[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

I had to share this, and since it's mostly KW parts, I'll stick it here. I give you the Eve + Gilly Explorer, by far the most insane thing I've ever done in a single launch!

The inner payload consists of two science satellite (have two orbital science missions from DMagic, from Eve and Gilly orbits) and a small rover designed to do ground science on Gilly.

8LCkDpUl.png

The 2.5m inner payload fairing on. The interplanetary stage has around 6K dV, as well as signal relay capabilities.

lOPDpi3l.png

The outer expanded 5m fairing on. The inner fairing tip clips through but doesn't explode when decoupled, so It'll have to do, not sure how else I could have done it?

hKrvPc7l.png

The whole thing on the launchpad. 5m core and two 2.5m boosters.

JmBmNMGl.png

8600 Thrust, 532 Tons, 142 Parts and 8 Stages!

[edit]

Actually scratch all that, the outer fairing rips the inner fairing apart and makes everything explode, but only in orbit, when testing on Kerbin with or without hacked gravity it works fine *sigh* Back to the drawing board :(

Dear Kyle and Winston

Can we have shroud functionality on the interstage size adapters, so that they split in half as well as decouple? That'd be REALLY really useful and swell in so many ways. I'll buy you cookies ;)

Edited by BadManiac
Fail

Not sure if this has been reported already or not, but the cost of the ST-25 2.5m side tank is inconsistent with other fuel tank costs. For other tanks in both stock and KW the cost of the fuel ends up being 23% of the total cost of the tank. For the ST-25 the fuel costs is 51.6% of the total cost (i.e. the "dry cost" is abnormally low). This results in said tank costing less than a Rockomax X200-32 despite holding substantially more fuel. To match the cost ratio of other tanks its total cost should be 12,960.

Not sure if this has been reported already or not, but the cost of the ST-25 2.5m side tank is inconsistent with other fuel tank costs. For other tanks in both stock and KW the cost of the fuel ends up being 23% of the total cost of the tank. For the ST-25 the fuel costs is 51.6% of the total cost (i.e. the "dry cost" is abnormally low). This results in said tank costing less than a Rockomax X200-32 despite holding substantially more fuel. To match the cost ratio of other tanks its total cost should be 12,960.

I see what I did when I input the cost, if you go in the part file you'll notice that entryCost is what the actual cost should be. I'll change it for the next release. Cheers.

Dear Kyle and Winston

Can we have shroud functionality on the interstage size adapters, so that they split in half as well as decouple? That'd be REALLY really useful and swell in so many ways. I'll buy you cookies ;)

I'll knock up a prototype and see how it rolls, I have a feeling it would cause problems if for some reason someone had them in parallel with another set of stacks.

I see what I did when I input the cost, if you go in the part file you'll notice that entryCost is what the actual cost should be. I'll change it for the next release. Cheers.

I'll knock up a prototype and see how it rolls, I have a feeling it would cause problems if for some reason someone had them in parallel with another set of stacks.

Um, while you're at it, would a low-profile 3.75m docking port be a tall order? They end up comprising a significant amount of a rocket's length if build in orbit. I have four of them on a three-part rocket right now and the docking ports, alone, are probably 30% of the overall length.

Hey there, I'm having a relatively annoying issue where my 3.75m expanded fairings dont blow apart when staged. I'm running .24.2/32 bit/Wndows 8.1 and I dont have any tweakable mods. This may be an issue with all the fairings, I'm not sure, the only one I've tried to use is the 3.75m expanded so far. Is there a height limit for these to work properly? My build is using a fairing thats 3 panels high plus the nose thirds. I get into orbit and hit the stage with the fairing base and the fairing in it and the ship inside just floats gently around inside the fairing and then clips through the nose cone. Any guidance would be great.

Also, I love this mod otherwise. It looks great and adds needed variety to the mix of parts.

Thanks.

Hey there, I'm having a relatively annoying issue where my 3.75m expanded fairings dont blow apart when staged. I'm running .24.2/32 bit/Wndows 8.1 and I dont have any tweakable mods. This may be an issue with all the fairings, I'm not sure, the only one I've tried to use is the 3.75m expanded so far. Is there a height limit for these to work properly? My build is using a fairing thats 3 panels high plus the nose thirds. I get into orbit and hit the stage with the fairing base and the fairing in it and the ship inside just floats gently around inside the fairing and then clips through the nose cone. Any guidance would be great.

Also, I love this mod otherwise. It looks great and adds needed variety to the mix of parts.

Thanks.

You probably already know that when you've placed on the fairing halves/thirds more than one new icon appears in the staging setup, (the halves/thirds look like radial decouplers). In order to separate the fairing halves/thirds rather than the base you need to locate those new icons in your staging setup. Stage those first before activating the fairing base's stage. For instance, the 3.75m fairing base has thirds so there should be a stack of 3 radial decoupler looking images in your staging setup that are at least in the stage before you activate the fairing base. Sorry if this sounds confusing, hope this helps.

Edited by modbox555

No that makes perfect sense. I recognized that the base shows up as a stack decoupler and the fairings show up as a triple group of radial decouplers, I just put them all in the same stage. I'll try separating them into two stages and see if it works. Thanks!

No that makes perfect sense. I recognized that the base shows up as a stack decoupler and the fairings show up as a triple group of radial decouplers, I just put them all in the same stage. I'll try separating them into two stages and see if it works. Thanks!

No problem! :) Its the whole putting them in the same stage part that makes the fairing base disconnect before the fairing thirds can separate since they're disconnected before they get activated.

Actually I've been thinking about it and, uhm, I'm not sure how it would work. There'd have to be some structure inside the adapter to hold the upper and lower stages in place when you decouple the shrouds. Not sure how that would be achieved.

Procedural fairings does what I was trying to to by letting me select the base size and the top size of the fairing, that way I can set the top to 1.25m which leaves a hole where my inner 1.25m fairing fits through. Not sure that works with the way you've got fairings and shrouds set up in KW.

Edited by BadManiac

Auto shroud says no :mad:

The only time that happened to me I had hot rockets (and all the other dependencies from the renaissance pack) installed. Maybe they don't like each other.

I installed KW Rocketry and now the parts are doubleing up. So Now I have 2 of every part. :\ Anyone know how to fix this?

Have you already tried to delete the KW folder and do a clean reinstall?

Can anyone tell me what is happening here, the Griffon says 5m, but it appears to be 3.75m. Is Tweak Scale causing this?

a>

I was having the same issue, but with many KW parts. Turns out it is TweakScale. You can just delete GameData/TweakScale/KW_TweakScale.cfg for an easy temp fix. It disables TweakScale from all KW parts, but it lets you use them again.

i am sure this has been asked before but have you guys ever considered doing a command capsule? Something unique to the KW name, an amalgamation of the current command capsule concepts, a stock alike capsule? I mean besides maybe utility parts i.s parachutes, lights, solar panels, etc. a command capsule is the only thing missing.

Edited by sp1989

Im getting these gaps between fairings, these are 1.25 but i tried extended and 2.5 and they all do it. Am i doing it wrong?

I have other mods too, so it might not be a kw rocketry problem anyways. Any ideas?

Known bug with the latest Kerbal Engineer. See details in that thread.

Ok all of my engine shrouds are now gone? I had them before I started setting up a DMP sever. I used the same GameData folder, copy an pasted it and I noticed yesterday while running some tests that the shrouds went missing..... Any ideas on what happened?

This in the cfg for the Maverick 1D that I have in my GameData folder

// --- asset parameters ---

MODEL

{

model = KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/1mMaverick1D/KW_1mEngine_Maverick1D_M

scale = 0.8, 0.8, 0.8

}

scale = 0.1

MODEL

{

model = KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW_Auto_1mMavShroud

scale = 0.8, 0.8, 0.8

}

It looks like it has the line for the shroud there. Do I need to keep the inline KW fairings because I did delete them?

Edited by uncle natzer

Ok all of my engine shrouds are now gone? I had them before I started setting up a DMP sever. I used the same GameData folder, copy an pasted it and I noticed yesterday while running some tests that the shrouds went missing..... Any ideas on what happened?

Check that you actually have KW installed correctly. Model nodes require that parts be installed in the exact manner the modded intended. In this case it means the cfg is expecting a model to exist as 'GameData/KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW_Auto_1mMavShroud.mu'. Anything else will lead to sorrow.