What's your favourite element of the periodic table(if you have one)?

goldenpeach

My favorite "element" of the periodic table is not an particular atom, but the fact that the table nicely shows relationships between atoms that occur in different columns and areas of the table.

• 4 weeks later...

Tungsten man, you can throw that stuff at the sun and it will ONLY be vaporized by the solar wind (as opposed to melting and boiling). It also happens to be the densest element metabolized by any known form of life. I could go on, but I think it's just pretty awesome in general.

Difficult question...

I cannot really decide.... How about....

... Hassium: named after my home state and discovered at an institute attached to my Alma Mater

... Darmstadtium: named after the city of my Alma Mater ;)

... Technetium: the lightest element without any stable isotopes

... Plutonium: the heaviest element that (still) occurs naturally

Roughly 6.022141 • 1023 Atoms of Silicon-28 weighs precisely a kilogram.

Take out "precisely" and "weighs", and that sentence would have fewer problems.

How can roughly be precise? How does mass weigh anything?

Hydrogen ! It converts to most elements you see today !

And Uranium, for a fact that they naturaly comes from Hydrogen too (the heaviest I guess) and they're very stable for their element number. While there's element 118 it's artificial, and none is detected in nature.

soo many to choose from

Carbon. because complexity

Hydrogen. because simplicity

Helium. because alpha decay

Nitrogen. because energy

Silicon. beep beep beep beep beep

but to choose one?

Iron.

Because it is the ash of ashes. the endpoint of the fusion cycle. the threshold to supernova bred elements.

To quote Bert:

Oh (W)hat is the letter (W)e love?

(W)hat sound are we extra-fond of?

It's not any trouble

You know it's a double-

Yoo (W)hen you hear "(W)huh (W)huh (W)huh…"

…Tungsten.

And that's the only reason I like it. I know, I'm terrible.

And, relevant to what I actually do, there's:

If you'll be my bodyguard

I can be your long lost pal

I can call you Betty

And Betty when you call me

You can call me Al…

…uminum!

My favorites are C, H, O, N, P, and S. They're the basic ingredients of life as we know it.

Aside from that, I'd say Bromine and Mercury. Bromine because of its color, and Mercury because it's liquid at room temperature. Bismuth is quite interesting too, due to its crystals and long-S half-life.

Hi!

Like the tittle say,this thread is to post your favourite element of the periodic table.

Carbon.

hybrid orbitals, practical quantum dynamics

-sp3 bond carbon forms hardest substance

-sp2 bond carbon forms graphite, graphene, and aromatic resonance

-sp1 bond carbon nitrogen-cyanide gas.

molecular weight of 12C is the basis of mass for all other elements.

if you read the molecular weight of any chemical on a bottle, that weight is determined by carbon.

Carbon is the backbone of life. hydrogen and oxygen may drive the energetics but without and effective backbone to store it on, were would life be.

Carbon is also the dominant components of DNA and RNA as well as being the major component of the back bone and is composed of sp3 and sp2 bonds. The aromatic ring structures provide recognition (2 versus 3 hydrogen bonds)

Carbon represents 2/3rds of the backbone of polypeptides and a large majority of the backbone of the side chains.

Carbon carbon bonds represents the source of much of the energy in oil and almost all of the energy in coal. These are the drivers of the industrial revolution.

Without carbon no cars, no planes, no jets, no gas stoves, no food, no nature, without carbon the earth looks like a muddy moonscape.

There are more characterized molecular derivatives containing carbon than any other compound, it is the most diverse material in the Universe as far as we know.

Here is one H3C-CH2-OH. Another (−)-(6aR,10aR)-6,6,9-Trimethyl-3-pentyl-6a,7,8,10a-tetrahydro-6H-benzo[c]chromen-1-ol (if you are from California, Oregon or Colorado).

WestAir said:
Iron.

The most stable element in the Universe, baby!

Aktually, if you think about it, Helium, Xenon and other noble gasses would be the most stable bekause they are kompletely non-reaktive. Right, any khemists that happen to be reading this?

Edited by extremegamer2039
Making my grammar more Kerbal by replacing certain Cs with Ks.

• 2 months later...
Actually, if you think about it, Helium, Xenon and other noble gasses would be the most stable because they are completely non-reactive. Right, any chemists that happen to be reading this?

That's chemical stability. Iron is the most stable in terms of subatomic particles.

Helium actually can react, btw.

Iron cannot be fused within a star, it take energy to fuse, but doesn't release any.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.