[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Being really picky with this one... but the exhaust for the Vesta is planar. Maybe it is for others, too but that's the one I see the most.

Here's a simple request.... fractional fuel tanks for each series of fuel tank diameter, how about one more at the next fractional size smaller? Yeah there are the default tanks for this but I miss the uniformity of having all KW textures. The smallest of KW tanks are usually a bit too large.

I might look into changing the effect for another one.

Also you're suggesting 1/4 height tanks? over the current 0.5 "flat" tanks? I assume.

It's cause it uses the RCS effect, which is a single sprite, not a billboard particle stream. Same with SPS.

Kyle, a request if I might, on behalf of all FAR and Deadly Reentry users: would you mind using scaled attach nodes in your parts? size0 nodes on size3 parts means (a) DRE raycasting fails, and (B) either FAR treats that connection as a massive taper, inducing lots of extra drag, or, if using only parts with the wrong node, FAR thinks the vessel is far less wide than it actually is, inducing far less drag than there should be.

That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Very happy that KW's been updated again - I'm using the Soyuz-style tanks and fuel-containing adapters on just about every rocket now :) But,

I find the 2.5 to 1.25 tank adapter really stretched for what I want to use if for.

I agree with this - if I had a suggestion, it'd be a fuel tank adapter matching the stock 2.5-1.25 adapter in size (the KW one looks to be around twice that).

Very happy that KW's been updated again - I'm using the Soyuz-style tanks and fuel-containing adapters on just about every rocket now :) But,

I agree with this - if I had a suggestion, it'd be a fuel tank adapter matching the stock 2.5-1.25 adapter in size (the KW one looks to be around twice that).

Those fuel adapters were designed to keep the same angle for the sake of continuity, and also to more or less fit the profile of the side-tanks.

It would be easy enough to change the angles and create some alternate tanks that ran off the same texture so i might look into it.

Wow, great to see this updated. Really nice job. I registered to tell you that all of the LFTAs have a dry mass of only 1, making them unbelievably good. I used the LFTA 3-1 as an SSTO with fuel to spare. Any chance we can get these rebalanced? I love the idea, but using them right now seems cheap.

Wow, great to see this updated. Really nice job. I registered to tell you that all of the LFTAs have a dry mass of only 1, making them unbelievably good. I used the LFTA 3-1 as an SSTO with fuel to spare. Any chance we can get these rebalanced? I love the idea, but using them right now seems cheap.

Good shout, I've changed the masses to somewhat scale based on volume with abit tacked on.

2x1 LFTA should be 0.8 drymass,

3x2 LFTA should be 1.75 drymass.

3x1 LFTA should be 2.55 drymass.

Edited by Kickasskyle

Just out of Curiosity, Kyle and Winston, Have you given any thought to where or how you would add the KW parts to the tech tree?

I am asking because I would love to play with the KW pack as part of the career mode.

Just out of Curiosity, Kyle and Winston, Have you given any thought to where or how you would add the KW parts to the tech tree?

I am asking because I would love to play with the KW pack as part of the career mode.

Without a tech tree breakdown I couldn't pin it exactly.

But I guess the idea would be having to level up the sizes 1->2->3.

Unlocking the mid level engine for each size first eg. MaverickV & TitanI. Then progressing onto the others.

I'll probably make the SRBs easier to obtain since that seems like a reasonable idea.

But that's all I've really come up with.

Would it be possible for your next update to have a 3.75m remote guidance unit similar to the stock RC-L01 unit? As stated in a previous post I love what you have done with the mod and due to this I have removed Novapunch and Procedural Fairings.

That thing doesn't just shake itself to bits? I've taken to building out instead of up, which looks horrible but flies true. How'd you pull that off?

I use an inertia wheel in each stage (even the 3 and 5 metre ones), with enough battery to supply them. I also switch off gimbals on the first stage engines.

That plus a heck of a lot of struts. ;)

actual, using procedural fairings you can circumvent the lack of a size-3 probe unit or SAS block: simply stick those inside a size-3 procedural fairings fuselage. In my opinion, this actually looks nicer than having those parts stick out from the rest of the rocket.

actual, using procedural fairings you can circumvent the lack of a size-3 probe unit or SAS block: simply stick those inside a size-3 procedural fairings fuselage. In my opinion, this actually looks nicer than having those parts stick out from the rest of the rocket.

I thought the inertia wheels were more effective if they are spaced out along the craft's axis?

Well, a nice look was more important to me than efficiency when I thought that design up. Nevertheless, I was told that reaction wheels are most effective if they sit on the crafts CoM, but that could be wrong. The only thing I'm sure of is they 'generate' angular momentum on themselves and that gets propagated to the rest of the craft by physics. I tried to think up if it's more efficient to apply angular momentum to the center or the end of an object, but didn't get anywhere with my limited knowledge.

EDIT: actually, spacing them out along a craft probably has the same effect as putting them in the center?

Without a tech tree breakdown I couldn't pin it exactly.

But I guess the idea would be having to level up the sizes 1->2->3.

Unlocking the mid level engine for each size first eg. MaverickV & TitanI. Then progressing onto the others.

I'll probably make the SRBs easier to obtain since that seems like a reasonable idea.

But that's all I've really come up with.

I think it would be smart to place the KW 1.25m engines as further developments of the stock 1.25m engines, if the tech tree is going to work that way. Generally, the 1.25m engines in KW are slightly superior to the stock engines.

Well, a nice look was more important to me than efficiency when I thought that design up. Nevertheless, I was told that reaction wheels are most effective if they sit on the crafts CoM, but that could be wrong. The only thing I'm sure of is they 'generate' angular momentum on themselves and that gets propagated to the rest of the craft by physics. I tried to think up if it's more efficient to apply angular momentum to the center or the end of an object, but didn't get anywhere with my limited knowledge.

EDIT: actually, spacing them out along a craft probably has the same effect as putting them in the center?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/740&bt=4254

I thought the inertia wheels were more effective if they are spaced out along the craft's axis?

reaction wheels are more effective the closer they are to the center of mass.

I think it would be smart to place the KW 1.25m engines as further developments of the stock 1.25m engines, if the tech tree is going to work that way. Generally, the 1.25m engines in KW are slightly superior to the stock engines.

I was thinking something along those lines.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!

Hail Eris, full of mischief... :D

Regarding the tech tree, if the KW engines don't come at the same time as the stock ones, but require further research, then they kinda need to be a significant improvement. Right now I think they're too well balanced to really justify them needing to be further down the tech tree... unless it only requires a small amount of additional research -- is the amount of research needed between nodes adjustable? Can mods even add additional nodes? Hmm... too many unknowns...

Hi guys,

I have a little problem installing this mod. I copied all the files to the GameData map, but somehow i´m missing most of the parts... There are a couple of fueltanks but the rest of the parts are not showing up.

Is it possible i did something wrong installing this mod? (Steam version btw)

KZ

Hi guys,

I have a little problem installing this mod. I copied all the files to the GameData map, but somehow i´m missing most of the parts... There are a couple of fueltanks but the rest of the parts are not showing up.

Is it possible i did something wrong installing this mod? (Steam version btw)

KZ

Not to be patronizing but did you follow the install instructions, because i'm 80% sure you may have just downloaded and dumped the entire contents into the gamedata folder.

If you have another copy of gamedata in your gamedata folder you might have installed it wrong.

I use an inertia wheel in each stage (even the 3 and 5 metre ones), with enough battery to supply them. I also switch off gimbals on the first stage engines.

That plus a heck of a lot of struts. ;)

In my tests, it always seems as though placing reaction wheels in each stage caused a higher variance between the top and bottom of the rocket's angular adjustments. The net effect that the top would start trying to shift left while the bottom was still pushing right and the rocket bends in half. Perhaps I just didn't have enough control authority. What is the formula for that anyway? I guess I'll have to go do some research. Did you have more than two reaction wheels in the lower stages?

I had a bit of a bug in between two versions, right now i've only seen it in the VAB not sure if any ships in space were affected but here it is:

SA4-LFT (the long 1.25m tank) on top of a Wildcat V, the thrusters have all shifted about a meter into the tank since the previous version. Not quite sure what caused this, but the craft was from early september before the recently updated version...