[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Just did some quick dirty rescale stuff ( err not very quick actually, try-n-error for the right scale and tweaking attach nodes are not quick :P) to get myself a 5-3.75m butt-plate \o/ not perfect match but enough for myself.

Shot5839.jpg

Hey, what's the Ceres pod that I heard about? Is it an abandoned project? Is it a work in progress? Is it a conspiracy against the monopoly of the mark 1-2 capsule?

Hello? Yes, I'm bumping my own post, but I'm just so curious.

If you could please indulge me for a minute, were there any particular texture settings (either feeding into, or during exporting) that caused the initial high memory issue, or helped with alleviating it, since there seem to be a lot of quirks in the way Unity, and thus KSP handles certain textures?

The conclusion of my testing was basically that .TGA for some reason or another has 4-5x the impact compared to the equivalent .TGA part.

I ended up loading .MBM textures/speculars and .PNG normals and emissives in tandem to create the best blend of low ram usage and not having to upload 400mb.

The texture reduction pack is up, seems to save about 190mb RAM for me exactly. Let me know in my textures thread if there's any major wonkiness that needs fixin'.

Cheers.

Get 'er HERE

I put your pack in the OP as per our discussion.

Nice, that you are back,but where do I get the decryption key the mega site wants ? Or can I download the mod from a different site, like starport?

Decryption key is in the actual link, I have no idea how you managed to mess clicking that up. As far as spaceport goes click the massive download image in the OP.

or http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-1-kw-rocketry-overhauled/

Your work is excellent. Thanks!

If possible, is there any chance for parachutes to be added to SRB nosecone? I'm currently strapping radials on the side.

I just added separation motors to the SRB nosecone, sadly it's not a swiss army knife so I can't load up everything in it.

Hello? Yes, I'm bumping my own post, but I'm just so curious.

~~~~

Every texture is converted to DDS during the initial loading.

How do you know that? I'm asking because I'm playing KSP in Linux with open source drivers just fine, and these drivers can't touch the .dds format even with a 2m pole due to the patent encumbered S3TC compression algorithm, so I doubt Unity is using dds internally (at least not in linux).

How do you know that? I'm asking because I'm playing KSP in Linux with open source drivers just fine, and these drivers can't touch the .dds format even with a 2m pole due to the patent encumbered S3TC compression algorithm, so I doubt Unity is using dds internally (at least not in linux).

You can test this if you can see your RAM usage. Load the game with just .png parts, then load the game with identical .tga or .mbm parts. Notice how the RAM usage doesn't vary by more than a MB or two, even though the difference in texture size is massive when sitting on your HD.

.dds or not, it is still reconstituting the texture to something massive based purely on texture dimensions/channels. The explanation I got in another thread matches the results i get from experimentation, so even if the terminology or causation attribution is wrong, the results are the same.

.dds is a file format which is structured so DirectX can convert between it and the internal representation for textures used by the graphics card very quickly. What's likely happening in KSP/Unity is that Unity loads the texture file and converts it to a format which it can give to DirectX/OpenGL. That format could be .dds for DirectX, I don't know how OpenGL handles textures, but it likely has it's prefered format analog to .dds. Bottom line is, no matter what file format you choose for the texture, KSP likely uses the same data format for all textures with the same renderer, so any difference in RAM usage result from differing conversion artifacts and/or bugs in the converter. Actually, I'm not sure if KSP even needs to keep the texture in RAM after it's loaded into the graphic cards own memory...but I'm no game developer.

You can test this if you can see your RAM usage. Load the game with just .png parts, then load the game with identical .tga or .mbm parts. Notice how the RAM usage doesn't vary by more than a MB or two, even though the difference in texture size is massive when sitting on your HD.

.dds or not, it is still reconstituting the texture to something massive based purely on texture dimensions/channels. The explanation I got in another thread matches the results i get from experimentation, so even if the terminology or causation attribution is wrong, the results are the same.

Then I will ask to use the proper term, Unity uses an unknown internal format, not DDS. Is a bit of a deal for me because open source drivers can't support it and I don't like anything that remotely implies that KSP is using it.

When I updated to 2.5, everything worked fine (given the High RAM usage and lag), then once updating to 2.5.2, I suddenly no longer have the engines. I deleted my 2.5 install and installed 2.5.2 cleanly. I've tried reinstalling KW from both the Spaceport and MEGA lnks, any idea what's going on?

EDIT: In all my installations, I've left the auto-shroud config folder next to the parts folder, and the config folder has the engines inside of the file structure as well, could this cause some weird conflicts? Testing it now.

EDIT2: Actually, I've found a more likely culprit than the alternative part.cfgs, I still have the Sonambulic Aerospace pack from a few KW versions ago. I forgot to remove it from my main KSP installation (I have KSP on two different drives and only removed the SA pack from one.)

Still no dice. the log shows all the KW models and textures are loading in, but when it tries to compile several of the parts, it gives me this:

[LOG 11:02:11.522] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KW Rocketry/Parts/Engines/1mWildcat5/part/KW1mengineWildCatV'

[ERR 11:02:11.523] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/1mWildcat5/KW_1mEngine_Wildcat5_M' as model does not exist

[ERR 11:02:11.525] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'KWRocketry/Parts/Structural/KWDecouplerShroud/KW_Auto_1mWildcatShroud' as model does not exist

[ERR 11:02:11.526] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 11:02:11.526] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 11:02:11.527] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Full KW part compile log sequence here

Edited by Cleric2145

Downloaded 25.2 and love the new adaptors. May I make a request, would it be possible for KW to work on a high capacity command module and possible some station modules?

I would also love this. What we need for these 3 meter parts are a big 3 meter capsule to hold 4 or 5 kerbals, possibly 6 if it seems reasonable :P

I would also love this. What we need for these 3 meter parts are a big 3 meter capsule to hold 4 or 5 kerbals, possibly 6 if it seems reasonable :P

The Boeing CST-10 Apollo-Capsule-On-Steroids Lookalike seats 7. Not at all unreasonable. :D

The KOSMOS and FuzTek Expansion station modules are pretty-much awesome space station modules, between them. KW Rocketry is about Rockets, so I'd prefer to see more awesome rocket stuffs :D The new stuff, especially the slopey Russian-style side booster tanks, are awesome :D

When I updated to 2.5, everything worked fine (given the High RAM usage and lag), then once updating to 2.5.2, I suddenly no longer have the engines. I deleted my 2.5 install and installed 2.5.2 cleanly. I've tried reinstalling KW from both the Spaceport and MEGA lnks, any idea what's going on?

EDIT: In all my installations, I've left the auto-shroud config folder next to the parts folder, and the config folder has the engines inside of the file structure as well, could this cause some weird conflicts? Testing it now.

EDIT2: Actually, I've found a more likely culprit than the alternative part.cfgs, I still have the Sonambulic Aerospace pack from a few KW versions ago. I forgot to remove it from my main KSP installation (I have KSP on two different drives and only removed the SA pack from one.)

Still no dice. the log shows all the KW models and textures are loading in, but when it tries to compile several of the parts, it gives me this:

[LOG 11:02:11.522] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KW Rocketry/Parts/Engines/1mWildcat5/part/KW1mengineWildCatV'

[ERR 11:02:11.523] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/1mWildcat5/KW_1mEngine_Wildcat5_M' as model does not exist

[ERR 11:02:11.525] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'KWRocketry/Parts/Structural/KWDecouplerShroud/KW_Auto_1mWildcatShroud' as model does not exist

[ERR 11:02:11.526] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 11:02:11.526] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 11:02:11.527] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Full KW part compile log sequence here

Weird, are the models etc actually where it's saying they are Gamedata/KWRocketry ... etc.?

ehxaustDamage should be exhaustDamage

engines affected:

1mVestaVR1

1mMaverick1D

2mGriffonG8D

1mWildcat5

3mTitanI

2mSPS

3mWildcatXR

2mMaverickV

2mVespaVR9D

Yeah I remember that it's a cast over from the oldschool config files, exhaust damage still works though so I never bothered changing it.

Note that the config files are looking for a directory called "KWRocketry", but they're located in a folder called "KW Rocketry" (with a space), according to that first line you pasted above. If you rename the KWRocketry folder, you break all the configs that reference it.

The KOSMOS and FuzTek Expansion station modules are pretty-much awesome space station modules, between them. KW Rocketry is about Rockets, so I'd prefer to see more awesome rocket stuffs :D The new stuff, especially the slopey Russian-style side booster tanks, are awesome :D

I'm assuming that you are replying to the Ceres-pod discussion, so here's my reply: Yes, you are completely right that KW is about rockets, not stations. However, a command put kind of blurs the line between them, I think. And after all, there is no 3.75m pod in any mod that I know of, so I think that the Ceres would be awesome.

Also, @ KickassKyle, I really don't know how I could have missed those posts. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Note that the config files are looking for a directory called "KWRocketry", but they're located in a folder called "KW Rocketry" (with a space), according to that first line you pasted above. If you rename the KWRocketry folder, you break all the configs that reference it.

Good catch! I didn't even see this. My questions would now be: why didn't this also break the fuel tanks (which worked fine), and why isn't this tripping up more people than just myself? I don't recall having changed the directory structure...

Good catch! I didn't even see this. My questions would now be: why didn't this also break the fuel tanks (which worked fine), and why isn't this tripping up more people than just myself? I don't recall having changed the directory structure...

I just gave both the downloads a quick check and they're both KWRocketry with no space.

So it is a mystery.

Being really picky with this one... but the exhaust for the Vesta is planar. Maybe it is for others, too but that's the one I see the most.

Here's a simple request.... fractional fuel tanks for each series of fuel tank diameter, how about one more at the next fractional size smaller? Yeah there are the default tanks for this but I miss the uniformity of having all KW textures. The smallest of KW tanks are usually a bit too large.

It's cause it uses the RCS effect, which is a single sprite, not a billboard particle stream. Same with SPS.

Kyle, a request if I might, on behalf of all FAR and Deadly Reentry users: would you mind using scaled attach nodes in your parts? size0 nodes on size3 parts means (a) DRE raycasting fails, and (B) either FAR treats that connection as a massive taper, inducing lots of extra drag, or, if using only parts with the wrong node, FAR thinks the vessel is far less wide than it actually is, inducing far less drag than there should be.