What's your favourite element of the periodic table(if you have one)?

goldenpeach

I like Nitrogen! Its so under appreciated - even though it doesn't do much on its own, its necessary for life on Earth, its a key component of DNA, it appears in the fun volatile ammonia, it makes the very useful storable hypergolics, hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide, and the most efficient solid fuel APCP.

There's actually new solid fuel in development. It's better than APCP in terms of Isp. But it's not quite ready for massive use as of now.

Hydrogen, obviously. Hydrogen + time => everything else. Has very nice energetic properties (fusion fuel, LH2/LOX, has a lot of interesting phases that are also very energetic). Atomic hydrogen reacts with almost any element, also forms one of the strongest chemcal bonds known with itself.

I really am fascinated by Boron. It is most definitely not a boring element, as it can form all sorts of compounds and ions with VERY interesting shapes, due to three-center two-electron bonds.

The Boranes (Boron Hydrides) are especially interesting, given their shapes:

1. Diborane (B2H6) 2. Tetraborane (B4H10) 3. Pentaborane (B5H9) 4. Decaborane (B10H14) 5. The Dodecaborane Anion (B12H12-2)

320px-Diborane-3D-balls.png304px-Tetraborane-3D-balls.png286px-Pentaborane-3D-balls.png305px-Decaborane-3D-balls.png230px-Dodecaborane-3D-balls.png

One of the strongest acids in the world, Carborane Acid, is also based on the dodecaborane cluster.

All of these compounds, and other Boron compounds also burn with a bright green flame, which is really cool.

Those reasons, along with many more, are why I am fascinated by Boron, and its chemistry.

I also have a sample of elemental boron in my element collection, its really interesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.