can specify the order of precedence in the CFG file by the order you define the nodes. If you know what order players will attach things (which you would have to enforce, sadly), then order the nodes in the CFG in the reverse order of that.

That is, the last node definition takes highest precedence when trying to stick two parts together in the VAB.

EDIT: Now I see someone else mentioned this. lol. Oh well. :)

Thank you.

I've been having an issue with heating. none of the large engines seem to be able to get payloads into orbit, because they overheat and explode long before the apoapsis gets above 70k, unless I do an extremely steep ascent and get there quickly. Any way to fix this?

FYI, the 1.25m engine balance is out of whack. In 1.0, the LV-T30 and LV-T45 engines had their ISPs dramatically reduced.

LV-T30:

Vac: 370 -> 300

Atmo: 320 -> 280

LV-T45:

Vac: 370 -> 320

Atmo: 320 -> 270

As you can see, with the K&W Maverick engine having an ISP of 300/280, it's basically just a 'Super-Reliant' now, when before it was highly inefficient.

I actually think ALL the engines got ISP nerfs, because of the new atmosphere, so they all probably need to be looked at. I haven't dug very deep though.

Edited by Frostiken

@marchingknight11

If you just read back a single page, you would find the solution for your problems with the Unofficial Patch:

• Heat generation balanced among all engines
  • Fuel tank costs balanced
  • Engines, and fuel tanks integrated into the stock RD tree, compatible with CTT
  • Numerous other bug fixes, like fixes for missing parts from the RD tree

Don't use it with existing KW rocketry part using saves, cuz the RD changes can, and will break your save (you lose all crafts on flight that uses KW parts), for carreer mode its advisable to start a new save anyways.

Download link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqxy05hp3uhfgr0/KWPatch.cfg?dl=0

Drop it into the KW Rocketry folder in GameData, and have fun. ModuleManager is needed for the patch to work!

EDIT: ISP changes are not included in the patch, sorry for the false info. I removed those after the KW official ISP update.

Edited by Darkway

I'm having a bit of trouble with the installation. I have it all in like I've done a thousand times but the parts aren't showing up. I have put it in a folder named KW to keep it all together, again I've done this before. Any ideas?

I'm having a bit of trouble with the installation. I have it all in like I've done a thousand times but the parts aren't showing up. I have put it in a folder named KW to keep it all together, again I've done this before. Any ideas?

Your folder structure needs to match this:

GameData/
KWRocketry/
Flags/
Parts/
Soundbank/

Anything else will not work. You should never rename, restructure or in any way change the folder structure of a mod. Many mods expect their assets to be in a specific location relative to GameData; if you move or rename anything the game can't find the asset.

Hey, I despise the new fairing system. Is there any way to use the old fairings from this mod?

Not with stock aerodynamics. You can get procedural fairings though, and there are a few KW texture packs around for that too.

This mod does not work with the stagerecovery aspect of Kerbal Construction Time. I told the Author and he said this:

"It sounds like a configuration issue in KW Rocketry. Try recovering a part that isn't a fuel tank or an engine. They're likely still using the old propulsion category for fuel tanks and engines, which hasn't existed since 0.25. If you look in the save file you'll likely see them listed in the storage. They just don't show up in the GUI because it doesn't have the deprecated Propulsion category."