[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

The majority of the engines now have a cloned top node for this very reason, you can place shrouds/etc on them without triggering the automatic shroud. This was the design intent for the petal adapter.

Bigger rockets enabling you to lift heavier cargo into orbit isn't anything I wouldn't expect, if that weren't the case I'd question what their use.

Generally speaking the way we've setup the balance for KW rocketry at the moment relies on the thrust to weight ratio of the engines increasing relative to their size/role. To counter this they have a drop off in their ISP.

If you wanted to point at overpowered engines, the stock KR-2L actually has a higher thrust/weight ratio than the griffon century and a higher ISP to boot. But stocks in my opinion, dubious balance direction is a subject for another day.

Thank you for the answer, i was just wondering because it works so well and i don't want to use over powered parts because it's kinda like cheating :)

There is one, it's right next to the Griffon called the Titan V. Why would you need another 5m upper stage rocket? Do your payloads never slim out to under 5m? If you were desperate for more 5m engines just use Tweakscale on other engines. I think the selection is fine, I'd welcome more of course, as I would more tanks and/or paint schemes (current and new), but the mod doesn't NEED anything. It's pretty much perfect.

EDIT: To those who believe the Griffon is overpowered, you do realise it's based on the Rocketdyne F-1 cluster that launched the Saturn V, right? One of the largest rockets ever created? With 60s technology? If your launch vehicle doesn't require it's full power it does have a thrust limiter, or just swap it out entirely.

(I don't know anything about rockets, also for those names)

It just worked so well, so i was wondering, thanks

I have a question the Petal adapter. It currently only supports one configuration for the lander and I would prefer a bit more flexibility. Would it be possible to have it be similar to the fairing nose cones? What I am thinking is you would have the base, the petals would replace the cone and then you would have the sides. The functionality of it should be able to stay as it currently is, but this would allow for a taller lander. I don't know if this is possible, just thinking out loud here.

There is one, it's right next to the Griffon called the Titan V. Why would you need another 5m upper stage rocket? Do your payloads never slim out to under 5m? If you were desperate for more 5m engines just use Tweakscale on other engines. I think the selection is fine, I'd welcome more of course, as I would more tanks and/or paint schemes (current and new), but the mod doesn't NEED anything. It's pretty much perfect.

EDIT: To those who believe the Griffon is overpowered, you do realise it's based on the Rocketdyne F-1 cluster that launched the Saturn V, right? One of the largest rockets ever created? With 60s technology? If your launch vehicle doesn't require it's full power it does have a thrust limiter, or just swap it out entirely.

Actually no, I am building pretty big and elaborate bases and the rocket never slims out. Its 5m from top to bottom so a 5m upper stage or transfer stage would be welcome for transferring large payloads. I can use tweak scale of course, I was just asking them to keep it in mind for the future.

To those who believe the Griffon is overpowered, you do realise it's based on the Rocketdyne F-1 cluster that launched the Saturn V, right? One of the largest rockets ever created? With 60s technology? If your launch vehicle doesn't require it's full power it does have a thrust limiter, or just swap it out entirely.

My latest project needs them both and uses them well. :cool:

Kz6WcPb.png

Can I request just one more engine to the large array of wonderful engines that come with KW. I think one more 5m engine is needed. An upper stage 5m if you will? I have been doing some heavy lifting over the last few days and it seems that an upper stage 5m is exactly whats missing. Obviously I know another part update is way in the future but maybe its something to add to the list in the future?

This is planned and I was going to do some model mockups today to decide on a design.

that's a big rocket, cost?

As configured*, 341k. Kerbal Megabank financing is available.

*Optional life support system also available at a substantial additional cost. See dealer for details. Restrictions may apply.

What's the proper way to build the interstage fairing off the Titan V? I'm seeing a gap between the top body of the Titan engine and the top of the 5m fairing. I'm using manual shrouds.

Also, the shrouds don't separate when staged?

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/23960773162976567/E0F6ECA974A4D9CBDAC4E60B4B7A3C545ECDCE81/

This is a bug that i've found in the v2.6. There is a problem problem when you use the 5m separator. Tomorrow I'll post some example and more detail.

I made a few fixes and tweaks, so it's up over 360k now. But there are several older parts that don't have a value attached. Creative accounting at its best!

I've seen people talking about auto-shrouds not going away when decoupling but I still haven't seen a solution. I recall the previous version of KWR the shroud would only appear in the VAB when you attached something to the engine. Now, the shroud is around the engine the moment I pull it out of the part catalog. I didn't see any errors in the debug window when the stage below was dropped

LrRy9Gu.jpg

Would it be possible to get some low profile engines? The smaller engines are great, but something half the height would be great for landers that have a lower center of mass. Novapunch and AIES have good parts, but something in the KW style would be better.

The interstage decouplers are not working if the top node of the decoupler is not attached. I have worked around this on my install simply by changing the eplosiveNodeId in the cfg files to be isOmniDecoupler=true for all the interstage parts so that they act like the stack separators and eject from both top and bottom.

Ok, I'm trying to do this, but I can't for the life of me find the damn part files! Here's a snapshot of my "strut" directory:

Clipboard02_zpsaace32d0.jpg~original

No KWDecouplerShroud anywhere on the KSP folder.

Not entirely sure what's causing this, but occasionally some of the engines refuse to take fuel from tanks they're directly attached to. the gauge on the staging bar is empty but the tank is full and the engine refuses to fire.

Not entirely sure what's causing this, but occasionally some of the engines refuse to take fuel from tanks they're directly attached to. the gauge on the staging bar is empty but the tank is full and the engine refuses to fire.

I was running into this problem with the Hypergolic Service Propulsion System and realized that for some reason in the newer version of KW it was changed to use monopropellant instead of LF/OX. Which doesn't make any sense to me:

A hypergolic rocket propellant combination used in a rocket engine is one where the propellants spontaneously ignite when they come into contact with each other. The two propellant components usually consist of a fuel and an oxidizer.

Now I'm sad cause I really liked that engine ;.;

Well, LF/OX seem to represent kerolox in KSP. Monoprop seems to be some sort of hypergolic fuel. Most of the RCS systems in use today are bipropellant, only the smallest ones are monoprop.

I am having an issue! :(

I couldn't find my issue by searching through the forum. After doing a fresh install of KSP and installing this mod every time I try to attach a KW rocket Engine to any type of fuselage it will not connect. I will be building a rocket using KSP Stock Engines just fine, then I tried to attach a KW Engine and it won't attach. When I select another KSP Stock engine it does the same thing. After trying to attach the KW Engine it will not let me save/launch/load/ or Exit the Hangar. I have to exit out of KSP and reboot it. It will not attach to any part of my rocket after trying to attach any KW Engine. I've used both KW Fuselages and Stock fuselages with the same result.

Any help is appreciated.

I was running into this problem with the Hypergolic Service Propulsion System and realized that for some reason in the newer version of KW it was changed to use monopropellant instead of LF/OX. Which doesn't make any sense to me:

Now I'm sad cause I really liked that engine ;.;

It's more that MonoPropellant is inaptly named as 99% of reaction control systems IRL use a two-part hypergolic propellant, as did the engine the SPS was based on.

And by 99% do you mean "99% of crewed spacecraft"? Satellites still largely use actual monopropellants, to the best of my knowledge. Mostly hydrazine (although there are various "green" proposals). Today's GPS birds are NTO/(some-hydrazine-deriv), but lots others are hydrazine.

And by 99% do you mean "99% of crewed spacecraft"? Satellites still largely use actual monopropellants, to the best of my knowledge. Mostly hydrazine (although there are various "green" proposals). Today's GPS birds are NTO/(some-hydrazine-deriv), but lots others are hydrazine.

I am referring to manned and large unmanned spacecraft which is relevant to KSP because that's what RCS is generally used for.

I've seen people talking about auto-shrouds not going away when decoupling but I still haven't seen a solution. I recall the previous version of KWR the shroud would only appear in the VAB when you attached something to the engine. Now, the shroud is around the engine the moment I pull it out of the part catalog. I didn't see any errors in the debug window when the stage below was dropped

(pic in original post)

Still haven't seen a solution to this. For now, I'm just using a Procedural Fairings interstage to shroud the engine, which works well